Doing the Black Bottom | SouthernPaddler.com

Doing the Black Bottom

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
(There's a dance from the Roarin' 20's called the Black Bottom.)

I am a confirmed believer in using graphite enriched epoxy on the outside bottom of boats. But, lately, I've begun to wonder - does it really need to be three coats thick?

If one coat presents a graphite enriched surface to the water (and to underwater obstacles), why do I need more? If it didn't fully cover in one coat, and it never seems to, wouldn't only two coats do as well as three for slipperiness?

What do you guys think?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Good point. Also, could you just include a graphite coat as one of your fill coats instead of completely sealing up the bottom and then applying the graphite coat? Might cut out a bit o' weight and a bit o' epoxy.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I agree, Mick. When I drag my boats over sharp edges of broken granite, gneiss, feldspar, quartz, flint, etc. I want a lot of protection. But, I'm beginning to think that two layers may well suffice overall, with extra down the keel line.

Just starting to question, and ponder, and listen. Thanks for your input, Mick & Joey.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Two good coats might do the trick , I just like the three lighter ones and , who knows , two might be just as good.

I'll give it a shot on the canoe I'm building and see if two is plenty.

I did try it on a piece of wood with two coats on it , that was a long time ago ( when I was doing the symposiums about building wood boats and outdoor activities , camping , paddling here in Florida ) to show how it helps to protect the bottom over just plain epoxy , a key scraped across it ( same force as in keying a vehicle) could not damage it. Even had some of the audience try it to prove I was not taking it easy with it.

Grant you , that key was nothing like paddling up on a rock , cement or limestone or even Oysters in a loaded canoe.

Chuck.
PS. No I have never keyed a vehicle , wanted to but restrained myself.

stickbow

Feb 25, 2009
Americus, GA
I've only used graphite on one of the 'poxy boats I built, so have a low sample rate. It significantly improved the scrape factor on rocks and oyster shells, but in the places I only put two coats (above the second chine) it was more prone to damage than below the chine, where there were three.

Question though:

What's the best place (meaning cheapest I reckon) to get graphite powder? The reason I only used two coats on the upper part is 'cause I ran out, and I am cheap.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Re:

jdupre' said:
Good point. Also, could you just include a graphite coat as one of your fill coats instead of completely sealing up the bottom and then applying the graphite coat? Might cut out a bit o' weight and a bit o' epoxy.

How much weight and expoxy cost would you save by not putting on the third coat? And you guys that paddle on gravel and rocks. How much is the extra protection the third coat
gives your boat worth?
Bob