Glue problem | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Glue problem

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Ifyou look back to the marsh pirogue thread, you'll see the chine is attached to the sides before bending and the top rails are attached after bending. BUT this was not a UJ pirogue. Having never built a UJ, I'd suggest following the plans or waiting until someone with more experience chimes in.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I attach the sides to the ends , then the ribs and after that the outside rail. Then the bottom and inside rail.

If anything I would attach the sides to the ends before doing the rail , it is plenty of fun ( by yourself) attaching that last side piece to the end piece without more resistance being there.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The inner and outer rails will be different lengths. It is further around the outside than it is the inside. Laying them up first would make it both unnecessarily difficult to bend, and more likely to separate.

It's the geometry of the situation.

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
Hello Everyone:

I got back from Atlanta yesterday and decided to spend the day(Sunday) wo*king on my piro. But, I have a small problem with the end ribs matching the curve of the sides. See photos. The angle of the rib doesn't match the sides curve. This angle is machined in by UJ and I assume since I cut a bit of the length, that is the reason it doesn't match. I assume I can just fill in the gap with some wood flour and resin mix and then clamp everything until the resin sets. And of course, everyone knows what happens when you assume!
So, is the flour and resin the right way to go?

By the way, while I was in Atlanta, I got my fill of grits, and I am healthier and happier because of it!!!!!

JC

IM001179.jpg

IM001178.jpg

IM001180.jpg

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
get your little block plane out and knock off the edge of the rib that's touching the side until the rib is flat.

if friend Keith posts an answer here, don't listen to him, he cuts his bevels with a hatchet :D

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
After the scarf joint episode....I'm beginning to think he slices cheese with a hatchet! :?

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
logs among other things,

These boats were the pickup trucks of the Atchafalaya Basin in the early 1900's before roads. If you couldn't put what you needed to move in the boat, you had to pull or push it where you wanted.

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
seedtick said:
logs among other things,

These boats were the pickup trucks of the Atchafalaya Basin in the early 1900's before roads. If you couldn't put what you needed to move in the boat, you had to pull or push it where you wanted.

very cool.... I just got a new education. :)

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
Thanks Keith & Seedtick for your suggestion on the block plane, but I ended up cutting the new angle on the table saw. I can operate that better than a plane. I inherited a whole storage shed full of woodworking tools and included in that was two table saws, a band saw, router and table, 2 table mounted jigsaws, bench sander plus a whole bunch of power hand tools. There is a wood lathe still in pieces that I will put together over the winter. Shoot, there are some attachments that I don't even know what they are for!

Anyway, the table saw worked great and I glued the ribs in along with the gunwales. See photo. Tomorrow, I am going to put the inside chines in and put the bottom on. That will be all I will have time for this week because on Wednesday, I am going to Birmingham AL and will not be back until Sat morning.

The good news is it's beginning to look like a piro and I am getting anxious to finish it and get it in the water. I wonder if I am catching this boat building disease!?

OK, now for a question, I thought about putting the bottom on in two pieces, instead of butt splicing on a workbench, why not butt splice right on the frame of the piro? I have an inside chine to help support the plywood and I was planning on tacking along both sides and then glassing the butt joint when it is in place on the bottom. I thought I saw somewhere in one of these threads where someone did it this way or at least, discussed it, but I can't find it. Any pitfalls to this idea? Pros or cons, anyone?

IM001184.jpg

JC

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I am not on dial up but only have a normal monitor so if the pictures can be keep at a reasonable size ( a 3x5 or 5x7 ) it would help tremendously.

When I was on dial up those oversize pictures are killers when downloading them. They take forever.

Thank you.

Chuck.

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
Chuck:

Sorry about that ! I didn't realize that it took so long to load. I have hi-speed wireless in my home and everything just pops up very fast on my laptops and desktops (I have 4 computers), so I just don't think about it.

It's kinda like turning the faucet on and you just assume the water will be there, ya know!. Or turning the key on your car and expecting it to always start.

JC

(Jim)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JC. I know what you are saying , when I went from dial up to high speed , it ruined all of the breaks I could take waiting for everything to download.
Unfortunetly we have a lot of members who are still on dial up and the larger pictures are a pain while you have to wait for them to load up.

If anything I would be willing that some of the guys , just skip them when that happens and that is not good because they miss out on some marvelous pictures.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Ole Sourdough,

This iz a high technikle post. Yer a computin' nerd, rite? So why caint ya'll go back 'n shrink a pichur after ya pull a geezer? Whew.....nuthin' funny bout that...no sir....like Ole Jack Webb....jest the facts. I aint near bout a high technikle computer fella like ya'll, but what if ya back away 'n squint? Naw......that didnt work. Mebbe some gris gris? :eek:

your high technikle, serius pal
bearridge

Chef: Why do all you guys sit on your helmets?
Soldier: So we don't get our balls blown off.