FISH FRY!!! | SouthernPaddler.com

FISH FRY!!!

A

Anonymous

Friend Kahuna,

One time Ole Peter Rabbit McGarrh fixed us some Merigold fried catfish. He made cornmeal "stick 'em" outta horseradish 'n mustard. Wuz sho good. Dang near all Peter Rabbit's thinkin' wuz outside de box.

Aint never heard nobody discuss fried fish "side dishes". Aint too big a fan a hushpuppies....less ya put jalapeno in 'em, but I'm kinda partial ta coleslaw.....purple cabbage if ya got it. If I git close ta de fixin' bowl, I mite sneak some spice'n garlic in....dependin' on how many little pardners gwine ta eat wid us.

Folks round here serious bout fried fish 'n jest dont blaspheme wid side dishes.....less ya count dark beer instead a Budweiser a side dish. ;-)

I figger anythin' else kinda like dat po kid in "Midnight Express" gwine round de pole de wrong way......a defective machine.

Long az ya fryin', what bout okra? Local football team called de "Fightin' Okra"....even won Division 2 last year...'er mebbe two years ago.

When I git some researchin' time I'll see what de Birmingham Sea Scrolls sez on it.

regards,

bearridge
"First de French, then dat Blaster kid, den Emeril"

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Hush puppies, corn fritters, fried fish with sauteed onions and pickled okra or fried okra if you please and naturally some good Home Cooked Gritz.... aint nothing better then that.

Now some Swamp Cabbage (Raw n' shredded) along with a good home made Cocktail Sauce just helps to kick everything in the A%# ... Pardon me Taste Buds..

To make the sauce just use some ketchup, horse radish (a lot) and some lemon or lime juice (not a lot just a couple of drops) .... Mix it all up and it is ready for you to dip anything into it, even fingers just for a test on the taste, only one time PLEASE.

Skip this part if you are not Southern , stay with the weaker , Yankee, version of this posted above
Some of us that like good chow , with a little extra kick will add some cayanne to the sauce or Louisiana hot sauce just to help it a little. One bite and you might look like this if you aint use to good chow :oops: In that case then follow this next step.
Wash everything down, inside ya , with an Ice Cold Bud.

If ya tasted the sauce then don't use that digit to wipe the tears from your eyes with cause if you do then the sauce will burn you more then one time. :roll:
Chuck.

DocMobius

Aug 25, 2003
Wasola, Missouri
That sounds as good as that peanut butter,mustard and collard green on rye sandwich I just ate. Now I'll get some dessert, hogs head cheesey jello with raisins or one of them frozen mountain oysters on a stick. mmm - mmm yummy. DocMobius :shock:

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
You ALL be CRAZY!!!

You guys are nuts!! LOL Thanks for the suggestions. KAHUNA

Aint never heard nobody discuss fried fish "side dishes". Aint too big a fan a hushpuppies....less ya put jalapeno in 'em, but I'm kinda partial ta coleslaw.....purple cabbage if ya got it. If I git close ta de fixin' bowl, I mite sneak some spice'n garlic in....dependin' on how many little pardners gwine ta eat wid us.

Folks round here serious bout fried fish 'n jest dont blaspheme wid side dishes.....less ya count dark beer instead a Budweiser a side dish. ;-)

I figger anythin' else kinda like dat po kid in "Midnight Express" gwine round de pole de wrong way......a defective machine.

Long az ya fryin', what bout okra? Local football team called de "Fightin' Okra"....even won Division 2 last year...'er mebbe two years ago.

When I git some researchin' time I'll see what de Birmingham Sea Scrolls sez on it.

regards,

bearridge
"First de French, then dat Blaster kid, den Emeril"[/quote] :eek:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
(SNIP) Some of us that like good chow, with a little extra kick will add some cayanne to the sauce or Louisiana hot sauce just to help it a little. One bite and you might look like this if you aint use to good chow :oops: In that case then follow this next step. (SNIP) Chuck.
If you candy assed suthners ever tasted any Thai food (Olde Fartes may remember it as Siam, as in "Anna and the King of") you'd figure out real quick that your weak kneed suthrin stuff is only good for a fire extriguisher. Capsaicin was invented in Thailand and only later did it migrate to Avery Island. Floated in on a coconut shell.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
Friend Kahuna,

One time Ole Peter Rabbit McGarrh fixed us some Merigold fried catfish. He made cornmeal "stick 'em" outta horseradish 'n mustard. Wuz sho good. Dang near all Peter Rabbit's thinkin' wuz outside de box.

regards, bearridge
"First de French, then dat Blaster kid, den Emeril"
Bear is the most Colorful Quotator I know. BUT - what is all this fixation on fixings!!??? You gize started out asking about fish - and ended up obsessing on fixings!! If you want to taste the fish (and God only knows why any sane person would want fish when beef is available) then do this.

Get a pot that has a cover, about 3-5 quart works nicely. Get a BakePacker ( www.adventurefoods.com ) or a stainless steel steamer basket - the kind that unfolds like a rose. Put an inch of water in the pot, set in the steamer. Put pot on burner and turn burner on high. Put the (cleaned) fish into a a olastic bag & fold over the bag. Set it onto the steamer and put top on pot. After steam appears let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn off buner and carefully remove cover (don't get a steam burn, it hurts) & remove bag of fish. Remove fish and eat.

THAT is the taste of fish. I'm willing to bet an arm and a leg that none of you has ever tasted it. You've been tasting grease, breading, peppers, lemons, spices, etc. etc. etc.

Now that you know what fish REALLY tastes like - go get a steak and join the human race - leaving the fish-eaters behind. I didn't work my way to the top of the food chain to dine on vegetables and mollusks. Them's fer mushrats n such.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

If you are ever in the South around some Orange Trees then pick some fresh oranges and squeeze the juice into a skillet. When you have the skillet bottom covered with orange juice then lay in some fresh fish fillets and poach them until white and flaky or for better words done. No breading, no grease, no fat. Just some good, Florida, fish the way the pioneers down here cooked them before the great Yankee invasion. :p

Serve with a Salad, a large pitcher of Unsweaten Ice Tea and a big bowel of hot, Delicious, Grits topped off with some Cracklin Cornbread.
It is so good that you will end up feeding that fatty, greasy, steak to the dog. :lol:

Signed ..... The Dog.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Beer Batter Walleye.

This is good for most white flesh meaty fish.

Beer Batter
1# fish, 1 egg, 1 cup flour
3/4 cup beer
Pat fish fillets dry with paper towels, mix in bowl egg, flour and beer, stir until smooth. Let the mixture set for about 20 minutes. Dip fish in the batter and fry in hot oil. Sprinkle with malt vinegar after you pull them out.
I like mine on a bun with a dab of tartar, pickled habanero peppers or Daves Insanity Sauce and a thin slice of onion. A side of Freedom Frys and cole slaw makes a fantastic meal, Goes well with many, many cans of the frosty malt beverage.
Warning: Habanero :twisted: pepper is not for the faint of heart, it's Tabasco concentrated about a zillion times. If your not into extreme heat, it will make you take back stuff you never stole! :cry:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

That is how the ole timers did it when Florida was still a wild place and there just weren't many folks down here and the ones that were here did not have much of anything.

When William Bartram made his canoe journey thru Florida back in 1773--74 following the route he and his dad took in 1765--66 that was the one way he cooked his trout (Bass) besides smoking them.

Yes .... It is quite good.
Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker

If you like warm to hot foods then here is something for you to look at. Also to snack on while waiting for supper.

I like the 5 Alarm Chipnuts and I will guarantee you that you will eat only one at a time. One bottle lasts for quite a while but they are hard to stop eating.

As they say ...... "Certified by the "Guinness Book of World Records" as the World's hottest spice, Red Savina Habanero Chiles (577,00 Scoville Heat Units) make this one of the worlds hottest snacks. "5 Alarm heat" for sure! "Chileheads" the world over agree, the is one of the BEST fiery snacks they've ever tried. If you or someone you know loves to sweat while they snack, this is the one. you might want to get a tall, cold one (or a glass of milk) before you open the jar, because now, Your're Playing with FIRE! "
Take a look http://www.cajohns.com/
Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Hot Stuff

Thank's Chuck, I'll be trying them.
Once in a while when I plant habaneros, I'll blend the habaneros and some mangos toghther, cools 'em down and gives that sweet hot flavor.
Yes, I love the sweat eating that stuff. Have to be careful now that I'm older if I have too much, I pay the next day.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Re: Hot Stuff

oldyaker said:
(SNIP) Yes, I love the sweat eating that stuff. Have to be careful now that I'm older if I have too much, I pay the next day.
Follow up the hot stuff with ice cubes. Then, the next day, as you're straining, you can say, "Come ONNNNNNNN ICE cubes!!"

A

Anonymous

Re: Beer Batter Walleye.

oldyaker said:
Warning: Habanero :twisted: pepper is not for the faint of heart, it's Tabasco concentrated about a zillion times. If your not into extreme heat, it will make you take back stuff you never stole! :cry:

Friend oldyaker,

I wuz typin' out h-a-b-a-n.....(in my ramblin' above) but I quit. I figger sayin' it out loud iz a danger....even wid good disclaimin'. Buddy raized 'em several years. One kin go a loooooooooooooooong way.

I jest dont let on I know nuthin' bout habaneros.

Kinda like I dont say "Barry Manilow" out loud. :lol:

Vinegar iz mitey good on fried fish. Ole Kayak Jack wuz rite when he sez we aint really tastin' fish. I tried boiled fish....once. I tried baked fish....mebbe twice. One time I stir fried some fish.

I eat fish all de time now.....sardines (wid little pepper 'n oil on 'em).

regards,

bearridge
"speak no evil"

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I know what yer say'n guy's about the day after habaneros! Jack, I never tried ice cubes but I have tried ice cream. Don't work buddy!
When dad was still around we both were big into hot peppers, Thai hots, cayenne, jalapeno and habanero. Raised them all in the garden. We dried and ground quite a few. I still have a few sealed jars of dried ground peppers that we did together when he still was alive. As bearridge sez, a little goes a long way. Once dad and I were grind'n those dried peppers in ma's food grinder, ma loved mak'n cookies for Christmas with ground nuts in them. Well, she caught us grind'n those peppers in her food grinder. She screamed at us for doing it, "NOW I'M GONNA HAVE HOT NUT"S"! :shock: Well, dad and I were biting our cheeks real hard until she left the room, and let me tell you we had the laugh of a lifetime. :lol: Anyway, ma made one more batch of cookies from walnuts she ground in that food grinder. Dad and I loved those cookies but no one else did, anyway she gave us that food grinder and bought another one for herself. The heat from those habaneros remains in that grinder to this day.
I mentioned a Mango Habanero Sauce in an earlier post that dad and I used to make, we would seal it in pint mason jars. It is good on grilled chicken or crow, pork and even fish. Here goes the recipe if any one wants a try at it.
Couple of tablespoons of oil, peanut prefered.
about 8 real ripe mangos cut up in cubes.
1/2 cup or so of diced onion
1/2 cup or so of diced carrot
2 to 4 habanero peppers, how tuff are you?
1/2 cup of ketchup, Heinz seems best.
1/4 to 1/2 cup of sugar
about 1/2 cup of vinegar
few shakes of salt
Heat the oil in saucepan, throw in the mangos, habaneros, carrot, onion.
Cook over medium heat about 10-12 minutes.
Deglaze with the vinegar than pour in the ketchup and sugar. Slow boil it for half an hour to 45 minutes.
Pour the mix into a blender until smooth. If it's too thick, add a little water.

We found this recipe in a chile book somewhere and used it many times.
Mango tones down the habanero.

PS: If you try drying and than grinding habaneros. Wear a dust mask, glasses and rubber gloves as we did. You can inflict some serious pain on yourself if you don't! It ain't no joke.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Pain

Pirogue, Believe me the are worse places you can touch yourself after handling peppers when not thinking! :shock: