Daypacks | SouthernPaddler.com

Daypacks

dawallace45

Over the years I've used a lot of day packs and most just don't do it for me , they are either too big , too small , too heavy or too uncomfortable to be able to carry around while hunting , also most day packs are just too bloody hot on your back

I've been using a day pack set up that consists of a Army style web belt with bumpack and shoulder straps , either side of the bumpack I have two army water bottles , now this works great and is very comfortable and I can carry pretty much every thing I need for a day or even a forced over night stay , unfortunately the bloody Alice clips and metal work on the web belt really scratch up the rifle stocks and don't do my bows and fishing rods any good either ,

I've been looking at the Badlands Monster pack http://www.badlandspacks.com/monster.php , haven't seen one up close and personal yet but was wondering if any one on this list has tried one and what were their impressions ?

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dave, I haven't sen one of these yet. Lots of fanny packs out there. Seems to be a good idea.

Day packs seem to use the excuse of, "Well, I;m not carrying your home-away-from-home load, so I can break some of the proven rules about packs. For the last few years, the internal frame pack has become popular. My preference still runs to a lightweight frame from which hangs a bag of some kind. The frame does the work and the bag holds the goods. Much more forgiving, in my mind. And -you get that precious ventilation. You cna hang lots of kinds of bags all on the same frame.

My old frame has 3/4" thick felt pads under the shoulder straps. Ahhhh.

Also, don't forget the simple tumpline for carrying a lighter pack.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Dave,

As you know, I don't hunt any more, as much as I would love to be able to.

I found an insulated back pack at a camping /army disposal store in Bundaberg a while back that suits my bush walking needs beautifully. It sits and rides real comfortable on my back - holds enough food and water for both Robin and I for a full days hiking, though is a little small to carry camp gear.

My point is, if you are looking for something light, very comfortable and insulated to keep your food fresh in our heat. I think you would need to look a long way for something better.

dawallace45

Jack / Mick

Over the years I've owned a lot of different packs and used a lot more that I've borrowed off others to try , and most of them have been good in their own right , had several packs with external frame and two of them I cut down to suit my needs better but I find a normal pack just isn't right for me , with a couple of damaged vertebrae down low , a curvature of the spine and a couple of damaged disks up high that give me grief and arthritis through pretty much every joint I've found the only system that works really well for me is a lumbar pack with shoulder straps ,

I can use this sort of pack all day with out trouble , most of the weight is taken on the hips with some being taken on the shoulders but not enough to make it stress my back , of course I have to make sure the pack is balanced so I'm not carrying more weight on one side but it's not as big a problem as it is with a normal back pack ,

In the past I've put my back out while out hunting and had to dump pretty much every thing I was carrying except my rifle just to make it back to my camp , I generally work on the idea that if I don't carry much out then I don't have to carry much back ,

I have a set amount of stuff that I carry in a day pack ,

Magnesium flint and striker ,

Waterproof / windproof matches ,

Half a expired flare [ can be used for signalling but mainly used for lighting fires when the timber is soaking wet ,

Poncho that doubles as a hoochie and folds up small ,

Net hammock that rolls up about the size of a tennis ball ,

Shower proof nylon jacket with silver coating inside that folds up small enough to fit into a pocket , very light weight ,

Old CD to use as signalling mirror ,

Pair of socks and spare jocks ,

Small space blanket ,

Small wet synthetic chamois in zip lock bag ,

Sunscreen/ bug lotion and lip balm ,

Condy's crystals (potassium permanganate) ,

Aluminium canteen cup to boil water in ,

Tea bags ,

Couple of packets of cup-a-soup ,

Dozen or so muesli bars ,

Pack of instant rice and pack of noodles ,

Zip lock pack of Jerky ,

Small pocket knife ,

Toilet paper and wet wipes ,

Haemorrhoid cream ,

Small tube of Savlon ,

Small roll of Elastoplast ,

4 Ultra thin Sanitary napkins

Dozen bandaids ,

Strip of Panadol Forte ,

Small bottle of Teatree oil ,

100 ml of Metho ,

10 metres thin nylon string ,

2 metres of stainless steel trace wire ,

Roll of duct tape ,

20 rds of ammo ,

The surprising thing is how little all this weighs and how small it packs , the weight of the pack actually doubles when I add 2 litres of water , all this fits into a army style bum pack with out any problem ,

When I was in my early twenties I used to carry more stuff but found I didn't need it , all the stuff on the list is there because It's stuff that got used

If I'm hunting in a area where I'm not far from the car or camp then I don't carry most of it , but I've often hunted areas that were very rough in variable weather where getting stuck out over night was always on the cards so the most of that gear is carried for that eventuality and it's been needed quite often , that bit of gear makes all the difference between being stuck out over night huddled under a tree trying not to freeze or being able to have a nice warming fire and sleep dry ,

I've often been caught out over night in hot dry areas where my natural curiosity about what lay beyond the next bend of the gorge or over the next ridge has found me too far from camp or the car to get back before dark and where trying to travel at night was just too foolhardy , and I have to say that being able to have some thing hot to eat , some where reasonably comfortable to sleep and being able to have a sponge down and change jocks and socks is very welcome ,

In high humidity areas like North Queensland I put a little Tee Tree Oil or condy's crystals into the zip lock packet with the chamois as it is a disinfectant and stops fungus forming on you ,

Some of the things on my list may have some people confused like the Sanitary napkin , but they are great as wound pad ,

I once slipped 50 metres down a almost vertical rocky slope and ripped a big gash in my leg , I didn't notice it at first because I was pretty banged up and hurting in so many other places that I didn't notice it until I started making sloshing sounds in my boot ,

Gash was a couple of inches long and about a inch deep , I washed the area off in Metho , put some Teatree oil on it and held it together with Elastoplast then put a sanitary napkin on it and wrapped the rest of the Elastoplast over it , took 5 Panadol Forte and made it back to camp , fell asleep as soon as I got back ,

Next morning I wasn't feeling too flash and my ankles were swollen up so bad there was no way I could put a boots on , funny thing was I hadn't realised I'd hurt my ankle , drove the 170 km into town and saw the doctor at the hospital ,

Well he just freaked , seems that I hadn't noticed that the whole back of my head was just a mass of dried blood , had a screaming headache and was dizzy , but as every other thing hurt just as much it didn't register ,

I had managed to tear up all the tendons and ligaments in my left ankle and knee , broke a couple of bones in my foot , fractured my knee cap , managed to do pretty much the same on the ankle and knee of the right leg just not as bad , also managed to put my back out bad and had a slight fracture of my collar bone , a broken rib and pretty much every thing else was just badly bruised

When the doctor had me strip down to my jocks I was just a black and blue mess , the left leg looked awful as it was still covered in dried blood , and to add insult to injury the fall had completely destroyed my scope , I looked so bad I wasn't game to go home , if Shirley had seen me like that she would have screamed bloody blue murder next time I wanted to go hunting alone , so went back and got my gear and moved down to my mates property close to town , that wasn't a fun job , driving 170 km each way with severe concussion on rough roads and then trying to pack up camp while getting around on crutches ,

Mate wasn't married at the time and was recovering from a appendicis operation , actually I run into him at the hospital as he was being released , we spent the next two weeks drinking beer smoking cigars and shooting rabbits from the window of his house , [ had to drink beer , bloody painful shooting from inside a house when you have concussion if your not ] , he had a mass of warrens about 200 to 300 metres from the house so we just sat there drinking beer and sniping rabbits as they put their heads up for the whole two weeks .

The set up I have now is near perfect except for the metal clips scratching up my rifle stocks and I've tried different things like Elastoplast over the clips and catches and while it works for a while it's not a long term solution , also the heat makes the Elastoplast sticky and gooey and it looks like crap , the Badlands monster looks like the perfect solution , if I can get down to Brisbane in a month or two them may be I can have a look at one , I hear my favourite gun store has them

Mick , if you want to get back into hunting you only have to join the SSAA , that will give you all the legal reason to own a firearm you need , they can also arrange for the safety course you will need , Hell I even have a few guns I can sell you , or if you don't want to go that way then take up bowhunting ,

David

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Note to self:
Do not go hunting, or anywhere else with Dave unless accompanied by an ambulance, surgeon, accupuncturist and a dozen rabbits feet :lol:

dawallace45

John

Not a problem , you have to remember that I used to go hunting for 3 or 4 days at least once a month for many years and had a 2 week hunting trip every year as well , not to mention the time I spent shooting roos for a living , also not to mention that I used to hunt around the Teatree swamps for pigs where I used to live pretty much every afternoon for about 4 hours , [ Most of that area is built over now , you probably pass it every day ] so I spent a fair bit of time in the scrub and only got hurt a couple of hand full of times , when you average it out spending that amount of time in rough country by your self and having a naturally inquisitive and curious nature [ okay , borderline obsessive/compulsive ] you have to expect some injuries , it's what you pay for the fun , you know the old saying , " if you play , you pay "

Now days my wife has banned me from going hunting by my self for more than day trips , she reckons I tend to push the envelope too much , [ I've actually never thought I did but she tends to be a big chicken , Don't tell her I said that , LOL ] got to admit I'm much more cautious on water

But I've never got into any trouble I couldn't get out of by my self no matter how injured , I'm actually one of the most carefull people you will find when hunting , but things happen , you just have to accept that
David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Dave,

Compared to you, I travelled primitive. :shock:

small nylon tarp and jacket, water - if in arid land, matches, small sheath knife and rifle. (must be the black feller in me) :lol: I ate what I shot and drank the water I found. Toilet paper would have been nice - real nice but I was either too lazy or too dumb to carry it.

oh yeah, I forgot, a small billy (pot for boiling water) and tea. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
hairymick said:
... Toilet paper would have been nice - real nice but I was either too lazy or too dumb to carry it.
NOTE to self: Stand back 4-5 paces when shaking hands with Mick. :p

I expect that hunter-gathering societies experienced similar injuries, Dave. Name of the game. I'd get knocked about a bit on dirt bikes (rocks and trees actually do get up and attack people here in the US, and on Okinawa too), but never got hurt bad out tramping/ camping/ hunting around.

Sounds like my terrain was not as precipitous as yours, so gravity didn't get as big a bite on me. The Sierra Nevadas taught me to respect sharp drop offs and steep sides (going both up and down) and masses of granite. Also, rivers that ran cold and deep and fast. Also big shaggy things that growl in the night.

I carry neosporin triple strength with pain reliever for my ouwies, such as cuts and abrasions. (Funny, I haven't used any of that in the year since Katie left to live with her Dad??!!) I carry duct tape not in a roll, but wrapped around a length of flexible plastic (cut from the side of a milk jug) about 6" X 2". Can get about 1/4 roll on there and it packs flat.

I also carry a Sawyer Extractor that REALLY sucks out venom, stingers, and slivers. Makes bug bites quit stinging and itching right now. Comes in a yhellow, plastic box about 4" X 6"; if you can't find it or get it on the net, let me know and I'll send you one. (Campmor #81296)

dawallace45

Jack

Strangely enough the reason I fell down the bloody slope was because I was doing some fancy footwork dodging a Mulga snake , now I have to admit that snakes in general scare the crap out of me , and having a 9 ft Mulga snake around my feet had me some what distracted and I didn't notice how close to the edge I was until it gave way under my feet , Mulga Snakes are very very dangerous , don't know what happened to it as it wasn't with me when I got to the bottom

Mick , once upon a time I used to hunt like that but soon discovered that soft toilet paper wasn't a luxury it was a necessity , not much worse that having to walk back to camp in stinking hot weather with a red raw ring gear , most of the places I hunted water was very very scarce and generally not safe for drinking , if you had to rely on the water in the areas then you could only hunt part of the year , but water being scarce made the hunting easier as the beasties were limited as to where they could come to water

When I used to go on longer hunts and when I was roo shooting I used to bring fresh food for 3 days , that was as long as my ice would last , after that I used to eat roo , had a good supply of dried herbs and spices and took along dried peas , mashed potato powder , rice and pasta as well as tins of chopped tomato , in winter fresh vegetables like potato and pumpkin used to last for weeks but in summer they tended to dry up and shrivel very quickly even when hung in a net in the shade

(must be the black feller in me)

Hell Mick even the black fellers carry water and toilet paper these days and I'm yet to meet one of them who thinks Roo , goanna and yams are better than tinned meat , damper and jam

David

My poncho makes a fantastic hooch, but never tried it as a hoochie! :twisted:

The pack that I carry is a Maxpedition Falcon II. Light and small enough, but plenty of extra room for clothing and such for an on-the-spot-unexpected packing arrangement... should the need arise.

FWIW- What you described is pretty much a modified 782 setup like we used int the military. In that case- we used to replace all the ALICE clips with parachute cord. This way, nothing ever came loose, and nothing poked you or rubbed you when not wearing a shirt. Just an option.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Paracord to replace the clips sounds good to me. Those clips got to be irritating really quickly. I will try tying my 782 instead of clipping it together.

dawallace45

Been a while since I've had internet [ bloody broadband modem crapped it's self ] so I'm only just replying to this now

When I was down in Brisbane last month I had a look at the Badlands Monster Lumbar pack , I was impressed , it's now mine , I've only done about 90 km with it so far but it's definitely the most comfortable pack I've ever used , this thing is great , it has enough room for a day hunt and if you wanted to strap a Hennessey hammock on top just enough room for a over nighter , on that note I've sold my Hennessey expedition and when the Aussie dollar goes up again I'll be getting a Safari , much more suitable to the gentleman with the fuller figure

Bootlegger , will try the parachute cord on my old pack and keep it as a spare or loaner

David

When politicians pass laws that will be obeyed only by the law-abiding, they content themselves that
they have taken action.
As a consequence, while our leaders are absorbed with media interviews and mutual congratulations,
the original problems are left to fester.
Sanctimony never stopped a bullet, or prevented an overdose and no criminal has ever been
frightened by a photo-op...