Glades Skiff Build | Page 6 | SouthernPaddler.com

Glades Skiff Build

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Appreciate the sentiment there, Jack. U B Right, as usual on such matters. . .

I did something today that I normally avoid like the plague.

I got home this morning about 7:30 AM. This, after working the third of my three, 12hr. night shifts. I've learned from experience that for me, Mondays are best used for plotting and planing, only. And even that, is best done in the evening. Tuesdays are good for me, as by then, I'm back on a day time mode, up around 7 or so, and ready to go.

But this week, I needed an "extra" day. I really want to get the Skiff IN the water! Still, I've got a gallon of varnish to apply. So, when I got home this morning, I moved the skiff back outside and put the 3rd coat of varnish on the bottom and sides, as well as the seat and poling platform.

Then I went back inside, set my alarm for 3 hours, and went straight into a deep sleep.

Off goes the alarm, out the door I go. The bottom and sides now have 4 coats of varnish and first thing Tuesday morning, if the weather stays like it has been, I should be able to get 3 coats on the inside of the boat. That, and finish the varnishing on the seat and platform as well.

With 4 coats on the bottom and sides, and 3 coats on the inside, I have no problem putting it in the water. Once I get past that milestone, I'll finish up whatever is left of that gallon, (won't be much!) and give some thought on ordering more.

Also, I just realized that my wife, who is supposed to video the first water trials, will be out of town until I go back to work next weekend! It may not turn out as well as it would have otherwise, but I can still get it on video, as while turning the garage inside out, I did find my tripod. So, this will be truly a "one man show."

Dangit! I was really counting on having someone else to blame! :wink:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Delay may well be our best tactic now, Mike. Let that varnish get dry and really hard before you wet it. It would be a shame to ruin the finish after all this work. Seedtick will be a much better adviser here than me, BeeKeeper too. But, I'm guessing they may advise something similar.
Get back on your regular sleep cycle; that is important to your health.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Oh, I'm back on what passes for my regular sleep cycle, I only interrupted one day, Monday. In fact, I slept better Monday night that I usually do! Even slept in a little bit, this AM. :)

But messing up that one day really worked out well! I got the 4th coat of varnish on the bottom and a like number on the seat and poling platform. Today, I put two coats on the inside and the seat & poling platform are now done. Tomorrow, if the weather continues to hold, and it looks like it will, I'll be able to get the third coat on the inside and until I order more varnish, I'll call it finished.

The plywood really drank up the varnish and I was more than happy to keep feeding it. Spent a good deal of time making certain all of the exposed ends of the ply was well coated. Same for the few end grains of the planks. Right now, it looks like that last coat on the inside will take up the rest of the varnish. I hope to have enough left for the push pole, but that is of secondary importance right now.

Also, in between coats of varnish, I drove to the county park where the lake is that I've chosen for the first launch. It used to be a large, popular lake, no real depth to it, but it did have a healthy bass population. Years ago, the darn thing dried up, pretty much completely. It was so bad, the park had to plant some heavy poles at the end of the boat ramp to keep people from driving all over the lake bed. But the water started coming back up a few years ago, and now the end of the ramp is in the water again. But the poles are still there.

No matter, they have a ban on any motors over 10hp. anyway. Found out today that there have been people on the lake using canoes and kayaks. I was told that my skiff will be welcome there. From what I've seen, the lake will be a pretty good test bed as it has enough emergent vegetation to simulate the Everglades.

I'll let you know about the bass, too. :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Anyone else dying to see it in the water? I check this thread daily for the Christening pics. Thanks for an interesting and informative build thread.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
This turned out to be a good day. :D

I appreciate all of the comments, suggestions and input from everyone.

It is done now, check it out in the "Boat Bragging" section!

And the promised video will be posted there, within the hour.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL