Differences | SouthernPaddler.com

Differences

dawallace45

A mate of mine goes over to the USA every couple of years to go hunting and catch up with some friends of his in Oregon , he reckons that he finds Americans very much like us except they miss-trust their government even more than we do and for some other little differences but doesn't know if those differences are nation wide or just in the areas where he visits , for instance certain foods are hard to find , he reckons that when he first went to Oregon about 15 years ago buying lamb or mutton was imposable but it's now getting easier to find ,

Sausages , he reckons that all the sausages tend to be of the preserved sort like Knockwurst's and such and the sort of fresh sausages we are used to just don't seem to exist

Butcher shops , he reckons that the small butcher shops we are used to just don't exist and people buy meat from the meat section of the supermarket or delicatessen , here buying meat from the supermarket is a last resort

Now don't get me wrong the mate loves his visits to the USA but he can't get over what seems to him a major fascination with junk or fast food , mate has lived his whole life on a cattle property where buying fast food meant a three hour round trip , he doesn't realise that many city people are addicted to junk food here too

Mate couldn't understand how the quality of meat could be so bad right in the middle of a cattle raising area and why the people put up with it

He also thought that much of the food was very bland even though there was a lot of it , I suggested he go visit Louisiana next trip to the USA

But all in all he loves visiting the USA but in all the trips there he has only ever seen Oregon and the road from LA to there and most of that was by night and he slept most of the way but it all got me thinking

I keep hearing that it's cheaper to live in the USA than Australia but how do things stack up ,

What are house and land prices like in the different areas of the USA compared to here ? I don't know what it's like in a major city like Brisbane but here where I live on a small acreage [ 5 acres ] about 5 minutes out of a very small town , population doubles every time a tour bus pulls up for fuel , but it's only 60 km down the road from Gladstone , a harbour city with lots of industry so most people do their shopping in Gladstone and most work there , we have no crime and most people have never locked their doors even when they go away for holidays
Now the down turn in the economy has effected land prices and blocks near me then sold for $190,000 a few years back would now sell for $160,000 , the house and land across the road is for sale for $399,000 but the house is a small box and really they couldn't expect to see more than $350,000 for it [ woman who owned it took a job interstate ] , the house beside me is for sale for $460,000 and it's over priced too ,

Materials are expensive here and in this area most houses cost around $1300 per sq metre

Council rates cost us about $800 a year but we don't have town water and our rates are cheap , my sister down Brisbane way pays around $2000 for her rates on a house block too small to swing a cat

Insurance , since the flooding earlier this year our insurance has gone up , even though we were no where near any flooding we now pay about $800 or near as per year as they reckon that to replace out house would cost $580,000 , I find this a bit of a con as a mate down where I used to live only pays the same and his place is 6 acres 80 metres from the beach with a view over the ocean , he also has 5 bedrooms , three bathrooms , large lounge , dining and kitchen , formal lounge , family room , office , reloading room , gym , spar and pool , 10 ft veranda on three sides , 3 car accommodation plus a 12 metre x 12 metre workshop and the place is valued at $1,800,000 , some thing wrong some where

Fuel costs about $1.50 per litre last I checked , no telling what it is today

A base model Jeep Wrangler costs about $32,000

The registration per year on my twin cab utility cost about $830 per year with compulsory third party insurance

A drivers license costs $75 for 5 years

A firearms license costs about $150 every 5 years

So guys how do things stack up , what are prices like in your areas ? , can you get a decent hamburger ?

David

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
David wrote
Mate couldn't understand how the quality of meat could be so bad right in the middle of a cattle raising area and why the people put up with it

David\,
The quality of meat is probably because there is no local butcher shops. Any butchering done is at the supermarket where they will process a beef quarter that has been shipped in from who knows where.It's the same with every thing. instead of being locally raised all our food is shipped in and in the event of an infastructure failure we would starve(unless you had bullets).
Bob

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The USA is Like Australia , so big that different areas have different cost and food and government expenses.
I live in Texas and that is cattle country, good beef is here. a butcher shop 5 blocks from me.
Home made sausages are there also.
Land in my area is cheap , you can buy large blocks for 2 to 3 thousand an acre, smaller blocks up to 7 thousand an acre.
No license to own a gun
Drivers license 25 dollars for 4 years
insurance for vehicle ,min is 450.00 a year
Jeep Wrangler , base about 22 thousand
fuel is cheaper but floating up and down like crazy right now
Sheep , mutton ,yuck :lol: not popular in TX now goat you can find
The farther south you get in my opion the better the food .
You can build a house here for less than half of 1300 a ft.
Ron

dawallace45

Ron

The south sounds like the place to live , got to admit that I like the Tex/Mex cooking , also like Cajun cooking too , goat is good meat but I do like a good lamb roast , nothing better , wouldn't give you two bob for mutton though I find it a little too rank and greasy but a lot of the old timers I knew growing up preferred it that way

Sounds like your costs are a lot lower than ours , I know that firearms cost about double here and stuff like fishing lures cost about 4 times what they do in the USA , my trailer registration is $108 per year for each trailer and I have three of them , open trailer for carrying the Ozark float boat and any thing I can't fit into my ute , boat trailer and my camper trailer , all starts to add up after a while

Down in Brisbane the cost per sq metre for building a house is slightly cheaper at around $1000 , but it all depends on the level of finish , builder mate 200 metres up the road reckons that my place would have cost $1500 per sq metre so if I'd had some one else build it then there is no way I could ever have afforded it , building it my self meant that my only cost was materials

Chuck was talking about costs in another post , here the cost of fresh fruit and vegetables has gone up incredibly since all the flooding , last week the supermarket was asking $14 a kilo for bananas , needless to say we weren't buying any , the butcher we go to has a sign up on the counter apologizing for the fact that they are having to charge about 25% more for poorer quality meat that they would generally stock and promise that prices and quality will go back to normal as soon as possible I had to buy 4 new Michelin tyres for the twin-cab a few months ago , $320 each ,

David

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I put 5 new tires on the Jeep and it ran me $600.00 for the 5 of them plus calipers on the front brakes and a steering stabilizer shock on the front. The tires are both off the road or on the pavement type. 5 tires are the 4 on the ground and the spare , I want a spare the same size as the ones on the ground.

The house next to me just sold for $89,000 and it is a three bedroom , one bath , large living/family room a plus a utility room , pantry and kitchen and the dinning room. It was a bank foreclosure and went for a lot less then it should but with all the homes in foreclosure today it is easy pickings.

As far as butcher shops , none in the immediate area but there is one in Sanford about 20 miles from here. I was reading a article in the paper where a person was ticked off at hunters for shooting wild game. They posted that the hunters should go to the grocery store to get there meat since that is where they make the meat and to stop the unnecessary killing of the wild animals. :roll: My guess is that since the grocery store is where they make the meat for a person to purchase ( according to that idiot ) that is why the price keeps going up.
Hamburger at the grocery.... $4.39 to $4.99 a pound ( this week) . That is the beef they grind up and can't be used for anything else but ground meat. :wink:

dawallace45

The average wage really isn't any thing to go by as the differences are just too great between the bottom and the top , Average wage is supposed to be about $66,000 but the minimum wage is about $29,700 and there are a lot more people on the minimum wage than not , miners tend to be one of the top paid blue collar workers and earn around $120,000 + per year , my brother who drives a train hauling iron ore takes in more than $160,000 per year , he lives in a 5 bedroom house that his company mostly pays for [ he only has to pay about $30 per week for it , it's fully air conditioned and the company pays most of his power bill , but where he works they have the air conditioning on all year round as the summer temp is up around 120*F to 130*F for at least half the year and the rest of the year is like our summer here , he has good hours and pretty much works one week on and one week off , he owns 5 houses in two states that he rents out and will probably retire a millionaire if his wife doesn't spend it all first

My wife is the regional controller for Agri-Business Wide Bay area for the ANZ Bank and the Assistant to the regional manager and works long hours mostly from home but also has to travel a lot , she has a lot of responsibility and stress and earns about $70,000

Our sliding tax rate is such that if you earned $60,000 you would end up paying about $13,550 in tax

A bottle of Jack Daniels will cost you about $40 fro a discount liquor outlet and about $50 to $60 from most ordinary pubs , beer costs around $50 for a case of 30 cans

From our butcher we get beef mince for $5.50 per kilo but it's all top quality lean beef , not scraps they can't use any where else , T-bone steak costs about $15.99 a kilo when you buy a full T- Bone and rump is the same when you buy a full rump the price is slightly higher if your only buying a few steaks or a few kilo , but our prices are about half what you would expect to pay in Brisbane

I would say that most people that I know probably earn around $50,000 per year

Chuck for $89,000 you would get a house block out the back of Woop Woop but no house

Down around where Mick lived you would get a nice modern house on a house block or a small acreage just out of town for around $400,000

David

dawallace45

Guys , made a blue , house insurance is $1400 per year , I screwed up , still don't see why I'm paying the same as my mate with a place worth 4 times as much

Ron what is the average wage where you are and any idea what the minimum wage for a 40 hour week is and does it differ greatly from state to state

David

WDfrmTN

Federal Minimum Wage (thank you lefty libs :twisted: ) is $7.25/hr.
Some States also have mandated minimum wages higher than the Fed: :) http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm
The income tax laws screw the real earnings numbers up pretty good against solid figuring, though - we have this crap called "Earned Income Credit" that lets folks get higher refunds than even the taxes they paid in, while folks like me get soaked pretty good.