Fried Okra | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Fried Okra

islandpiper

Kayak Jack said:
When Jack was a kid, during meat rationing in the war, he ate gizzards, liver, and fried eggplant.

Jack grew up.
:D :D :D :D

Just about every other gas station here has a "hot counter" where you can buy deep fried gizzards, deep fried livers and fried eggplant. If you're lucky you can get there while there's still turkey necks, too God, i love the South.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
islandpiper said:
Just about every other gas station here has a "hot counter" where you can buy deep fried gizzards, deep fried livers and fried eggplant. If you're lucky you can get there while there's still turkey necks, too God, i love the South.

piper

Same down here but there is one chicken joint ( Famous Recipe ) in Sanford that has the best there is. It is a MUST STOP when ever I'm up there. There fried chicken livers and a tub of that peppery gravy to dip the livers in are the best I have ever had. Then along with smashed taters , cold slaw and especially there biscuits , "O" those biscuits. :D :D :D

Chuck.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
islandpiper said:
Don't tell Wannabe, but I found that the deep fried okra was best if i cracked one end open and squeezed all the green stuff inside and just ate the shell. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: piper

They fried the whole pod? That's not the best way to do it. It should be sliced cross-ways in about 1/2-5/8" pieces, then breaded and fried. Much better that way - crisper and none of the green slime some folks don't like. Yum!

Mike

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Your descriptions of fried okra exactly match your descriptions of fried fish. Add LOTS of tasty breading and fry hell out of it. That way, you don't have to taste whatever the stuff is in the middle, cause the good flavor of oily, spicy breading covers it up.

DeweyFord

Jul 1, 2011
I love fried okra and pickled okra. I could eat a basket of both for a meal. I usually get fried okra at Cracker Barrel and I get pickled okra from my sister who grows it. I need to learn how to pickle it myself because I usually go through the jars really fast.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I don't know if I'm going to get any okra this year or not. It comming along very slow. That's OK though. Last year after eating the heck out of it and giving it away I still put about 12 gallon zip loc bags of in the freezer. If I don't get one pod of okra this year I will probally have enough to last to next year. :D
Bob