Gonna try to go Pro. Whaddaya Think? | SouthernPaddler.com

Gonna try to go Pro. Whaddaya Think?

Steve

Well, Guys,

Susie and me were setting back talking and she decided I should make a stab at starting a photography business. Specializing in B & W portraits (but no weddings. . . don't want to get caught up in that racket. . .) and Home decor B & W prints. . . We're even investigating the possibility of creating a website to show off some portfolios. . . I figure it's gonna take me some time to get it all up and running (so quitting the day job will be a long way off. . .dagnabbit) . . . The portrait side of it will be all location type with no studio work at all. . . I think folks feel a tad bit uncomfortable in a studio and it shows in the photos. . . So I figure I'll concentrate on taking where they feel MOST comfortable. . .at home or some place they like hanging out at. . .

The home decor stuff will be shots like these, I think. . . .

30360001.jpg

30370006.jpg

Whaddaya think? Might could work? Or, no?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Steve,

If this is a dream, I think you should test the waters. I don't want to rain on your parade, but I do have to relay some information that I hope you use as a caution.

A good friend of mine is a world renown photographer. His shots are in several museums, many art studios, etc. He has photographed many famous people. He is now out of the photography business, because people are no longer buying many photos, or paying professional photographers for photos. Everyone has a cell phone that can - and does - take pictures. Digital cameras are fairly inexpensive, and have many good, utilitarian features. IE: almost anyone can get into being a photographer.

While damned few have your eye for subject matter and composition, Doug found the public was satisfied enough with their home-grown photos, that they would no longer pay for professional ones.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, go ahead, but don't jump in with both feet. Dabble a toe, maybe two toes. Not a whole foot. And expect to break even.

Steve

Thanks, Guys. . .

Jack. You are right and I know of several photographers who have had the same problems. One of the reasons I suppose this is going to take me some time, so you're not raining on anyone's parade here my friend. The key, I believe, is to find a niche and fill it. And while digital does give the ability to people to take good photographs (one of many reasons not to shoot weddings) . . .

I can lay two black and white photographs of the same subject, one shot with digital and one shot on film, ask everyone I see which is the best print and over 90% of them will opt for the one shot on film. It's just a matter of filling that niche that everyone else is missing. . .

And in portraiture, there is a niche to be filled with the black and white. . . it just takes some time to make it happen. In fact, I've done a few jobs since I've been here and they keep calling back for more or are recommending me to friends. . . I get a couple of calls a months because of referrals. . . Like I said, though, it's going to take me some time, so it's a good thing I have a day job. . . and I don't expect to get rich at it. . . even though that would be nice :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Digital's are good for posting on here , for the really serous ones it is film for me. As one of my daughters told me ...... "O" My God ... Dad ..You still use the ones that need to be developed. :lol:

That is just me........But they do make some really good enlargements for my personal pleasure.

Chuck.

Jul 29, 2009
Rogers Arkansas
Just an idea thinking out of the box.....a photographic service that would catch that special moment in life....example...any of us paddlin a newly build on a special stretch of water....paddlin that special grankid.....building a new boat with a grankid .....priceless memories caught by a talented professional photographer recored for future boat building generations

leeh

Jul 24, 2009
Those are seriously nice artsy prints. What size are they in "reality"? What size negative are you working with? Can you get set up to process your own negatives and prints?

Good luck with the new business, and I think you're right to try to find a niche. The "easy way out" things like shooting weddings and baseball teams will grind you down, and you'll end up doing them digital.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Steve,

This is also a dream very similar to my own, only I don't have the skills yet. Your digital images that you post here are stunning in their composition and the throught that has gone into each shot.

I am learning a lot from these guys.

http://www.photographaustralia.com.au/f ... um.php?f=1

It is an Aussie based forum. The guys on it are unfiformly friendly and supportive and are very willing to offer constructive critiques of your images and hints on how each one might be improved. There is none of the B.S. one upmanship or put downs so prevalent in many other like forums. While I still have a very long way to go, these guys have taught me much. Have a look around in there, read some of the posts and most of all, get out there, take lots of images of the things you like.

You'll never never know - if you never never go.

good luck mate.

Here is one of mine from the other day that I like a bit, :D (hope ya don't mind mate.)

1770Canon106.jpg

I use Picassa 3 for my image editing because I am too technically challenged to learn photoshop. :oops:

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Steve,

Your pictures are wonderful. It is obvious that you have an eye for what to shoot and how to shoot it. The two that you posted just now are very striking.

I don't know how likely it is to make money at that game, but I do know that I like what I see.

George