first buck of season | SouthernPaddler.com

first buck of season

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
well got a nice 6 point this morning he weighed 155 pounds. he came running up from behind me. believe they are in rut right now. didn't know if I wanted to take my 223 or my shotgun. so I took my old reliable 870 with some # 1 buck shot. :D I wouldn't been able to get a shot off with my rifle. so cant wait to fry up some fresh venison. may make a pot roast out of the neck. got a little bit for freezer too. :D :wink:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
yea KY jack the only thing he was running and I would have to got him in my scope. I only had a small window of opportunity. Ron I had #1 first shot 00 second and third shots. the # 1 have a few more pellets. they are defiantly in rut my son was on road last night a woman hit the doe in front of him and my son hit the buck. nocked one of his lights out . didn't find either one. may fry up some deer heart and back strap tonight. :D :wink:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
yep chuck all that is good, don't forget the sweet potatoes ( yams) yum yum :) :) :wink:

going back in the morning hopefully I get another one or a porker? off all this week took a vac from that 4 letter word. maybe do some fishing ? just get some r&r

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
dang bad as I hate to say it another one bit the dust today .he bumped his head . :roll: :wink: :mrgreen: got a spike . he came in front of me and actually I thought it was a doe. thought I had seen another deer so I hit the grunt and he came straight to me around 50ft. that's where he made a mistake. :lol: ole 870 paid off again. :D :lol: this morning I had doe in heat out (tinks) and again was using the grunt. man this grunting is paying off this year. I have tried it a lot but never had any luck except a five point years ago. guess the rut is on right now and I've found a honey hole. :D :?:

T Rat you can get two bucks and ten does. I'm doing good if I get about four in a season. have to really work hard to get them.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
KY Jack I already have one for that. it worked on my wife about 32 yrs ago. :D :lol: :mrgreen: yep when that buck is in rut it gets him in trouble. :( :mrgreen:

Tx rat I don't know if its Alabama? think in south Carolina you can kill one a day. how many is your limits?

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
well instead of going to my hunting club I decided to go to the river in my boat and hunt on the river with my son and a friend. a lot of times I have a chair I take and just set on the ground . well I hadn't even had a chance to set down and I spot some bacon coming my way a lot of bacon. :) there was about 6 0r 8 of them. unfortunately one the fat sows bumped her head while she was eating acorns. :D :lol: :mrgreen: she weighed around 125 pds? she was as fat as could be.

well I can say I have had a good week off from _ _ _ _. got two deer and a hog and some fish to go along with it. I have never seen 10 deer from one stand in one week since I have been hunting. guess I have it in a honey hole? also my son got a six point and a hog too. he took his friend and he killed a big 8 point and is getting him mounted.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
catfish said:
I hadn't even had a chance to set down and I spot some bacon coming my way a lot of bacon. :) there was about 6 0r 8 of them. unfortunately one the fat sows bumped her head while she was eating acorns. :D

I heard about a blind hog finding an acorn now and then but never have heard of one bumping it's head on a hunter or a piece of lead.
My guess is that a blind hog would bump it's head on a lot of things so it might be possible that it would or could bump it's head on a hunter if he was sitting real still in a chair , probably snoozing and not snoring. :roll:
I'm thinking it bumped it's head on a piece of Lead instead. :lol:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Catfish
We can kill 2 bucks and three does.
I took a cull this weekend ( a spike ) with my bow.
Next weekend is the start of gun season.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
I took a cull this weekend ( a spike ) with my bow.

Ron

Never quite figured it out , a nice set of antlers is good for bragging rights but they are like footprints , you can't eat them.:roll:

We had a old time poacher around here that my partner and I chased all the time , caught him now and then. His favorite saying when asked if he got a deer was.... Got a nice 8 pointer just yesterday , all 8 points were straight down ( A Doe )

For you non hunters the deer have a divided hoof and the 4 hooves make 8 marks or points on the ground. ( not counting the dew claws which don't hit the ground all the time)

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Texas has some weird laws that I dont agree with but they are what they are.
You can kill a cull buck ( one unforked antler)
A buck over 13 inches wide
and three does
Ron

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
chuck I have heard of the 8 points. :lol: yea we call the hunt your talking about is the camp meat hunt. :D :roll: :mrgreen: on the first day you go get anything for the camp.