Clicky

Glassing before construction?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Guess I might as well pass on my experience and give you something to read. Sometime ago I glued a stripped deck and glassed on side to get ahead of the game. A few weeks later pulled it out of the shed to find it had warped so bad it wasn,t useable. About a month ago I had a good start on a pirogue. Glassed the outside, and had to quit because of some medical issues. Pulled it out today to start the inside, the tops of the sides are warped, and it is no longer perfectly square. All recoverable but will be added work. My thoughts are if you glass one side, don't wait too long to do the other side. It's more warped then the picture shows. View attachment 978
Thanks for posting you're experiences.
Have you ever made a glued panel and stored it "a few weeks" before using it? If so, I assume it was not warped?
Was the wood air or kiln dried?
Were the strips bead and cove, or just butted together and glued? How wide are the strips?
Were they stored on a flat surface?
Besides moisture absorption, any idea what may have caused the problem?

beekeeper

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Sorry for the delay. Been real busy with life. Thanks for all the replies, hope I don't leave some answers out. The deck panel glassed on one side ",shrunk" on the unglassed side. It was flat tn a shed loft but no weights. I think the unepoxied wood dried quicker than the glassed side ,It actually curled up!
I think next time I'll at least saturation coat the other side. Bee, as for glued strip panels stored with out any glass, I've not had a problem.However we made our trip to the Great State of Texas in the end of January, and haven't been back to Kansas yet. I left a pi.rogue with panels glued, not cut out. I'm a little anxious about that. no bead and cove,. air dried, side strips are 3/4 and floor 11/2 wide. We hope to go home soon, we live very rural in Kansas and medical access is much easier here in the Austin area.
Good Fish'n
Andy

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Hope you make it back to Kansas soon.
In general terms, seems the problem was the wood continued to dry, but the glass restricted it's even movement. Thanks for the info.

bee