Ebenezer Creek and Sasquatch 14 x 30 paddling report. | SouthernPaddler.com

Ebenezer Creek and Sasquatch 14 x 30 paddling report.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This is a combination paddling report and report on how the Sasquatch 14 x 30 handles.

Arrived at Fort McAllister State Park and set up camp. The camp sites are rather large since I was in a RV Site , all the tent sites were taken so I lucked out on this RV site.
creek%20003.jpg

Five of us meet up in Rincon , GA to paddle the Ebenezer Creek, We meet at the Mickey D's in Rincon and left from there for the creek. I arrived at the Mickey D's to see Oldyaker standing in the parking lot next to a pickup with a canoe on the top. I parked next to him and we went in for some breakfast.
Next thing we knew a lady was asking us if we were with the canoes (I swear we did not look that bad) We said we were and she introduced her self as Nancy and will be part of the folks paddling.

The three of us are sitting there and in comes a Jeep with a kayak on the top, It's John and he is going. In comes another vehicle with a 21 foot kayak and it turns out to be Paddling Dave who is heading up the trip since Frankie suffered some back injuries and could not make it.

Mickey D's was starting to look like a paddling boat convention.

After Howdies all around we made a convoy by following Paddling Dave to the put in for the trip.

Dropped the boats in the water and took out up stream.

Nancy on the left , Paddling Dave in the center and John on the right.

creek%20007.jpg

Paddling Dave on the left and John on the right... Trying to get a picture of Nancy ... all I saw was the backside of her boat as she was always ahead of us , way down river.

creek%20009.jpg

Oldyaker doing what he always does and I am looking forward to seeing all his pictures.

creek%20008.jpg

After a while we came to a blockage of weeds across the creek and Paddling Dave and Nancy tried to make there way threw them, Nancy got stuck, the rudder on her kayak was down and she could not go forward or backward.

To help her out I paddled my canoe in past Paddling Dave ( he was in the weeds ) and unstuck her rudder so she could back out. That's the nice thing of having a shorter boat , mine was 14 and Paddling Dave's was 21 ... his would of never made it over to where she was stuck.
Nancy asked me if I could make it threw all of the weeds to the clear water and I told her ... without any problems but I don't think they can.
I have to say that the weeds and the rest of the junk in the water did not have any adverse effect on the canoes ability of getting in there and getting out. It was like the weeds were not there.

After Nancy got back in clear water we started back down stream, passed the put in and continued all the way to the Savanna River and pulled out there for a break. After the break we paddled a short way back up the Savanna River to Ebenezer Creek and then back up to the put in and our vehicles.

All in all the trip was about 5 hours long on one beautiful creek that is Cypress and Tupelo Tree lined and primitive. It is a really nice day paddling creek and a person sure can relax when on it.

By the way ... This is the creek all those slaves drowned in when tagging along behind the Union Forces on the march across Georgia. The General made a bridge for his troops to cross on and when they got across he ordered the bridge destroyed to the slaves could not go any further. The slaves did not want to stay on the one side with Confederate forces in the area so they chose to cross by swimming and drown then to be recaptured.

The Sasquatch 14 x 30 is an easy to paddle canoe, it moves along with very little effort and with just myself in it (no camping gear) it floats high and dry.

creek%20006.jpg

The wind did affect it ( to a very small degree) and I corrected by paddling on the leeward side of the canoe which keep it going where I wanted it to go. The wind signature would decrease when it would be loaded with camping gear , as it would be sitting lower in the water and have less ability of weathercocking on me.

Getting in it, the initial stability is tipsy, ( It could of been partly me but not all of it ) it does want to rock a roll with you, when paddling it, it is as solid as a rock and just moves along. Again I think that is because all that was in it was me and my 212 pounds on this paddle. With camping gear and sitting lower in the water it would have more initial stability.

I have not paddled a boat since last November, the surgery in January would not let me paddle till the one led into the heart was completely secure (from the new defibrillator) so it has been 11 months since I paddled and this canoe did not tire me or cause any problems since it is such an easy paddling canoe. Just dip the paddle in and go, without working at it.
The canoe does have a large glide range to it , you don't have to paddle like a mad man to keep it going.

Overall.....
Speed .................. Really good for a canoe but nothing like a kayak will do.
Ease of paddling.... I would say extremely easy and fun to paddle.
Maneuverability..... It will turn around on itself without any effort when wanted.
Draft.....................A light draft and shallow boat , does not need a lot of water under it.
Tracking............... Holds true to the direction you want to go.
Wind Signature..... As light as it is there is a slight signature , like all canoes but not as bad.
Knuckle banging.... I had none during the whole trip on the creek.
Ease of Building..... Very easy , the kit goes together like a dream.
Weight..................It's the lightest boat I have with it at 30 pounds.
Looks.................. That is a problem , everyone who sees it has to ask about it. ***

One major problem with the Sasquatch I did find is where ever you are with it .... be ready to answer questions about it. Everywhere I stopped on this trip, someone would come up and ask about the canoe. No matter where I was, the campground, Mickey D's, Loves Seafood, Rest Stops, Gas stations ..... EVERYWHERE.

By the way ... Oldyaker was right , Loves Seafood is out of this world , I had the combo of the Catfish fillets with Ga White Shrimp and BOY were they GOOD and lots of both. Back at camp ... I was one stuffed puppy, but quite happy.

A nice trip , good company , a great canoe to paddle and beautiful scenery with out of this world chow , who could ask for anything more. :D :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ron...

Part of the fun is going there and then returning.

On the way back I pulled in for a hamburger and parked out so I could see my rig. It pays to keep an eye on it.

Folks would pull in and either look at the canoe or walk over and run there hands along it. Sometimes the best show is outside when eating a bite.

A couple of guys were at a table near me and they keep looking out at the canoe , there discussion got around to canoes and what they cost. Both of them figured I had to shell out $1,500.00 to $2,500.00 for that canoe. :lol: :lol: :lol:

After I finshed eating , I introduced my self and advised them they were wrong on the value of the canoe , instantly they thought it was more. :p You should of seen there faces when I told them I spared no expence on making it and it was only $742.00 and I could of made it for a lot less.

That caused me a few minutes delay on getting home , they inspected the canoe , asked questions , which I answered and we might have a couple new wood boat builders on here real soon.
They did copy down Matt's web site and mine on a pad they had.

Chuck.
PS. Wood boats are fun in a lot of different ways , great way to meet good folks. :lol:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Chucky,

Welcome to the amazing world of Sasquatch mate. 8)

I have found that a very good canoe, particularly one as beautifully made as yours, is much like a beautiful, classy woman. They turn heads in any company and allways draw a crowd.

I am certain you are going to love this boat more each time you put her in the water. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
Chucky,

Welcome to the amazing world of Sasquatch mate. 8)

Mick...

As I told Matt on the back channel , I think he has a winner there in more then one way. I can understand your fondness for the Sasquatch at this time , it is one great canoe.

The weather is getting around to the way it should be for some good camping and paddling so there will be a lot more rivers for it to go down. Both day runs and longer camping trips. I'm really looking forward to packing it with camping gear and giving it a try. After this last padling I think it will enjoy being out there as much as I do and a great boat sure helps in enjoying the outdoors.

Don't get me wrong , I will still use the pirogues and even the sea kayak depending on where I will be paddling. After all a person can never have to many boats. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. A paddling buddy ( who lives close by ) is bugging me to make a 16 Sasquatch so he can use this 14 x 30 that I have. :lol:

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Sparkinator
Good trip report. Sounds like you had a good trip. Just think of it lots of water no bad weather good campin friends. BUT WAIT Chuck campin no rain. OH NO the SKY is gonna fall. HEH HEH
Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Lazyriverguy said:
BUT WAIT Chuck campin no rain. OH NO the SKY is gonna fall. HEH HEH
Joe

You will not believe this but it was 4 days of decent weather , clear skies , cool temps and just right for being outside. Now on Monday it did start to cloud up a bit as I pulled out of there.

Got down to Florida and it was coming down like a cow relieving itself on a flat rock , I guess it was a Welcome to Florida for me. :roll:
Then ... "O" ... I hate driving on I-95 threw Jax and guess what .... again a small hurricane as I drove threw downtown Jax on I-95 dodging wrecks. :twisted: Off and on rain all the way home down the notorious I-95 or the wreck/accident alley express way.

If I did not have things that needed to be taken care of down here , you can bet your best pair of boots I would still be up there in northern Georgia. :D
Dam ... even the Mickey D's up there have some good country biscuits and sausage gravy for there patrons along with there coffee. Yep .. I was in hog heaven for a short while. :wink:

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
PS. A paddling buddy ( who lives close by ) is bugging me to make a 16 Sasquatch so he can use this 14 x 30 that I have.

DO IT MATE! :D

You will never regret it.

I would go so far as to claim that the Sas 16.5' is quite possibly the best stitch and glue Canadian style canoe in the world at this time.

There is absolutely nothing not to like about it and as more of them get built and their very proud owners start to spead the word, they will set Matt apart and above all the other designers out there.

I have the plans for both your 14 Sas and the Sas 18 and have absolutely no need for either of them. Sas 16.5' does it all. but I will very definately be building the 14 next year just cause I want one just like yours :D (or nearly as pretty anyway) :oops: and I will probably built the 18 too just to confirm my suspicions on just how good she will be at that much bigger size.

Gonna have a fire sale, sell all my store boats for whatever I can get for them. :lol:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Lazyriverguy said:
BUT WAIT Chuck campin no rain. OH NO the SKY is gonna fall. HEH HEH
Joe
You will not believe this but it was 4 days of decent weather , clear skies , cool temps and just right for being outside. Now on Monday it did start to cloud up a bit as I pulled out of there. Chuck.

Chuckles.......It was threatening when you left.....today it rained so hard and so long I had to slip into Wally World for an umbrealla, along with some other folks. Georgia thanks you!

smackover

Mar 13, 2008
Port Wentworth, Ga
Welcome to Soega

I hope you are enjoying your visit to Soega.

For some reason it has been sort of rainy and windy the past two days...now Know why....we have company from out of town!

When you drove to Rincon from Ft. Mac you went through
Port Wentworth, Ga.

For you out of towners Port Wentworth is the
location of the pot of gold at the eastern end of the rainbow !

Good to have you here. Safe travels.

Regards

Smackover

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jezzzzzeeeeeeeee ....

If I would of know that I could of said Howdy to ya since I had all day Saturday to just goof around and look the area over.

" When you drove to Rincon from Ft. Mac you went through
Port Wentworth, Ga
". Did that 4 times , twice on Sat checking things out and again on Sunday for the day trip. :roll:

I have to say you guy's are sure in a good slice of heaven when it comes to the outdoors , beautiful territory , lots of deer to dodge when driving and some great rivers to spend time on. The camping ain't half bad :lol: :lol: :lol: either.

I'm happy you are getting the rain , it sure was needed and oldyaker always complains when the water gets over 3 inches deep , he is built close to the ground , Ya know. It has to be one of those gravity things that only the scientists can explain.

I'm not really sure how you paddle an umbrella , must be like they did with the old fashion Round Bull Boats made out of Buffalo skins. Got ya ... Jimmy. :p

Chuck
Running and ducking here , expecting lots of incoming rounds. :D

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Smackover....What is the name of the seafood place in Port Wentworth? I need to pick up shrimp on my way out of Savannah tomorrow. I have been getting it at Carlie Teeples in Thunderbolt.

WOW! I'm at FSI at the airport right now and it's windy and raining lke a cow on a flat rock! :shock:

Chuckles....One of sciences mysterys is......If hot air makes a baloon go up.....What is keeping you down! :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
Chuckles....One of sciences mysterys is......If hot air makes a baloon go up.....What is keeping you down! :roll:

Lead , Lots and lots of Lead and you know in what part of my anatomy .. :lol: Or it might be the pistol in my pocket , those bullets are all lead and brass. :roll:

Those white shrimp were some sort of good .. I can still close my eyes and taste them , :D having them with the catfish was like having the desert as the main meal. I have been trying to find some down here ..... with NO LUCK.
Next time I'm skipping the cats and going for that BIG platter of the shrimp like that one lady had at the table next to us. Might have two of them one for supper and one to take back to the campsite for later. :lol:

Chuckles

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Well Chuckles.....JoeJa wild shrimp is my favorite and I always have a cooler or two in my vehicle to laod up on it when I get to Savannah. Charlie Teeple in Thunderbolt and Bell at the counter fixes me up.
http://www.wildgeorgiashrimp.com/

Here are some of my photos from the trip.
http://tinyurl.com/4byecr

Here is Chuck in this fine looking vessel........I have a pirogue cut out from a set of Matt's plans....I may have to delay that build so I can build one of these....

Here we see Paddl'n Dave Chafin of Backwater Expeditions Savannah, Georgia. Paddl'n Dave is interesting to paddle with as he knows a lot of history of rivers and streams in GA. He also does presentations at schools on GA reptiles. He keeps an assortment of snakes, turtles and gators in his back yard for presentations. This is Tommy Long Landing on Ebenezer Creek. Dave told the story to Chuck while paddling of the tragic crossing here during the War of Northern Aggression.
Dave looks like Col Sanders, has an easy Georgia accent, and is a wonderful Southern Gentleman.

I just love paddling these blackwater creeks and swamps....the cypress trees are so interesting and everyone is different. I keep waiting for some sort of troll to exit the large base to chase us from his neighborhood.

The weather was beautiful and comfortable....Lawdy I sure love Georgia! Go Dawgs!

Nancy, Paddl'n Dave and John early in the paddle.......

Simply beautiful!

Here is that 'Crazy Cracker' in his sweet boat day dreaming about the sausage gravy over biscuits he had for breakfast.......wonder what he'll have for dinner. :wink:

Chucks day dreaming....
"Hmmmmmm.......Jimmy say's the catfish at Loves are fantastic......but I think fried shrimp and hush puppies sound good.......Damn those sausage gravy over biscuits were good......Is that a piece of gravy biscuit I see stuck to Jimmy's shirt?.......I hope he don't notice me licking it off his t-shirt if I sneak up on him.......I could use another taste of sausage gravy over biscuits about now.... wonder what I'll have for a snack tonight? Breakfast in the morning? WOW! I'm getting hungry! Jimmy's fingers are starting to look like shrimp wrapped around that paddle......Oh Oh! Now my belly is growling!"

We came upon this large vessel that is a derelict on this creek....One wonders how such a large vessel ended up on such a small creek.

Nanc's yak got tangled up in grass. Chuck was a boy scout and performed the rescue. The Sasquatch drew little water and navigated well thru the swamp grass. (Actually, Chuck thought he saw a bag of cookies in Nancs boat is why he went into the grass to see for himself.) :roll:

Might make a good fish camp or weekend hideaway with some fixing up.

Paddl'n Dave says when the creek is really high, he and BuckIsland(Franke) paddle thru the center of all the cypress trees and it's easy to get lost.

This guy is a "Cracker" poster child...... :lol:

Chuck rescuing Nanc back in the grass. Chuck had no problem in the heavy grass.

Chuck and Paddl'n Dave exchanging "Tales of the Cracker" paddling Ebenezer.

There is just something magical about creeks like these.

It all seems so pre-historic....I almost expect a dinosaur to come thrashing threw the trees. If a dino did rear it's ugly head, I wasn't worried....Chuckles would have ate him first! "Please pass the salt and Cajun hot sauce Jimmy! I smell a T-Rex nearby!"

This place is called the cathedral I believe according to Paddl'n Dave Chafin. You can see the waterline on the trees. A most beautiful spot and seems to be haunted by spirits....I bet it would be something else to paddle with water level that high on the treeline. I made this pix a little larger so you can grab the feeling of this spot. Please don't get mad at this bigger pix Chuck!

Coming out onto the Savannah River from Ebenezer Creek.

The little park at the outfitters where creek meets river. We took a well deserved break here before paddling back to the landing.

Chuckles new favorite eatery when in GA.....Loves located on highway 17 where it crosses the Ogeechee River. http://www.Lovesseafood.com

Looking under the bridge from Loves is Kings Point. It's the actual spot where Yankee boats resupplied the troops taking Savannah in December of 1864.

Upstream from here the Ogeechee is a fine river to paddle and camp on. Lets do that sometime Chuckles!

Chuck...If you run your cursor over my pix, it should take you to my web shots where you can enlarge and print off pictures if yoyu like.

The Savannah area has a lot of paddling opportunity and I hope to take advantage of it when I'm there.

Thanks to BuckIsland for making this paddle possible! Hope you can make it with us next time Franke! We missed Gator Dog!
:wink: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I never did locate those cookies you told me about in the back of Nancy's kayak. I am starting to think some one was telling me a false hood. :lol:

Folks ... Now you can understand why oldyaker paddles with one hand , because his other one is holding the camera.

creek%20008.jpg

I guess the proof is in the pictures and some really nice ones , to boot.

Chuckles.

smackover

Mar 13, 2008
Port Wentworth, Ga
Seafood palce in Pt. Wentworth

Sorry I'm late in getting back to you.

The place is WOODS' Seafood located on hwy 25 north between Bonnybridge Road and the Houlihan Bridge over the Savannah River.

The pictures were great. Fishing in Ebeneezer creek in the spring is
usually pretty good.

Next year you might want to think of paddling the Ogeechee from Statesboro to Morgan's Bridge and camping on a few sandbars.

Great scenery.

Regards

Smackover

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Smackover ...

If .. I should say when I'm back up there you can bet I will be bringing home with me a ... LARGE COOLER ... full of those shrimps. :D

Been on two more camping trips (solo ones ) since then and in the evening I can sit by the camp fire and think of Loves Seafood Restaurant and taste them , Yes Sir they are some sort of good.

You guy's have keep the secret about them for to long , ya had to let a Italian find them and then spread the word. They don't call him oldyaker for nothing.

Now this cracker knows about them and I sure can't keep a secret about good chow. Dang , I hope I'm not part Italian or could that be constipation that is the problem. . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuckles........
Running and ducking here boss........INCOMING fer sure....... :wink:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Smackover ...
If .. I should say when I'm back up there you can bet I will be bringing home with me a ... LARGE COOLER ... full of those shrimps. :D
Now this cracker knows about them and I sure can't keep a secret about good chow. Dang , I hope I'm not part Italian or could that be constipation that is the problem. . :lol: :lol: :lol:Chuckles........
Running and ducking here boss........INCOMING fer sure....... :wink:

First Chuckles......Everyone knows yer constipated, because yer always
FULL OF IT! :roll:

Second...If ya was part Eye-Tal-yun......It would be the best part of ya!
:wink:

Third.....Now ya know why I always have a cooler when I visit, pass thru, or anywhere near Savannah! Georgia white wild shrimp....It can't be beat!

Glad I took my Cracker Pal to Loves! :wink: