Driving trip to 11point | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Driving trip to 11point

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Kayak Jack said:
Juan Valdez and his donkey.
Juan worked fer the same cartel az Felix....til the CIA bought him off. Eugene Hassenfus did too. One of my chopper flyin' pals frum the police action over in asia hired out ta 'em too.

Jest ta show how small the world iz, Tom Sullivan, a well liked fella in Keith 'n Seed Tick's part of the world bought a plane off one of the "guns fer dope" Contra program. I reckon I oughta quit now cuz I dont aim ta end up like Vince Foster.

regards
bearridge

The President has kept all of the promises he intended to keep. George Stephanopolous

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I was thnkin of going back this weekend but not with this cold rain I'm gettin. Maybe the next. Good thing I'm starting the trip early right.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Had to go back to look :D

It started life as a Pygmy Boats Osprey Standard kayak. Which is, BTW, the best paddling kayak I've ever been in.

I modified it last summer by cutting off about 3' of deck both fore and aft of the cockpit. I then added a coaming all the way around the opening. It is two layers of 1/2" plywood topped off with a 2 1/2" wide lip made of 1/8" plywood.

Next modification (as Socrates said, "Modification in everything!") will be adding rope around the top of the coaming. This will be 3/8" braided rope. Start at the aft end of the now, longer cockpit, and drill holes on each side. Thread rope into the hole on each side, tie a keeper knot, and string rope forward along the gunnel. I'll drill matching pairs of holes in strategic locations along the gunnel moving forward. The rope will dip down again and re-emerge every foot or two full length until I get to the front of the cockpit.

This rope will serve several purposes. It will be a grab rope in case I have to re-enter the boat from the water. It will be where I stick a paddle at a 90 degree position to the centerline of the boat, so it sticks out at right angles. I'll attach a paddle float for stabilization in case of wet reentry.

Near my knees, I'll quietly lay down my paddle onto rope instead of clunking it onto the wooden gunnels. Hopefully, this quieter method will let me get a bit closer to better see wildlife.

Lastly, it will serve as tie down points for criss cross lashing gear into the boat.

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
oldyaker said:
I bet ya didn't know Jack's nickname is 'Grace'..........
Oh%20Canada%20048.jpg

I did it for you Chucky.......Sometimes a skeleton just has to come out of a closet. Besides....I didn't get a pix of you swimming in the buff after you checking the bottom of your boat.! Or did I? :wink:

It's ok Jackie,
I've had a few mornings like that too! Just rinse yer face off next time!

Lee