forgot something | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

forgot something

Steve

Alright. . . to put the galvanize issue to bed. . .

Yes, I recommended it not be used. . . I will stand by it. My chief concern was to inform the risk . . . I choose to NOT have anything galvanized around my fires because I have had galvanize poisoning too many times to want it to happen again. . .

Yes, it is possible to use galvanized metal safely in Chuck's 5 questions . . . I recommend it not being used because of POTENTIAL health hazards. . . As Mick stated it is the fumes and the gases emitted from the zinc inside the coating that creates the hazard. . . It can and will make its way into food stuffs. . . I did not intend to create a problem or raise anyone's ire. . .

If you use galvanized metals around fire. . .be smart about it. . . Wood fires will generate enough heat to start the fuming process, it takes a little more time than it does with welding but it will bring on the fumes. . . If you use galvanized metals and it appears to be getting dark . . . take the appropriate action. . . .

Chuck. . .if Scouts are cooking in galvanized trash cans. . . the troop leaders need shot. . .

Ok. . . said my piece. . . now on, I'll just ask questions. . . . .

islandpiper

Steve is right. Galvanizing poisoning is no fun.

Look at this poor victim: baggy sacks under his eyes, straggley gray hair, listless eyes, wrinkled skin.....and this poor joker is only 26 years old!!
piper%20in%20hat.jpg

Don't let this happen to you. Have your stoves and things sandblasted by the local body shop before you fire them up.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Steve ....

Just asking because I did not know about the subject that well , always heard it was not smart but that was about as far as it went.

When I use to do the symposiums/talks ( I was a guest speaker) about camping , canoeing , hiking here in Florida at the Scout Jamborees they always cooked turkeys in galvanized trash cans for the staff's lunch. For some reason ( might of been common sence) I never could eat any of it. Man those were some pretty birds they pulled out of those trash cans. They sure did look delicious but I would have something from the cover dishes.

Could of been that around here the turkey goes in the garbage can after it is eaten , not before then. :D

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I have to agree with Steve on this,heat galvinzed material and food dont need to mix,
I use to do a lot of work in food processing plants, a lot of the material was galvinized ,but not around any kind of heat.
Seen a few folks in the hospital from those fumes.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
My old list which has had some modifications to it but I basically take the same stuff , different stove , fuel ,pots an pans. Mine has been a process of elimination , what went on a trip and was not used was dropped from the list.

BASIC CAMPING LIST ( CANOE )

BEDROOM , WATERPROOF BACKPACK ( Green Waterproof bag )
Tent or Jungle Hammock ,Mattress (self inflating) , Blanket (for hammock) ,Sleep sheet, Pillow, Sleeping Bag, , Extra tie downs ( for storm’s ), Tarp, Ground cloth, “T” Paper, Trowel.

Yellow Waterproof Bag, can be put in the large waterproof bag or backpack will include
Medication, Toothbrush, Paste, Razor, Baby Wipes, Glasses, Film, Camera, Matches or Lighter

KITCHEN (small cooler)
Stove, Fuel, Quart Pot, Pot Lifter, Oven, Dish Soap, Clorox, Kitchen Spoon, Can Opener, Paper Towels, Matches or Lighter.

FOOD
Tuna, Turkey, Ham, Chicken, Beef Hash, Field Peas, Dressing, Gravy, Garlic Noodles, Rice, Grits, Oatmeal, Bagels or Pita bread , Soup, Beef Stew, Chicken with Dumplings…. Granola Bars, P Nut Butter, Olives, Pickles, Oyster Crackers, X Sharp Cheese, ( With Salsa ) Summer Sausage, Shredded Wheat Cereal, one gal. Water per day.

TRANSPORTATION
Canoe, Kayak, Paddles, Cushions( 3 ) , Rope ( 50’), Trailer tie Downs, Anchor, Back Rest.

CLOTHING (backpack)
Slacks, Long Shirt, ( Supplex ), Rain Coat, Undies, Socks, Shorts, Towel, Bathing , Hat, (Winter ) Jacket, Heavy Long Sleeve Shirt ,

COMFORT
Folding Lawn or Camping Chair, Bug Shirt, Bug Dope, Lantern, Flashlight, Insulated Cup.

EXTRA ITEMS
Snacks will go into a Coon Proof tube , G.P.S. Unit in it’s Waterproof Container with Spare Batteries , G.P.S. Map in a Waterproof Tube, Pur Explorer Water Treatment unit. Para cord for tiedowns.__________________________________________________________________________________
**********************************************************************************************************************************************

The nice thing about this is it all can be packed up in two waterproof bags and one Rubbermaid box ( the food and stove) with the chair on the side ( loose) as far as the camping gear. That leaves room for the paddles and the Coon Tube with the crackers , Vienna's and snacks in it to go with the boat gear.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
My list is no where as comprehensive as Jacks list was. I have searched this site , my old disks from the other computer to see if it was on there and even in word to try to find Jacks list. With negative results but I know it is saved somewhere around here , trouble of it is finding it. I know I have it because I have posted it on here for Jack several times when someone would ask for a complete list and it was a complete list. :D

By the way , I placed an order for one of the tripod grills from Cabelas. At the age of 65 I really don't think there is much more out there to hurt me , especially from what I have been threw. Plus I don't want to make it back to 26 and look like that guy in the above picture. :lol: I like to cook over coals and not a fire and for the 14 minutes or less it takes to do a steak , 7 minutes or less on each side , just long enough to take the MOOOOoooooo out of it when you eat it ..... I feel it would be more or less safe.
I will stay up wind and still thinking of the heat resistant Manifold paint for vehicles to use on the legs of the tripod . I could make a asbestosis sleeve for them , lower 2/3rds only. :wink:

Chuck.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
i'm amused at how the "list" gets longer as we get older

when i was a lot younger, the list was ice chest, beer, mosquito dope, vienna sausage, crackers, matches, trot line and chicken guts (bait), oh and toilet paper

now the list is so long that by the time you get it all together, you don't have enough energy to go

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
oldsparkey said:
I will stay up wind and still thinking of the heat resistant Manifold paint for vehicles to use on the legs of the tripod . I could make a asbestosis sleeve for them , lower 2/3rds only. :wink:

Chuck.
Chuck, Zinc melts at 787°F. Above that your 2000° paint is going to be floating on a liquid and likely won't stay on.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Heeeyyy, did somebody say "free"? :mrgreen: You're talking my language, now. I do like the cat litter tubs. Two small ones give me plenty room and pack better than one big container. Allows more flexibility in balancing the load.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jimmy W said:
oldsparkey said:

Chuck.
Chuck, Zinc melts at 787°F. Above that your 2000° paint is going to be floating on a liquid and likely won't stay on.

Good point , thanks for pointing that out. :D

Chuck.