First Boat -- It's a Flat Bottom | SouthernPaddler.com

First Boat -- It's a Flat Bottom

TopWaterboy

Dec 29, 2009
Louisiana
I built this boat using a friends pirogue as the model. I built this one 12.5 ft with a center width of 30". It was definitely a fun build. I even had beekeeper poke his head in and contribute to the project. I've included a small progression of the build.
TopWaterboy

Just adding the pics back to this post.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Topwaterboy and welcome aboard mate. :D

This is the beauty of building our own. We build them the way we want to. We take a proven design and make it our own to suit our individual needs.

I think you have built a fine boat here and one that will last you for years. Good job mate.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Nice boat - thanks for sharing the pics.

Does the center frame attach to the hull and side of the butt block, or the face of the butt block? I'd think that the first would be stronger, but not necessary?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
No sweat, bob, just let Piper San do his imitation of a British air raid siren in distress. That'll keep him off balance. We can auction off he boat before he even notices.

Or, we can fill it up with mudbugs and brownies?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Great job. :) Feels good to complete the boat, doesn't it? How did it paddle? Does it feel like the original?
I can't wait to see it. Looking forward to a fishing trip.

beekeeper

TopWaterboy

Dec 29, 2009
Louisiana
Here are a few pics of the maiden voyage. It really handled well. It is slightly sturdier than the pirogue I based my design on. I'm the lightweight in the green jacket. My buddy Jody is probably 220, and it glided great with him as well. Jody's original design is 11' 6", and mine is 12' 6". I can't wait to paddle it with my lure. :D

Graybeard,
The center frame attaches to the side of butt joint on the bottom of the hull and the face of the butt joint on the side of the hull.

Thanks for the compliments!! BTW -- I live in the yankee portion of LA. :wink:
TopWaterboy

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
I like the frame risers most of all. Did you make them out of plywood or 1x6 boards? This boat really has beautiful lines.

TopWaterboy

Dec 29, 2009
Louisiana
Actually, beekeeper traced out the pattern on the risers(the gussets??) from my buddy's pirogue, and he formed the six you see from a 1 x 4. There is a stress crack in four of the braces. I will have to reinforce them with some alternative. The stress cracks are going with the grain; therefore, in retrospect I should have built those out a thick plywood in order to provide wood grain moving in two directions for additional strength. Oh well, it's no biggy.