Everglades , 10,000 Islands Trip ...April 07 | SouthernPaddler.com

Everglades , 10,000 Islands Trip ...April 07

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I am doing a short post and providing some pictures of the camping area , I'm sure the guys will have a lot to say and oldyaker has a lot of pictures to post.
As soon as they get home and get all of the sand out of everything.

Chuck.
March 31, 07 (Saturday)
On the road and off to the Everglades part of the 10,000 Islands. I took out a day early so I could stop at Fisheating Creek and camp then on down to the glades and get the trip permit filed for us.
Fisheating Creek is one nice campground , $10.00 for a night and it is a very clean campground. One problem with the location ... it is 19 miles to LaBelle for any supplies so make sure you have what you want with you. The concession stand has cokes , juice and ice along with a very small supplies of camping foods.

eglades%20045.jpg

Apr 1, 07 (Sunday)
On the road to Everglades City and picking up the camping g permit for Picnic Key and Rabbit Key , three nights at Picnic and two nights at Rabbit Key. Total back country permit for the four of us was $50.00.
1st a night at the Sportsman's Club who has changed owners and is now the Everglades City Motel.

The Oar House (Restaurant next to the motel) has changed owners and I was having a burger when Jack and Yak walked in the door and joined me.
The restaurant was a good place for a darn good meal in the past, now it stinks just like the new name for it .... The Road Kill Cafe. Everything there has gone down hill in a hand basket, the service, food, everything. Even the cashier did not know how to make change but after about 10 minutes he finally figured it out. If it is possible it is worse then Susies Station where the waitress is 80 years old and everything there is at her speed ....SLOW.

The best place to eat is the BP Gas Station which has a Subways in it. Now that says a lot of a place where the best food is at the gas station.

Apr 2.07 (Monday)
On the water at 10:00 , arrived at Picnic Key at 2:00 after paddling against the tide and wind all the way. Arriving at Picnic Key we had some good seas about 3 feet high and rode it onto the beach, one wave came over the back of the kayak (Freedom) and into the cockpit with me. Dry ground and time to set up camp.
eglades%20052.jpg

eglades%20054.jpg

Got camp together and then it was shrimp, scallops with Italian seasoning and some baked beans for supper. Then enjoying a drink while sitting on the beach and watching a full moon come up, cool breezes and everything was perfect.
eglades%20046.jpg

Apr 3.07 (Tuesday)
Up in the morning to lots of visitors, Sand Gnats or No Seems plus some more kayakers camping down the beach from us.
eglades%20049.jpg

A day of goofing off around camp, beach coming, and relaxing.

Jack .. Working really hard. :lol:
eglades%20053.jpg

Our shade tree.........
eglades%20046.jpg

Tide is in but it has a nice beach when it is out.
eglades%20047.jpg

Watching dolphins in the gulf along with mantees,sea turtles and mullet jumping. Even had a small hammer head swim by to say HI. Some swimming (Yak) then I am sure one manatee came back looking for him but the was out of the water by then.
Supper, drinks and sitting down by the low tide line to get away from the bugs till the breeze came up and a full moon.

eglades%20048.jpg

A small island at low tide and looking at the tip of Tigar Key.
eglades%20055.jpg

Apr 4.07 (Wednesday)
Another day of relaxing around camp, Mac couldn't even go fishing, his boat was high and dry, the tide went out and left it sitting on top of the sand.
eglades%20056.jpg

Kayak Jack made his cabbage, carrot, onion, olive oil, lemon juice salt a pepper salad for us at lunch. Even had some cheese sprinkled over the top of it. It filled all of us up so when super time rolled around it was just snack time, no one was hungry.

Apr 5.07 (Thursday)
The Gulf was rough so we stayed at Picnic Key instead of going down to Rabbit Key which would be paddling in the open waters of the gulf.

Mac did some fishing and for lunch we had Trout (Spotted Weakfish) and a large Red for a late lunch.
eglades%20058.jpg

Even invited two of our neighbors of lunch, a young couple from New York down here on a camping a paddling vacation.
We were told that a storm was going to move into the area the next day so we planned on pulling out a day early. This would be our last night on the island.
That night a front moved thru, windy, cooler and rain so we were sure we were going to do the right thing.

Apr 6.07 (Friday)
Back to Everglades City and a hot shower and cold AC without any sand gnats or sand in our food.

Apr 08.07 (Saturday) on the road

Just some Proof that I do camp with some NUT'S. :lol: :lol: :lol:
eglades%20059.jpg

Chuck.

In Conclusion
1... The Freedom will handle wakes from large boats or from the wind. White caps will donate some water to the paddler when running sideways to them but on a direct intersection with them you do stay dry.

2...When camping on a Island (Key) you do get sand in everything , including your food and sand gnats do bite.

3...Picnic Key is one of the few places you can camp without coon worries so you get a good nights sleep.

4...No matter how much ice you have it never lasts.

5...The tide will always be against you along with the wind and you should of been there yesterday.

islandpiper

Chuck....man, I sure am glad I wasn't along with you all. I had lots more fun going to work, mowing the yard, cleaning the kitchen, shaving every day, answering the phone, paying bills, putting up with customer issues, paying more bills, filing my taxes, cleaning the mower.....ya, boy.........all that relaxing on the beach and blue water and sunshine would have killed me!

Maybe next time I'll figure out a way to punish myself and come along if I can beg you for an invite.

Glad you all got back safe and sound.

Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Piper

It was some hard work , laying back , not doing a darn thing but eating good food , drinking Hurricanes and thinking about all of you guy's having all of the fun.

That full moon at night with the salt breeze coming in off the Gulf was hard to take. Not even thinking about sitting around a campfire on the beach and then having to get out of the chair and going to bed in a tent while listing to the waves rolling ashore was just pure misery. I tell you , misery , pure misery and I would not wish it on anyone.

Our biggest problem was trying to figure out what not to do , we decided to do nothing and it worked out really nice. We got so good at it you might say we mastered the art of doing nothing.

After being down there , sitting in the shade with a drink , letting the breezes from the gulf cool us down , using sun block and still getting a tan , eating fresh fish , shrimp and scollop's suppers. Looking forward to the evenings with the moon light and camp fire for comfort.

I called Oldyaker and Jack last night , they were in some 20 degree weather and should be in snow today....... What a difference.

I will bet they are the only folks up there with a suntan and they sure are not in shorts and sweating anymore trying to get out of the heat while smearing on sun block , just looking for some heat.

One up side to all of it is there ice will hold a lot longer then it did down here , if they need any ice in there cooler. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck

islandpiper

Chuck,

So, Kayak Jack followed through and brought the Hurricane Mix? That's great. Hope you all enjoyed them...... If you gotta have a Hurricane once in a while, that's the kind to have.

Piper

( Chuck stepping in here..... The only Hurricane to have , they are good. )

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
NOW STOP IT AT ONCE... you're having way to much fun :lol:

'Nothing' is a much underated activity these days. You have to be doing 'something'.

Can't get on the water myself yet as the epoxy is still going on in layers (it's 21:00 and I'm just about to go out and stick on the port inner gunnel). I did manage to get some nothing done today though while my good lady wife mowed the back lawn in the sunshine. Our wedding aniversary too.

Great report, lovely photos and I'm envious of paddling with the dolphins and hammer-head.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Chucky,

Welcome back mate. :D

Your trip sounds fabulous and the piccies are even better. I can't wait for more.

I am real glad your Freedom performed so well too. Gee she looks great on top of your jeep.

Is there any chance you could post a map of the area please just to give me a better idea.

A

Anonymous

picnic key

Mick,

If ya have Google Earth, [if ya don't you should download it] then go to

25 4935.37 81 29 18.79

That will put ya on Picnic Key. Rabbit key is South of there.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
chuck nice pics. i,m sure u guys had a great time. a bad day on the water is better than a good day at work. :) glad yak & jack is back home where they can cool off. :lol:

looking forward to yaks pics. (cat)

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Chucky;; It looked to me like a gggrrreat trip. Wish I could have been on that one. I do need a break from here maybe If I talk nice to Val I will be able to get away this summer and do some thing fun for a change.
Great Pics. Lucky Dog

Life is like a roll of toilet paper the closer you get to the end the faster it goes!!!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
3800 miles and 12 days later.....It was a great trip, good friends, good wine, good food, and a good time. It will remain as a pleasant memory as time slips by......I missed Harry and son. Hope all goes well with them.
Mac.....Your a nut! In a nice way of course! :wink:
Gilligans Island.....Gilligan as Chuck.......The Skipper as Jack.
GLADES%20021.jpg

Bird S*^T point......couldn't get close enough to get the birds in the trees. This was taken just before we landed on our Island.
GLADES%20019.jpg

Waiting for that Island Sunset! Jack kept asking what time it was.....didn't matter! We was on Island Time!
GLADES%20059.jpg

Island Time!
GLADES%20127.jpg

Typical Island Chow....Chuckles Shrimp 'N' Scallops!
GLADES%20034.jpg

Island Street Light....timed by Chuckles.
GLADES%20061.jpg

Mac brings home the bacon... a beautiful red!
GLADES%20141.jpg

And Chuck frys it up!
GLADES%20146.jpg

Afternoon Siesta under the mangroves....
GLADES%20122.jpg

Eye-Tal-Yun Cracker....
GLADES%20044.jpg

This is where Jack and Chuck hung their panty's when they went skinny dipping in the afternoon......I'm not sure if these are Jacks or Chucks Panty's......they exchange them alot. :roll:
GLADES%20130.jpg

The Island Don awaits payment and tribute.......none arrives :?
GLADES%20088.jpg

The evening fire, provided by Yak every night! Everyone else was too lazy to gather wood! :x All except you Mac! The Dago Red must have helped!
GLADES%20152.jpg

Insert your own caption... ( Chuck stepping in here .. The Old Man and the Sea)
GLADES%20082.jpg

Island life is hell.........
GLADES%20027.jpg

Greeted by snow on the drive home.......white snow to remind me of the white sugary sand of our private Island......Sweet Memorys.
GLADES%20161.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldyaker.....

In your above post of some of the pictures you took , I had to step in and add that this one made me think of the Old Man and the Sea , Ya know , Papa Hummingway........ Hummmmmmmmmmm. :lol:

GLADES%20082.jpg

Chuck.
PS .. The garments hanging in the tree were his not mine , those are way to big for me. :p

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Anybody need to know anything about Shakespeare......Ask Mac! He will surprise you. Good job Mac! :wink:

islandpiper

Hey, I'm glad you identified those little white things in Chuck's cook-pan........otherwise I'd never had guessed them to be shrimp.

The ones we get here are sold individually, so you count up the number of people eating dinner, multiply by two and buy 'em......we'd have to spend a lot of time chopping them to make them small enough to match those.

And, from what we hear, the ones in Texas are even bigger!!

Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldyaker said:
Anybody need to know anything about Shakespeare......Ask Mac!
Friend Mac,

I heard he didnt write none of them tales. If ya agree, dont reply.

regards
bearridge
bodine college

The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century. Vice President Dan Quayle

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
great job yak. good pics. looks like yall, geezers really worked hard on ur trip. :)

i believe i would have enjoyed it myself. the food looks mouthwatering even if chuck didn,t include oysters. :lol: (catfish)

4sons

Apr 5, 2005
Looks like a great trip. 10,000 islands is difinitely on my list of things to do. One question...was there no where to hang a Hennessy?

4sons

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The Hurricanes destroyed all , or most of the large mangroves along the shore line , some islands it completely cleaned off.

Picnic Key a person could hang a hammock after some looking around but being inside the wood line you will get eaten up with sand gnats in the morning and evening.

Next door to Picnic Key there appeared to be some nice trees to hang a hammock from on Tiger Key.

The chickees you can hang a hammock without any problem.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Forgot to post this picture of natures art work in the Glades. Also would help the hammock issue
GLADES%20135.jpg

Tiger Cay........in the afternoon. Just so close....but yet too lazy to paddle to it. :roll:

GLADES%20109.jpg

My view from under the mangroves.
The day had a grueling routine. I couldn't keep up. :lol: We had to move three times during the day to stay in the shade of the mangroves, this shot is of our first perch of the day.

GLADES%20123.jpg

This is Chuck....He wanted to see if this local Island eaterie served grits and BBQ.....
GLADES%20099.jpg

Chuck left when he coudn't find anybody.....but he said the food smelled good. He would be back later when someone was around...:shock:

GLADES%20102.jpg

This is the Oyster Bar in Savannah......Where the oysters are safe.....the brew is cold.....and the conversation good. Why did I put the pix here? Because it's about the only thing I missed being on this island.

GLADES%20009.jpg