Does tight weave wet out clear like regular weave fiberglass cloth? | SouthernPaddler.com

Does tight weave wet out clear like regular weave fiberglass cloth?

Outdigenous

Sep 27, 2020
My only fiberglass cloth experience is with 6 oz regular weave from RAKA. Wondering could I get the same transparency with the 3 1/2 oz tight weave. Mr. Chuck, do you leave your boats mostly clear, or painted? Thanks.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I use the 3 1/2 tight weave from RAKA and it comes out clear. Most of my boats were clear but the bottoms were graphite and epoxy mix which is Black . I did use some Teflon epoxy paint that was white on a couple others.
Here is a link to Matt's web site , JemWatercraft and the 14 foot Sasquatch I made. It has the white Teflon paint on the bottom and up to just past the water line.

( The 14 was from a kit with the wood furnished , the other was a Pygmy Coho Kayak , also with the white bottom. )

Here is a article my youngest daughter posed that shows the Kayak and even a 16 foot Uncle Johns Pirogue I made from 144 red wood strips.

Reactions: Outdigenous

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
After reading about Chuck using 3.5 oz to build light weight, I used it on a uncle john type with luan. It iseasy to work with. I like to use it on decks and other places besides the hull. I especially like it over graphics. Last time I tried to order it RAKA didn't have it.

Outdigenous

Sep 27, 2020
Thanks Old Sparkey for confirming the tight weave's transparency AND the pics of the boats, they are beauties for sure.

Outdigenous

Sep 27, 2020
Thanks Old Buff Pilot.
I'm wanting to try the 3.5 tight weave not only for saving weight but also expecting a bit more panel stiffness. I hope RAKA has it again when I order, it is on the store website as if they do have it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Thanks Old Sparkey for confirming the tight weave's transparency AND the pics of the boats, they are beauties for sure.

My youngest watched me take the kayak for it's 1st run and when I was paddling back to shore she looked at me and asked , How is MY BOAT doing. Right then I knew I had lost the kayak to her , it was just a matter of when.
I liked the tight weave since it is easy to work with and offers lighter weight and the extra protection of a ( Normal ) heavier weight glass , a winner all the way around.