Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I took a little paddle this afternoon
Caught a couple small bass
Photo045.jpg

Photo042.jpg

I was on a small creek feeding the river
Photo023.jpg

as I continued up the creek hit a log jam had to portage around it as I got out on the bank looked down there were hog tracks every where
Photo018.jpg

Photo012.jpg

I never saw them but could here them moving in woods behind me.
Was really a pretty trip
Photo023-1.jpg

I saw a big white heron but couldn't get a pic and the cottonwoods were dropping fuzz the carp were everywhere with mouths stuck out of water sucking it in.
Texas weather it started to rain so I paddled back and loaded up guess paddled about 6 miles. When I got on highway the rain stopped so drove out to lake unloaded took off again .
Well the storm blew back in had some fun surfing on the waves and was amazed at how well new yak did going into the wind and waves coming back It would have been a rough ride in the little Heritage but new yak just acted like it was smooth water.
Ron
PS sorry about quality of pics just had my cheap camera with me.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ron.

Good report mate :D and congratulations on your "First Blood" She is a boat now.

Re the Hogs, Sould like ya need to take a rifle too.

We got feral pigs here too but it is so bloody hard to get a firearm license, I just couldn't be bothered. Thinking about learning to bow hunt though. We often see/hear them in the bush beside our local lake and can sometimes paddle to within 20 yards or so (some times much closer) before they even realize we are there.

Some blokes chase em with real rough dogs - but that is a young mans caper.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks Dave,

That would be great. :D

i think I have mentioned it before but I have heard of a bloke on the Sunshine Coast who makes long bows from green (I think) iron bark wood.

W have got plenty of red and grrey ironbark growing here. :twisted:

Any time ya like, c'mon down. Ya can take the Southwind for a walk. I reckon one would be ideal up your way.

dawallace45

Mick

yeah , I've made a few from Iron bark too , they are selfbows [ made from one piece of timber ] I've made the flatbow style [ a little wider than a longbow ] I mainly shoot a compound but want to get back into recurves and longbows , I fully intend to learn how to make my own long bow some time next year

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Could be a joint project? :D

Would love to get back up to Middle Percy Island and knock a few goats too.

There are millions of em on that island. Could bring back a freezer full of mutton after a days hunting there.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bowhunting
Bows are my number one vice.
To give you a little background I shot for a couple company's for about ten years in 3d archery tournaments.
The hogs are not a problem I have killed well over a hundred with a bow The bow is better hunting tool than most folks think. I have taken deer, turkey,hogs, javalinas, coyotes bobcats and bowfishing fish over 200 lbs
So to say the least I am well hooked on archery.
Mick I have built a self bow ,long bow, recurve out of Osage orange a tree similar to iron wood and out of elm pecan and oak they all shoot well.
A couple years ago I built a mulberry self bow (my favorite wood) built a doweling jig turned my own shafts out of ash and made flint heads for a javelina hunt here in Texas.
Even owned a archery pro shop but got out of it when figured out it was making work of one of my pleasures
Dam I wish I could come down go to that island with you.
Ron
PS I have a 60 lb pse take down a glove and arrows that are going to start going with me in the yak

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
tx river rat said:
Dam I wish I could come down go to that island with you.
Friend Ron,

After we git a bigger sailboat, yer welcome ta join the Sailin' Geezer Yacht Club. We aim ta take the downunder boys a hunerd pounds of yellow grits 'n 10-12 quarts of Zatarains. Whilst there we aim ta paddle....but not with no sharks. The High Sheriff will no doubt go after all the women he sees along the bank......pullin' that ole "help, I turnt bottom upwards 'n caint git up" trick. I hope it will be okay fer us ta tote guns while we are there. I heard a kangaroo kin be purty dang ornery if it comes home with lovin' on its mind? I also heard they got beer down there that iz even better'n Fosters!!!! :lol: :lol:

I bet Mac's parole officer will let him leave the U.S. if he swears he wont ever come back. A sailboat dont go thru no homeland secure boys anyway....rite? We jest shove off frum Harry's, head east fer a while, then more ta the south? I reckon we need a sea map, tide charts 'n a spyglass. I seen some parrots fer sale at the flea market in Memphis. They cost more'n ya mite figger.

If we swash 'n buckle long enuff, I reckon we oughta hit land where folks talk English 'er Southern 'n dont eat other folks fer supper. :wink:

regards
bearridge
sailin' geezer yacht club

ps Jack, I reckon we gotta have a satellite beamer jest in case we run inta a disaster. Kin ya program it so the rescue boys will come a runnin' with sippin' whiskey 'n branch water? I reckon that will cost extra? :cry:

English gentleman visiting Texas: Pardon me, but could you perhaps tell me where I might locate your master?
Cowboy: That sumbitch aint been born yet.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
SAR types drink only beer or Scotch. You don't want their branch water. If'n ya have Chuckie reading tidal charts and slinging the lead line for twain readings, best plot a course in reverse. He'll have tide waters carrying you guys into the Mediterranean - or Arctic Ocean.

Take along a copy of Kon Tiki, Ra Adventures, both by Thor Heyerdahl. Also, Eddie Rickenbacker's "40 days at Sea" may have some good guidance.

A few solar stills for making drinking water, not whiskey. Some naive native gals in case the TV reception gets weak in mid-ocean.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Kayak Jack said:
Yes, and strawberry sundaes too. Jimmie knew him.

Eddie Rickenbacker was born in a log cabin that he built himself.

Hell Yeah....I not only knew him, we're related. His mother and my mother hung clothes out to dry under the same sun. I invented strawberry sundaes thank you very much. We had a dairy farm next to the Dolittle strawberry farm....it was just bound to happen.

I straightened out every nail for the Dolittle barn. They tried raising sheep......didn't work out.....Jack lived too close. :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat.

I have hunted with rifle , shotgun , pistol and gave them up for a bow and arrow.

My best hunting was with a bow , it provided a lot more challenge then with a fire arm and was a ton more fun. I have gotten deer , pigs , tree rats , quail ,bob cats , Turkeys , Texas Turtles (armadillos) and plenty of fish , sting rays and other aquatic critters.
A leopard ray , when you get one skin the wings and punch out the meat with a small circular punch about an inch across. Today a lot of the scallops you purchase is just that.

I don't know if I should say this but Dapper Al (Mitchstrip on the forum) worked for Bear archery and his job was testing the new equipment in the field , can you say hunting with it all over this world. I would not call that a job.
So he retired to build stripper canoes to paddle and camp with this group of misfits , when he is not bow hunting with his son.

We have a lot of interesting folks on here and some of the tales they tell around a campfire are a true pleasure to hear and be a small part of if just for that evening. :D

Chuck.
PS. Did I ever tell you we have more fun then anyone.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
I started fooling with a bow in 70 right after got back from Nam Fred was still in Grayling then and was just making stick bows . so I saw the compound craze start now its gone full circle a lot are going back to the sticks.
Last year I went to Bass Pro Shop in Springfield and went thru the bear museum to me it was like walking into a shrine saw a lot of the old bows that I remember coming out lot of old broadheads that were wild . I think what was neat about Fred was back then it was a sport now it is all gizmo's
and pr Most of the adds you see are advertising something that was tried in the 70 and 80s were junk then and still are. well I'll get of my soap box
The false advertising was one reason I closed my bow shop.
Ron

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
bearridge said:
After we git a bigger sailboat, yer welcome ta join the Sailin' Geezer Yacht Club. We aim ta take the downunder boys a hunerd pounds of yellow grits 'n 10-12 quarts of Zatarains.

I wanna go.
I have a April 2006 tide chart for Cedar Key and can point to the horizon in any direction and yell "head thad away!"

DM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
At the Sheriffs Office there was a good friend of mine who was a X Navy Seal ... he made the long bows out of citrus wood , by hand , and they did deliver the goods. Right down the track..............>>>>----------->
His bows were a work of art and something anyone would want...... I will leave the story there. :lol: NO, I am not telling all of the things I have done and enjoyed in my life , Just trust me those bows are some dam good ones and as Paul Harvey said ....with a twist .... Ya ......don't need to know the rest of the story.

Chuck.