Epoxy rash! | SouthernPaddler.com

Epoxy rash!

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Is it just me or has anyone else ever been known to be allergic to epoxy?
Started out with sore eyelids, red and puffy. Later realised I might have got a bit on me glasses frames. Then the arms, forearms to be precise, big red welts and an itchy rash... Ok an extremely itchy rash, specially at night in bed. Looked it up a bit on the net and found its a fairly common occurence with epoxy.
Put good quality gloves on, enclosed goggles and mixed a tiny amount of resin, just over an eggcup full and within five minutes my forearms were burning like buggery. Drenched in water and it relieved it somewhat but the underlying rash is still there, so I know I will suffer tonight.
According to the blurb its a transient rash, meaning it should go away of its own accord. Next time I mix some epoxy it will be outside on a very windy day.
Can't remember who but saw on here the other day someone had prepared what looked like a garage storeroom for a build, seemed to be quite well enclosed sort of area. Will post a note when I find it
In future VENTILATION is gonna be the most important bit. Hope this helps prevent someone else suffering this.

JEM

I started to get it using cheap epoxy without venting real well.

Switched to a little bit more expensive and made sure I had fresh air in constant supply. Problem went away.

Tough part is in the winter. Then I leave epoxy bottles in where it's warm, mix, then bring into the colder shop.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Thanks for that Matt, thought it might have been just li'l ole' sensitive me.
Cheap epoxy, yep, lack of ventilation, yep. lesson learnded: definitley.

dawallace45

John

What epoxy you using ? are you using barrier cream ? , Do you use a mask when you sand ? are you wearing long sleave shirts when you sand , do you have a fan blowing fumes away ? what do you use to clean up the epoxy off your gear and hands ? if you have a epoxy rash , leave the boat alone for a few days or even a week until the rash goes away and then carefully give your workshop a clean before starting again , I use Bote-cote epoxy which doesn't blush and they tell me is less reactive with skin contact

If you like PM me with your phone number if you want to talk more about it

David

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend David,

Good ta see ya givin' safety advice. Reckon ya oughta give it a try yerownself? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

regards
bearridge
shade tree medikle clinic

If yer gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough. Reaux Heaux's Law

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Google search epoxy sensitivity or epoxy allergies

Follow the advice, not just sometimes.
Once you develop a reaction, sensitivity or allergy to epoxy, you have it forever.
It's not just the vapors that will get ya.

DM
mike

dawallace45

Bear

I generally work on the idea that it's better to learn from others mistakes rather than your own , but some times being impatent gets the better of me , but as far as epoxy I've always taken care ,

I had a mate who was a fibreglasser and developed a problem with the fibreglass resin and had to give up his business , I've never had a problem with epoxy because I always use a good quality epoxy , actually from what I've seen there seems to be more chance of reaction with polyester resin than epoxy resin , also polyester resin gives me a screaming headache and I do get a rash from it even using all precautions but it only lasts a couple of hours [ I did a repair to a fibreglass boat several years ago using polyester resin and chopped strand mat but never again ] ,

I only use gloves when I'm applying fillets and not the rest of the time because I sweat too much in them and the sweat drips on the boat and because if I leave them on for more than a hour I get dermatitis , I do use barrier cream all the time when working with it ,

I also have a industrial fan that blows all the fumes and dust away from me , my new work area will be completely open on three sides for much better ventilation and I always had a good clean up after each stage and used a leaf blower to blow all dust away out the garage doors before starting a new stage ,

When sanding I always wear long trousers and long sleave shirts and I use barrier cream with cotton gloves over the top [ don't have access to them any more will have to find a new source ] , also the strongest solvent I use is white vinegar , I never use acetone for several reasons , one being that it's more likely to cause a reaction than epoxy , two that it's so bloody expensive that it's pointless using it at all , it takes three dollars worth to clean a two dollar brush and white vinegar actually does a much better job , but even with white vinegar being cheap I don't clean brushes , they are never as good after cleaning so I just toss them and use a new one , on that note I do use syringes , I buy them from a medical supply place and they work out at about 20 c each , they hold 20 ml but I don't bother cleaning them , costs more to clean them than to use a new one ,

I learnt early about dust from sanding , being a bad asthmatic and some what prone to pneumonia it was a risk I wasn't game to take , now those white disposable masks you get from the hardware are useless , I either use my Triton respirator or proper twin replaceable filter mask but they do get hot and sweaty , I did have a Dust be gone mask http://www.dustbeegone.com/dustmask.html and it was great and I do recommend them , they are washable and last for years , they aren't cheap , I'd used mine time and time again until a mate used it to wipe up a epoxy spill , he thought it was a cheap throw away mask .

For cleaning my hands after I use Septone Orange scrub , it contains Pumice , Lanolin , Aloe Vera , Jojoba Oil and Vit E , does a very good job , I always shower as soon as I finish work and if I've been sanding I wash those clothes separate from all others

David

dawallace45

Bear

I only stuff up now and then but when I do I make it a good one

Normally I'm very careful and cautious in my approach to every thing

That said , a few years ago I was having a beer with a old mate of mine and I was reminiscing about all the crazy almost suicidal things that he and my brother had done in their teens and early 20's , his nickname was Crazy Critter , he grinned at me and said " Dave when Bruce and I used to do things like that it was because we never stoped to think what could have happened to us or what could possibly go wrong , we just thought , " yeah , lets do it " , now you on the other hand never did any thing in your whole life with out working out the risks and what could go wrong and 90% of the time you were still there right beside us when we did all those things , so who is the crazy one you or me ? he may have had a point .

David

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend David,

Crazy Critter sounds like a quick thinker....unlike Ole Man Barlow. Also sounds like a fella who haz spoke hiz share of "hey Bubba, hold my beer 'n watch this". :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Talking to a democrat is like trying to teach your dog not to eat turds, it is a lost cause. Posted by: James Old Guy on November 3, 2004 02:48 PM

dawallace45

Actually my mate is a very quick thinker and highly intelligent , but back then was very impulsive and just didn't have any fear of any thing , he still doesn't but is much less impulsive now days but then he is a grandad and you got to slow down some time ,

But no , he wouldn't say hold my beer , he would drink it down first in case we were tempted to drink it , but yeah , a lot of thinks started with " watch this "

Of course I only joined in 90% of their escapades , it was the other 10% where they come to grief

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
John,

I only use West Systems premium stuff and have never had a problem.

The doors to my shed are open. One faces South and the other faces North and there is allways a good through breeze. I don't worry about the fans but use a quality resporator with a carbon filter when sanding.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Firstly thanks for your input guys, it shouldn't have been necessary to bring this up if I'da just used a bit of common sense. I s'pose it was jus laziness. DM said: "Follow the advice, not just sometimes." I have the twin cartridge respirator and have done enough workplace health and safety stuff to have known better, but when its just a relatively small bit of work I tended to think, she'll be right. I am just about back to normal skin wise but from now on anything other than a tiny little touch up with epoxy will be done outside ona breezy day wearing appropriate protection. Being fairly warm here I've tended to do stuff wearing a pair of shorts and thats about all. Now that I'm aware that I've been sensitised to it I will take a lot more care, both with the wet form and whilst sanding this stuff. Despite public opinion I'm not dumb enough to claim ignorance as an excuse.
However am hoping the one good thing to have come out of this thread is that anyone, particularly newbies like me planning on becoming complacent with this "hazardous material" might read this and take sensible precautions at the very least.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Well, John, we needed a Poster Child for Epoxy Rash. I'm guessing that you are now it. Photographers (papparazzi for the unwashed) will be around next Tuesday. You can pose either clothed or nude to best display symptoms.

Please look sorry, pathetic, and helpless so contributors will feel compelled to donate $0.17 a month for you care and feeding, and feel good about it. It helps if a stray dog or two are lurking in the background. You can replace Sally Struthers.

sheetsrep

Dec 7, 2007
While I was working on two boats at one time I was using a lot of epoxy. I had no problems for a while but one day I woke up and could barely open my eyes. My eyelids were on fire for about three days, and my fore arms had the same rash you describe. Every time I use it now I put on a long sleeve shirt, goggles and respirator.