Fried Okra | SouthernPaddler.com

Fried Okra

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Mrs. B fried okra tonight. After chopping the okra she sliced some jalapenos up in the okra , them breaded all of it in corn meal and fried it. I had never had it like that before and it was very good.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
"O" YES.... About 1/2 to 3/4 inch chunks cut and fried , that is some good eating. Go's good with Shrimp , Catfish , Chicken , Gator or Turtle chunks , heck just about anything.
The wife does not like Okra but I love the stuff so it gives me a good reason to go out to eat and have it and she knows I will order it.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Jono,
Okra is slimey if you boil it. Throw a few pods in with black eyed peas. Slimey okra is good. Like Chuck said, cut them crosswise (Jack :wink: ) , roll them in cornmeal and fry them. Very good.
Chinese okra is not a true okra. Everybody has probally heard of luffa sponges. They grow on a vine. You let them mature, take the outter s,in off, get the seeds out and you have a luffa sponge. There is another kind of luffa that is ribbed like okra. Let it grow six to eight inches long and pick it. Peel the ridged down and cut it up like okra and fry it like okra. Use it raw in salads. Fix it any way you would fix zucinni. Next year I am going to plant a bunch of it. Let it run on clothes line, fences or trellis. It taste wonderful.
Bob

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Good component for soups and stews. Thickens them. Doesn't seem slimy when used that way.

It's also good when stewed with tomatoes.

Boiled by itself, it does seem slimy. But chopped, breaded and fried, okra is a treat.

George

islandpiper

The way i like to do okra is this:
Turn on the deep fryer to 350 degrees.
Peel it really good, so there's no green left showing. Any inside parts plus the top inch or so and bottom inch or so all go in the trash, so no seeds or seed dividers and no skin or green showing. Further, any part of it that may be sort of whitish or ivory colored or may turn green some day should be tossed out too. Wash off the cutting board and the peeler really good, and don't forget to wash your hands. Flush all the remaining bits down the disposal and run plenty of water after it. Then, turn off the deep fryer and put the lid back on it.

It's not fattening at all this way and the slime won't bother you at all.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I thought I liked you, Mr. Piper. Now, you show your true colors and talk about okra like that Jack feller does about grits. :(

Damn, but I love fried okra! Food of the gods :D :D :D

Mike

islandpiper

The difference is that I'm right about okra and Jack's wrong about grits. Ask him if he eats his pasties with gravy or ketchup, that's the real test.

I had a bad experience with okra when i was in my formative years. Some things just stay with you, that's all.

I do know that if you are changing tractor tires on a hard shop floor you can mash up some okra on the floor and slide the wheel and tire right on with about half the work.

Piper......born a yankee.....got smarter later on.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I can see it in a soup/stew combo, makes sense there. Never had it pickled.

It's some hard , time consuming , difficult work to pickle them but I found a easy way. Just walk into the grocery store.... go to the pickle section and pick up a jar.
The hard part is figuring which to get the mild or the hot ( which is not that hot). The one I like is the Talk o" Texas Crisp Okra Pickles. After the jar is opened then keep it in the frig so you can have them nice and chilled. :D
http://www.talkotexas.com/products.html

Chuck.
The best part is that the wife hates Okra ,in any form , so I can keep them all for myself. :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
<SNIP> The best part is that the wife hates Okra ,in any form , so I can keep them all for myself. :wink:
I just gained renewed respect for your wife's intelligence and taste. I know, you're going to say something about it's because she's from the north, and just doesn't understand the culture, lacks the capacity to do so.

Didjya ever wonder what the first cave guy thought when he sliced open his first okra and was confronted with a gallon of snot from a 2 cubic inch plant? He had to be REALLY hungry to take the first bite.

Turning to his little brother, the one with a bent leg and oddly shaped head, he says, "Here, Chuck. YOU take a bite. I'll eat later." (Silently thinking, "if he lives, I may try it. Yeah, like I'm that dumb!!")

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Didjya ever wonder what the first cave guy thought when he sliced open his first okra and was confronted with a gallon of snot from a 2 cubic inch plant? He had to be REALLY hungry to take the first bite.

Jack... You are grosley wrong about the Okra , it was an OYSTER they did that with. That is snot on a shell , part runny and part congealed. When a person coughs up a glob of snot and spits it out , why do you think they call it an oyster. Appetizing thought , don't you think. :mrgreen:

As far as the wife , her dad had a farm and raised okra and she helped to pick it , if you have never picked okra then you need to , the little spines on the plant will tear your hands up. It's not a fun thing to pick off the plant but "O" So Good when cooked. :D
Ha Ha Ha , Her dad also had 35,000 chickens laying eggs. After we got married it took her a long time before she would even look at a cooked egg much less eat one.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Eggs and oysters are what constitute a "Hangtown Fry". An old story from the gold rush days in the Sierra Nevada's.

This....................
Hangtown Fry Recipe I

1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon milk
Breading mixture of cracker crumbs and bread crumbs
Vegetable Oil
3 raw oysters
2 slices bacon
2 eggs

In a small bowl, beat egg with the milk.

Dip the oysters in egg/milk mixture and then breading. Pan-fry until three-fourths cooked. While doing this, fry the bacon in another skillet until just before it becomes crisp.

Beat the eggs lightly. Place the bacon like railroad tracks off-center in a frying pan, pour a bit of the egg over the bacon. Place the oysters on bacon and pour the remaining eggs over. Cook and then fold the omelets over.

Makes 1 serving.
*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

I can see how it got it's name , some so and so serves me that for breakfast I would hang him right there in town.

Chuck.......
It does sound good , but why wreck some fried oysters ? Eggs , Bacon , Grits and the oysters on the side.