FISH FRY!!! | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

FISH FRY!!!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: Beer Batter Walleye.

bearridge said:
(SNIP) Ole Kayak Jack wuz rite when he sez we aint really tastin' fish. I tried boiled fish....once. I tried baked fish....mebbe twice. One time I stir fried some fish.(SNIP) bearridge "speak no evil"
Bear,

I never really thought much about it, but I'm willing to make a gentlemen's bet. If someone went back over all the words in this string, they could put them into one of three categories: (1) fish, (2) fixings, and (3) customs that go along with eating & drinking fish & fixings.

Category# 1 would have, maybe, 7 words in. All the other message traffic would be in the other two.

A

Anonymous

Re: Beer Batter Walleye.

Kayak Jack said:
I never really thought much about it, but I'm willing to make a gentlemen's bet. If someone went back over all the words in this string, they could put them into one of three categories: (1) fish, (2) fixings, and (3) customs that go along with eating & drinking fish & fixings.

Category# 1 would have, maybe, 7 words in. All the other message traffic would be in the other two.

Observin' Friend Jack,

Reckon yer rite. On tv I seen a cookin' fella show how ya git yer mouth ta quit burnin' after eatin' a mean pepper. Water aint no good, but alcohol iz. He had a shot glass full a vodka which he sez ya wrench around in yer mouth, then ya spit.

He didnt spit. Dont reckon wastin' vodka makes no sense.

regards,

bearridge

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Another one Kahuna.

Beer batter for fish and shrimp.
About 4# of fish fillets or peeled shrimp
2 cups flour and 2 cups cornmeal
2 beaten eggs
garlic powder, salt and pepper to your liking

Mix up the cornmeal, flour, eggs, salt and pepper in bowl.
Add enough, beer and stir until it's like a thick pancake batter. pour over the shrimp or fish and let set for a couple hours.
Put small amounts into the hot grease and fry it up.

Another one I got somewhere, tried it and liked it.

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
My recipe for frying fish:

1. Coat fish fillets in flour.
2. Dip fillets in mixture of milk, an egg and a good bit of Crystal Hot Sauce. Sometimes I add a little mustard.
3. Coat fillets with a mixture of equal parts Zatarain's Fish Fry with Lemon, flour and cornmeal seasoned with Tony Chachere's Seasoning.
4. Fry

Hushpuppies:

To commercial hushpuppy mix I add about half a small can of corn using all of the liquid, tasso or cooked bacon, red onion, green onions, jalepenos and cheddar cheese.

Kurt

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
I was catching up on "lost" articles when I found this one....
Fish ain't beef..... beef will NEVER taste as good as fish....
Beef might be "What's for dinner" sometimes, but when presented with a slab of flounder, a heap of fried shrimp, some oysters, scallops, and maybe some fries ( who needs side dishes when good fish is on the menue?) the choice is 99% fish plate over the cows.
I have had bad tasting, chewy, fat infested beef steaks before, but I ain't never had bad fresh fish... note the word "fresh" there...
The fish has many tastes and will fill one up with satisfaction every time... oh yea, there's fish that's not as good as others... but in the long run fish dinner will keep ya going til the next supper of them.
Now mom used to love her pickled pigs feet, but her son never cared for the things... Hogs head and such never did it for me either.
Awwwww... the power of FISH... :wink:
swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Swampy

Ya said .........."a slab of flounder, a heap of fried shrimp, some oysters, scallops, and maybe some fries ( who needs side dishes when good fish is on the menue?) the choice is 99% fish plate over the cows."

Call me when supper is ready ....I am :D
Chuck.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Re: Pain(reminds me of a story)

Wife would kill me if she new I was telling this. LOL Well....one day I made a big bowl of my "Tropical Salsa". Had chopped up some hot peppers. THOUGHT I had washed my hands good. WELL....wife and I got frisky that night...and well......she jumped out of the bed and said..."I'M BURNING DOWN THERE!!" Did you wash the hot peppers off your hands. Need I say more... LOL KAHUNA
oldyaker said:
Pirogue, Believe me the are worse places you can touch yourself after handling peppers when not thinking! :shock:

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
and Kahuna, don't ever use "Tiger Balm" and forget! The judge will only give you $25 a month after settlement....

I don't use heavy amounts of hot spices. Tears me up and my mouth gets way to cooked... I'd rather enjoy the taste of the food than a burning burp. I don't use much ketchup if any...
Chuck when we do get up a party for a float trip, I'd want to make fish stew with corn fritters.... just caught !
swampy

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
RE:MANGO HABENERO SAUCE

Gonna make this if I can find some good mangos. THANKS!! KAHUNA
oldyaker said:
I know what yer say'n guy's about the day after habaneros! Jack, I never tried ice cubes but I have tried ice cream. Don't work buddy!
When dad was still around we both were big into hot peppers, Thai hots, cayenne, jalapeno and habanero. Raised them all in the garden. We

A

Anonymous

Friends,

Yesterday I wuz askin' theEarl bout the Eleven Point River. Lo 'n behold the talk went straight ta fishin'. Next thang I know he sez ya kin boil yer fish fer two minutes in beer, then dip it in butter, sprinkle some lemon juice 'n salt ta taste.

Reckon up in cosmopolated places they boil 'em in red wine. What if ya used a bottle a Hiney Wine?

Thats some food fer thinkin'. :roll:

regards,

bearridge

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Think'n Bear?

Sounds like almost a Po' Boyz Lobsta. Cept you boils a lobsta in water, dip it butter and squirt some lemon juice on it. Lobsta cost an arm and leg and your first born, fish just costs a little time on the lake or river. I like the beer idea Bear, I boil shrimp and crawdads in beer, why not some white fleshed fish? Maybe you just come up with somethin' Chef Bear!