"Faith is coming along nicely | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

"Faith is coming along nicely

JEM

That would be the easy way. Only thing I'd be concerned about is if the canvas would absorb water (maybe treat it with some water-proofer) and if it would stretch. That's why I'd prefer to tie it off on pad eyes rather than snaps: You can always tighten the rope. You'll have to keep up with the canvas a little more to make sure it doesn't dry out completely and rot. But not much.

If canvas is the way you'll go, then you could take a cut piece of canvas or pattern to any shoe maker, leather working shop, or some garment shops that have heavy-duty sewing machines. Have a seam stitched on the edges so the canvas doesn't fray. The leather working shops could even put in the snaps or metal thru-holes for you.

A more expensive way to go would also contact a sail maker. But that cost would get up there.

A

Anonymous

"faith is now at home waiting to be worked on, and as far as nylon goes I was thinking something along the lines of what they use to make those cockpit liners out of or maybe even rain jackets.

Ive been gone lately, so i guess i owe an update to yas. its to cold to work with epoxy in my unheated garage right now, and with school going on I dont even know if I would have the time. So, faith is hung from the cieling of my garage jus like you guys showed me to do. As soon as it warms up and I get the time my swamper will be finished I have some nice ideas that I have been working on and I think itl make you geezers proud (but theyre staying secret until the boats done). Something else thatll make you geezers proud is my first semster of college report card all A's except 2 B's which equals out to a 3.75 GPA Ive been working hard at it and hence no time for building boats, sadly a fella has got to have priorities. i still plan on building a kayak but the project will be pushed back until im out of school (roughly a year and a half from now) Sorry I hadnt updated in forever, I learned something though, high school isnt reall school it was playtime hehe, and I got credit for building a boat, but dont think thatll fly in the reall world. Ill update every once in a while just to let you guys know how im doing,, and yes all the water is frozen right now, everything is frozen. see you geezers later.

JEM

despotic931 said:
Something else thatll make you geezers proud is my first semster of college report card all A's except 2 B's which equals out to a 3.75 GPA Ive been working hard at it and hence no time for building boats, sadly a fella has got to have priorities.

Well done! And yes, get the schooling done now.

The good thing about boats: they'll wait around as long you need them to.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Good going, Justin. School is an important way to prove to the world that you're a serious fella. Boats are a good way to prove to yourself that you're a real fella. Keep up the good work.

(How's come we didn't read any gal's name or anything about one in there? They're an important part of a young geezer's Life too, as I remember, anyway. They don't stay afloat as long as a boat, but they're softer.)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
(How's come we didn't read any gal's name or anything about one in there? They're an important part of a young geezer's Life too, as I remember, anyway. They don't stay afloat as long as a boat, but they're softer.)

Darn I did not think Jack could remember back that far ........... He did leave one thing out ..........

They cost more. :lol:

Chuck.

Ah the gal, lets see her name in Lindsey, weve been together seriously for six months though weve been best friends for a year and a half, BTW when did this become the girl bragin board? anyways here is a pic of us at my dads wedding...
35872243300d703f5ae48cf5a36c92689843726.jpg

Shes the one I talked about who wants to fish and camp and everything with me, thing is she has never been in a canoe and last summer I took her to the lake but it started raining, so I got a reall good reson to get the boat done, so I's can get her in it and show her how much fun they are. Linds is great she keeps a smile on my face and my spirits lifted. Im 19 and shes 18 so shes a senior in high school still, which isnt really great couse that means I need to go to prom with her, yay name one college kid who wants to go to a high school dance hehe, but shes worth is, heck shes worth my right arm and then some (anybody know how to paddle a boat with only one arm?). she is definatly softer than a boat, and so far has cost me more yes, but she keeps me afloat, not so much in water, but in the rocky seas of life. See I could brag on her forever, but this is a forum for boat building, and jack I would feel sorry for ya if ya couldnt remember being young and in love, so far its been nothing but fun. boat building on the other hand? well I wont get into the time I epoxied my paintbrush to the shop floor.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
What a great couple! Now finish college and then the boats ( note: more than one).

She might alter plans on building boat after she takes a paddle in her hands.... :lol:

YEAH, WE CAN SEE MANY A CANOE IN THE FUTURE FOR YA'LL...

SWAMPY

A

Anonymous

Friend Justin,

Even tho the folks at the bodine school wuz mitey sad when ya didnt join up, it looks like life haz dealt ya some dang nice cards. Purty gal, purty boat.....weeeee doggie. That iz all ya need....'n that ashtray....'n a good thermos. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge

Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it. Navin Johnson

bearridge said:
Friend Justin,

Even tho the folks at the bodine school wuz mitey sad when ya didnt join up, it looks like life haz dealt ya some dang nice cards. Purty gal, purty boat.....weeeee doggie. That iz all ya need....'n that ashtray....'n a good thermos. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge

So, I'm sitting at school right now, got some down time. I just droped a buck 30 on a book thats right $130 for 424 pages, wasnt there an article on building a boat for $150 bucks or something like that? wow 20 buck s short of a boat, Oh well I know i should have gone to bodine school, and i jus might still, nothing wrong with two degrees. Anyways about me being wipped, I cut it befor we started dating, but she loved me with the hair (she hated the hair, but loved me :wink: ) and I cut it couse the deal was I would cut it once I graduated from high school, and it was getting hot with summer comeing on. Though some would argue that I am wipped I would argue agianst it, though I have no clue what my deffence would be. :roll: