free mulch | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

free mulch

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Bob, he just has too much stuff so he feeds a lot of excess to his chickens. Funny thing is he doesn't eat the chickens. He eats the eggs and just lets the chickens live their lives and die of old age. He uses the chickens mainly to turn garden scraps into great soil that goes back into the garden.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
He's close. A well mnaged homestead involves many, self-cycling circles. Feed corn to pigs. Barnyard slope down toward a pond. Chickens recover undigested corn from pig droppings. Rain washes slurry diwnhill into the pond. Turtles, fish, etc. feed at various levels on grass eyc. Growing in the "enrichrd" waters.

If no pond, place garden next to pig yard. Every few years, flip flop the two.

Use it up; wear it out.
Make it do, or do without.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Joey good topic, the. One thing i worry about grass clipping is grass seeds? You plow or hoe it to get it out? You geezers may laugh but I got a scare crow in my garden. I also. Urinate around it. Seems to be working so far? I have heard of the hair thing to.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
An update. Right now, I have mustard greens, leaf lettuce, carrots, and strawberries growing......all doing very well. The bugs took a liking to the mustard greens and just about ate them up.
Very little in the way of weeds. I've had the most trouble with nut sedge. Bad, BAD stuff. Trying not to use herbicides, I just stayed ahead of it by digging up the plants. Not much of a chore with the rich, loose soil there now. I think I've gotten a hold on it. The covering has done it's job and smothered out most of the weeds.

I'm looking forward to this spring to grow some tomatoes that actually TASTE like tomatoes. Cucumbers and potatoes are also on the list. We use so little of other vegetables, it really doesn't pay me to grow them.

Rounding out the "fruit forest" we have bananas, figs, japan plums and 3 kinds of blackberries. A satsuma tree is coming also.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yes, Jack, the cucumber go on a trellis. Much better use of space and the bugs don't bother them as much. Satsuma is a type of mandarin orange........easier to peel and much sweeter than a standard orange.

Catfish, I haven't noticed any growth of plants from any grass seeds that could have come in with the mulch. The lawn grasses really don't get high enough to go to seed and the hay is usually cut before going to seed also.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Those are probably really close. Satsumas tend to have a deeper, richer flavor, I think. I just happened to buy a bag of Halo satsumas today. Not even CLOSE to the average homeowner satsumas.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Not even CLOSE to the average homeowner satsumas.

The only comparison between the two is that they are both citrus Products.
We enjoy both but if we had to chose only one it would be the Satsumas every time. :D Our neighbor has a old Satsuma , Orange , tree in there back yard and it takes a extension ladder to get near the top of it. That one tree produces all the oranges anyone would want , for several of the homes. :D

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I've never bothered to plant a satsuma. I have plenty of friends begging for people to come get them before they ruin. Besides being good, they are prolific. Matter of fact, my bowl is about empty so I'll go to a friends in the morning and get another bowl full.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A friend of mine lives about 60 miles S'ly of Sacramento, in the valley. Walnut orchards all around him. He has several kinds of orange trees in his yard. He brings a big bag of them to our canoe trip in May, and we pass them out to share the load. Every paddler has a fresh orange along with his breakfast. JARVIS GOOD EATIN!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Before the developers and the invasion of people from up north.
A lot of the rivers down here have wild citrus trees growing along them , we could paddle and pick citrus. Everything from Grapefruit , Oranges to Tangerines and lemons or limes.
Now on several rivers ( The state has not keep [ protected ] as wilderness rivers ) it is easier to find manicured lawns and homes , they call it progress. :? :twisted:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
My Dad and Mom always talked about how thankful they were when they were kids to just have an apple or an orange in their Christmas stocking.
We picked these satsumas off their tree Christmas Day. They would be pleased :D .

Two were whoppers compared to normal size satsumas.

Tree did well this year. Picked about this many once before.
beekeeper