first boat build | SouthernPaddler.com

first boat build

A

Anonymous

I just recently found this site and let me tell you I wish I would have sooner. I just finished building my first boat, an Uncle John's version. It looks like all of the questions that I had during the process have already been asked here. This site has a ton of great information and bunch of good guys with a lot of experience. I had a blast building my first boat and I am sure it won't be the last one I make. Here are a couple of pics, I have not even put it in the water yet. Can't wait for this weekend, hopefully I can catch a few fish out of it too.

Luke

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-3/1 ... nished.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-3/1 ... Bottom.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-3/1 ... ished2.JPG

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I really like the gray color Luke. Ive got a UJ kit I'm in the process of building I used birch plywood and stain it with a gray water based stain that I think turned out great. However I have some modifications I plan for it.
Welcome aboard and give us a trip report on the first paddle in the pirogue. Don't forget pictures
Paul

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Luke...

Judging from your boat it looks like you found us while building it ... The give away is the graphite on the bottom of it. That is sanded graphite ( if not then you have fooled me ) and not gray paint.

The graphite an epoxy mix is something I brought to light a few years back .... don't ask how many years...... be nice. :lol:

FinishedBottom.JPG

If I'm wrong , like I'm usually am please forgive the above statement. Like I always say ... If I don't make at lease three mistakes everyday then I'm not doing anything.

By the way ... Welcome to this NUT HOUSE. :oops:

Here is his other two pictures ... I love helping to post pictures of good looking boats.:D

Finished.JPG

Finished2.JPG

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

I did read about the graphite bottom but unfortunately I had already painted it. It is just straight latex black Sherman Williams paint, no graphite. I think the graphite is a great idea but too late on this one. I already have ideas for a second boat and will incorporate that on the bottom. Thanks for all the nice comments, this is my proundest woodworking project so far. I am about to start making some duck calls and hope I have as much fun.

Luke

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
this really quacks me up...... :lol: :lol:

I told the doctor I broke my leg in two places. He told me to quit going to those places. Henny Youngman

A

Anonymous

The boat floats and catches a bunch of fish. Caught about 50 Sack-A-Lait over the weekend and also got a lot of nice comments. I was able to get in the tight spots and catch fish where the folks in kayaks could not. Lot of fun.

Luke

Floats2.JPG

suncatch.JPG

(Hope you don't mind but I turned your click on's into pictures...Chuck. )

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Is that a Old Sparkey designed seat from UJ I see there?
Sack-a laits? Kinda looks like what we call crappies good stringer of them. Whens the fish fry I'll be right down.

tw541

Feb 18, 2008
Mountain Home, Arkansas
That's a good looking boat and stringer of fish. I am taking a three week vacation, the first three weeks of April, to go back home to northeast Texas. Plan to spend all of it crappie fishing. I wish I had my Swamp Girl ready, but it's not going to completed until I get back. I haven't missed a spring crappie season on Wright Patman Lake in 40 years. Hope to do as well as you.

captcj

Mar 15, 2008
N. Central FLA
Crappie?!?

The rest of the countryt must have it wrong. Here in central FLA we call them by their proper, God-given, Christian name - SPECS! (Never to be confused with the SPECS we catch in the salty water! Except places the sweet water and the salty water mingle) Who'd want to eat something called a crappie anyway? And what the heck is a sacka-whatzit? That don't even sound American! :lol:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Seedtick got the name right. Never knew 'em by any other name until I was a teenager. Not a better eatin' fish out there.

Nice boat, spineman. Don't ya just love the way it will go where other people can't get?

A

Anonymous

Here in Texas they call them crappie but I agree that does not sound like something I want to eat. I grew up in Bunkie, Louisiana and that never heard them called anything besides sac-au-lait (got it right this time) or white perch. They are they best tasting fish in my opinion, the only other thing that comes close is speckeled trout or walleye.

That little boat is deadly. I am able to get tight to the trees with my jig pole and stay in position even if the wind is blowing a bit. I have an advantage over the kayaks because I can paddle with one hand and fish with the other. They use an double ended paddle (don't know what you call that) so they have to stop paddleing if they want to fish and then the wind blows them off the spot.

Going to head out again on Sat, I hope it is as good as last weekend.

Luke

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: Crappie?!?

captcj said:
The rest of the countryt must have it wrong. Here in central FLA we call them by their proper, God-given, Christian name - SPECS! (Never to be confused with the SPECS we catch in the salty water! Except places the sweet water and the salty water mingle) Who'd want to eat something called a crappie anyway? And what the heck is a sacka-whatzit? That don't even sound American! :lol:

Specks are what we call them also known as speckled perch, specks, papermouth, bachelor perch, calico bass, strawberry bass, or white perch. Yankees call them Crappies.
Black-Crappie.jpg

The salt water speck is actually a spotted weakfish (trout) , can get up to 15 pounds.
drumspot.jpg

Some good eaten is the Sand ( sugar ) trout , actually a sand perch ( salt water kind). Average length 9 inches.
drumyt.jpg

Turn bull creek is a good area for them. YUM , YUM. They don't call them sugar trout just to be kind to them. :lol: A cracker pole , length of line and a small sunfish hook with a piece (small) of shrimp will pull them in all day long.

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

That is chucks seat I have in the boat. It is a very comfortable, I fished about 6 hours on Sunday and never got tired. Easy to build and looks really nice in the priogue. Thanks for coming up with that design Chuck and thanks for helping post my pics.

I do have a question for you experienced boat builders about the finish on the bottom of my boat. I was dissapointed with how my black paint job held up this weekend. I scratched the crap out of this thing, down to bare wood or fiberglass in a lot of places. I put about 5 thin coats of paint on the bottom and it just peeled right off in several spots. What are my options for something more durable? Is the graphite the way to go? I let it cure for a couple of weeks before putting it in the water so that should not have been the problem. Any ideas?

Luke