Glassing the bottom? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Glassing the bottom?

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Wel guys that was a nightmare! I did it in one hit which was not a problem in itself. The saturation coat was just about tacky still and I laid out the cloth as you suggested. I then mixed some resin and started to apply it.

I put it on sparingly. Then I tried ladling it on. Then I tried wetting the wood with resin and laying the fabric backover it while wet.

Nothing would make it wet out uniformly! There are areas where the glass has wetted properly and it has gone clear. Over much of it there are still traces of the weave showing as a ghostly pattern. Not bubbles mind but just not wetted out completely clear.

I tried foam rollers, squeegie. stippling with a brush, massaging it withgloved hands and swearing. None seemed to help. I wonder if this was just a tightly woven fabric?

After all my care with the joinery I may have to paint the boat anyway :cry:

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
OK thanks Jack.

It's now 01:40 (yes that's AM!) so I'm going to go to bed now and stop worrying about it. I will check in the morning and dig out the macro lens to take a pic if necessary.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Morning, Steve2, Your assignment, should you decide to accept it, is to look that boat over with a loving eye. You may have to sand off some of what you did on the first coat. And, then again, maybe not.

Should you, or any of your team, be apprehended, the Secretary and I will disavow any knowledge of your existence. this tape will self-destruct in five seconds.

(Chirrpy, Mission Impossible music in background here)

Waliczek

Jan 31, 2007
Kansas City, Kansas
Well, I also applied the bottom fabric this evening. What a scary thing. However It turned out better then I thought. Certainly not as good as you fellas can do, but I never worked with this stuff before. My second boat will be better. However I can say with a little bit of pride, That sucker is not going to leak, and I put that as Job 1. I will sand the pirogue down lightly, and give it a couple coats of paint, and then the crappie will start to head for the shallows, and I plan for the boat and I to be there , waiting.
Got to get to bed now, Trout season opens in the morning in my part of the world, and 5:00am comes quickly for ole guys.
Tom

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
One fish .... A Bunch of names for it...........Here in Florida we just call them Specks unless you are a Yankee and they call the crappies.

Legions of anglers call crappies Public Panfish No. 1, but this certainly isn't the only moniker attached to the species. Other colorful nicknames abound.

Throughout the south, the name is pronounced just as it is spelled. But north of the Mason-Dixon line, the name is pronounced "croppie."

In various locales, they also are referred to as specks, papermouths, silversides, bachelor perch, speckled perch, chinquapin, and lamplighters.

Still other regional names include strawberry bass, calico bass, white perch, banlicks, tinmouths, and sac-a-lait (Cajun-French for "bag of milk," in reference to their succulent white flesh).

Chuck

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
Throughout the south, the name is pronounced just as it is spelled. But north of the Mason-Dixon line, the name is pronounced "croppie."
Jeez Chuck,

It seems ta me the land formerly known az the sunshine state aint a southern state no more. Ya got this one bass ackwards too, jest like callin' a pirogue a "pee rewe". Next thing yer gwine ta tell Mick that in the south "pecan" rhymes with "can". :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge
bodine college

A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good. Steven Wright

Waliczek

Jan 31, 2007
Kansas City, Kansas
Well Mick, Chuck pretty much covered it all. As soon as the water temp gets close to 60 degrees, the crappie(crop ee) begin the spawn. To some of us, its the best tasting fish in the world.
Take

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
glassing the bottom

CHUCK I CALL EM WHITE PERCH. MICK WOULD LOOK GOOD HOLDING ONE UP WOULDN,T HE. LOOKS LIKE THAT LITTLE OL FISH HE,S HOLDING UP SORTA DRIED OUT AINT HE. COURSE I GUESS THEM AUSSIE,S DON,T KNOW WHAT A GOOD FISH TASTE LIKE THOUGHT. :lol: (catfish)

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Glassing the inside

Evening All,

Well I have started on the inside now. There has been a delay while I decided how I was going to tackle the inner gunnels and breasthooks. Now they have been made and dry-fitted, I have taken them back out to glass the inside.

What a pig of a job that was. I did the aft quater tonight. That was all my nerves could stand. I think Mick had a good point about the temperature of the resin. I stood the tanks of unmixed resin and hardner in a plastic storage box full of hot water for an hour before starting. This seemed to wet out more easily as it was a much lower viscosity than last time. Same close-weave fabric but it worked better.

The inside of the end of a pirogue is a fairly simple shape but getting the frayed ends of th cloth to behave where it was cut to overlap was a nightmare and I ended up smoothing with gloved hands to sweep small bubbles out (I found that stabbing the really stubbon ones with a knife helped!).

The middle two quarters shoud be easier as the taper is much more gentle. I guess I will do one tomorrow. I cant wait to finish now...

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
Steve,

I'm reading this post in preparation for beginning to lay cloth on the outside of my pirogue. So come on, where are the pictures? Let's have a looksee!

VTFogg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I epoxy saturate the bottom , let it set up overnight , give it a light (Hand ) sanding and then lay on the cloth. Then trim the cloth so there is about 3 inches hanging past each side. Then when it is wet in , I trim the ends so there is some left.
( I start in the middle of the boat and work towards the ends of the boat ).

I use one piece and roll the epoxy on and into the cloth , then when it is about set , trim off the overhang. Trim the ends and then tape the ends since they are the areas where most of the wear and tear are.

The roller is a 4 inch one and the slip on rollers are 9 inches (for epoxy) , so I cut them in half and get two from one.

This the the Freedom ......... Just after the glass has been put on it.
freedom%20036.jpg

Go over to the JEM Watercraft web site on this link http://jemwatercraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1812
Harry Micks South Wind Build and look at page #3. ( About 1/2 way down ) Some good pictures and explanations.

Chuck.