Firewood or a boat? | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Firewood or a boat?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Surface tension does play a big part in the phenomenon, but water does tend to be attracted to itself and that starts the process. Surface tension is probably a major factor in paddle craft working right at the surface. Someone here posted that submarines run faster submerged than at the surface.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
jdupre' said:
.... Surface tension is probably a major factor in paddle craft working right at the surface. Someone here posted that submarines run faster submerged than at the surface.

Are you saying if I submerge my skiff, it will go faster? :wink: That didn't happen in the other submerged boats I have been in. :D I think I will wait on warmer weather to try that. The submerge theory does explain why kayaks are considered faster. Those decks and skirts are for when they take them under water. :lol:
Would a V bottom boat have less surface tension than a flat bottom?

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
beekeeper said:
<snip> Would a V bottom boat have less surface tension than a flat bottom?
Boats don't have surface tension; only liquids do. Both gasses and liquids are fluids, but only liquids have surface tension.

We humans have our own tensions of several, garden varieties: social, sexual, political, situational, nutritional, and "is my fly zipped?"

SamTHorn

Mar 29, 2010
The boat looks good to me. I wouldn't burn it. You should give it away or sell it for donations.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
SamTHorn said:
The boat looks good to me. I wouldn't burn it. You should give it away or sell it for donations.

Thanks for the compliment. It is a good boat. May not be a great boat and may not meet all my needs, but it met my goals I set at the time I built it. I may get rid of it one day, but not until after tomorrow. I have a fishing trip planned in the morning.

beekeeper

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Subs (modern ones) are faster underwater because of the hull shape. That rounded nose pulls the hull down until the pressure equalizes on all surfaces. Subs built prior to the USS Albacore are faster on the surface.

"There are two kinds of ships--submarines and targets."
Petty Officer First Class Camarie Degg (SEAL)

Some boats go down faster than they move forward.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg