Gear Report My new bivy tent | SouthernPaddler.com

Gear Report My new bivy tent

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I bought this bivy tent and just set it up. Here are my opinions.

8b5c79ec.jpg

The cost was around $35this was good. Interior space was low at the foot end for my cot. I think in a raining situation the roof would be on your feet. Head height was ok single pole set up. Must be set up on level ground or on an even plane the door zipper does not function if not.

ba14cf41.jpg

Ventilation was ok top foot and screened front door as long as entry door was unzipped. Set up was around 15 minutes on first attempt. The gear space in the entry was cramped and could be a problem for at night exit.
12f2a6f6.jpg

It lacks sidewall ropes to tension them. Again in a windy day I think the sidewalls would be in on you.

Overall

Not the best tent in my opinion

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Is there a screen door with it , if so then you could just zip it up and if there is are some trees handy put a small tarp over the front as a shelter, that way you would have some dry room or space to get in and out of the tent from. Plus offering rain protection so the front could be open.

Half way down the side attach another tie off item ( loop , D ring , whatever) to pull the side out more and to offer more support to the bivy. That will keep the sides out and offer a lot more wind resistance.

If anything you could run two support lines from the top of the center pole out for more wind support or even to use as a vestibule with a small tarp.

Bivys are for a quick set up as a shelter , not really for comfort like a larger tent. With some imagination .. things can get improved and changed.

After all what are you going to do in it , have a party or just sleep.

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
It does have a screen door.

988f0eba.jpg

8b5c79ec.jpg

I'll have to see what I can do about a rain tarp for added entry space.

Loops or D rings are something the manufacture needs to know about. Any suggestions on how those can be attached as an after market.

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
Looks HUGE for a bivy

Mine has more heigth at the foot but less at the head, I can barely sit upright without touching the top. There seems to be enough tension in the entire tent that I haven't had problems with it coming in on me. The positives: it's side entry, unzip the full-side screen and door and just roll in; super lite 1 1/2 #; packs small (think 12" bagette); cheap $20. The negatives: really small(36" @ widest point, 90" long, 32" @ highest point) it's single wall ('nuf said?).

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Probably the best way to attach the loops or D rings would to be on the seam running down the side , by stitching them into place. If you do make sure to seal seam them.

It would make it a lot faster if someone was inside the bivy while you are outside or in the reverse.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chuck has already made the very suggestions I was going to say. Only thing I can add is you might consider sewing the extra tabs with waxed dental floss. And, as Chuck said, use seam sealer afterwards. (Can you say Thompson's Deck Seal?)

nobucks

For the Apostle Islands trip, I picked up a Eureka Solitude Bivy Tent on Amazon.com for $55.

You can't sit up all the way in it, so it's not for everyone, but I didn't have any problem with it. Of course, we didn't get weathered in at all, either. Ask me again after eight hours in a thunderstorm, and I might have a different opinion. It sort of reminds me of a big, gold Egyptian sarcophagus.

If you're expecting good weather, the rain fly rolls back to give you an unobstructed view of the sky if you want and it has a zipper down the peak of the tent, which makes it easy to put your gear in and get it back out.

01.jpg

On our Apostle Islands trip, Mark and Mark slept in tents that were 6 foot x 5 foot, not quite big enough for my 6'10" body. The Eureka was eight feet long, which was a big selling point for me, plus it rolled up into a tiny package, just right for a dry bag and my kayak.

tent01.jpg

tent02.jpg

tent04.jpg

tent05.jpg

tent06.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joel,

The little tens your buddies were in will likely dump water on them if they try to enter or exit in a rain. That little rooftop empties right onto doors and windows. You had the best ten in that lineup.