Good afternoon | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Good afternoon

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
NO, I am not telling all of the things I have done and enjoyed in my life , Just trust me those bows are some dam good ones and as Paul Harvey said ....with a twist .... Ya ......don't need to know the rest of the story.
Ya mean ya wuz up on the grassy knoll? :eek:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
bearridge said:
oldsparkey said:
NO, I am not telling all of the things I have done and enjoyed in my life , Just trust me those bows are some dam good ones and as Paul Harvey said ....with a twist .... Ya ......don't need to know the rest of the story.
Ya mean ya wuz up on the grassy knoll? :eek:

Try again bear...........

Ya wuz in the outhouse out behind the grassy knoll?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Someone explain to me what Bear is rambling on about . it just does not compute with me. No Sir ... Hit sure doesn't ... My guess is he has been sampling some of his brothers 300 proof beer or putting a hurting on oldyakers wine. Or is that Whine ?

I am off to the store for a six pack so I can understand things on here. Us non Lawyers have trouble understanding what the upper eduicated folks in our society are saying or thinking. Jezeeeeee , sometimes I am sure they don't even know. :oops:

Now the ball is in your court ... Bear. . :lol:

Chuck

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Ya tole us yer bow skill made fer some good times that ya caint tell us bout. Caint tell us the "Rest of the Story". So I figgered ya helped kill George Armstrong Custard up on the Little Big Horn. Ya musta been up on a grassy knoll....with Cochise?

dawallace45

Could be a joint project?
Mick , sounds good to me , I bought a copy of " The Design and Construction of Composite Long (Flat) Bows " from Ausbow industries several months ago , will have to dig it out , also have a copy of " The Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol. 1 " I could lend you , I do intend to get Vol. 2 & 3 as well but there are other books I need more at the moment , I also have some other stuff on bowmaking as well , seems that many epoxies aren't really suitable for making bows but I talked to Boatcraft and they said that their Bote-cote epoxy is more flexible than most and should be very suitable for the laminations in a bow , pretty much all the bits and pieces needed for making a bow can be bought from Ausbow http://www.ausbow.com.au/bowmaking.html , there are also several forums dealing with bow making available , here is a Australian one that is quite good , I'm a member , http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=3 the site administrator is a guy by the name of Jeff Challacombe from Maryborough , just down the road from you , the forum deals with all sorts of trad tackle and there are a number of build-a-longs with pictures , both of laminated bows and selfbows ,

While I like selfbows I have to admit they rarely shoot quite as well as a laminated bow and tend to be harder for a novice to learn with , but in the hands of a experienced archery the will deliver the goods , one thing I did notice with mine was they didn't travel well , when I used to bring them down from Clermont where the humidity was about 3% most of the time down to the coast where it was 85% they wouldn't shoot worth a dam for a while , I don't have any self bows any more , I gave some away and the other ones I lent to friends who claimed them and were reluctant to give them back , I have one that I'm part way through making but as I've been part way through making it for two years and the limbs twisted when I bought it down from Clermont I'm not sure I'll ever finish it .

I've been thinking of buying a take-down recurve for some time , always figured them to be a great idea for a kayak hunt , actually hunting from the water was the reason I got back into kayaks and canoes , I prefer to hunt with recurves rather than compounds and figure to sell my compound some time in the future and just shoot recurves and longbow but I'm in no hurry , I think I'll look for some thing about 62 " long and 50# to 55# , some thing like that would suit Mick as well as he's reasonably tall

Mick
If you ever want to go hunting with rifles some time just let me know , I have enough to lend you one for the trip and as long as I'm with you then it's legal under Qld law , what's your preference , 303 , 30/06 , 45 colt , 6.5x55 or 35/303 ?

Bow fishing is a great way to kill a afternoon , especially on those windy days when the fish in the creeks aren't biting and just seem to congregate in sections of the creek and won't take a bait or lure

I seem to remember about a goat cull on Middle Percy Island last year about this time , heard they intended to kill 90% of them off , I also heard there is some sort of legal challenge going on about the ownership of the island and that also the National Parks and wildlife are waiting in the wings and want to take back the lease and get rid of the goats completely and all the introduced fruit trees and turn the place back to original , but knowing them if they do get their hands on the place the first thing they will do is kill off all the goats and rip out the fruit trees and any coconut palms and tear down the buildings but as far as restoring it to original they seem to be a little slower with that and in the mean time there will be a lot of erosion and loss of top soil

Ron
What model PSE takedown you got ?

Hell this list seems chock full of archers , amazing what falls out when you shake the tree

David

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Dawallace
I will have to look on the name of the take down it 62 inches and 60lbs at 28 inch draw I have 31 inch draw so its pulling nearly 70 lbs. If your draw length on your compound is thirty inches are more you want believe how much better a 64 inch bow will pull than a 62 takes the stack out of it.
A company you should look at is Bingham archery they have plans parts and tell you how to build the molds been in business for years there main business is selling parts for homebuilt bows.laminates riser blocks wood cores epoxy they have it all.
This next week I am going to take a recurve and rig me some fish arrows with jugs and try the bowfishing out of the yak will have to shoot the bow flat might be interesting
Ron

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey you guys you done wandered all over the page. Don,t you geezers know there is a hunting post. Well we,ll blame it on Mick this time I think he wandered first. :lol:

T rat from what I gather man sounds like you like to hunt as good as me & my son. I havent every killed anything with a bow. I had a bow one time , was having some back trouble@ time & sold it .

My son has a cross bow, he killed his first deer last year. I,m getting back into it some & used his some but didn,t see anything . Hopefully I can get one this year. I believe it is like some of you vetrins bow hunters say it is like canoeing . Just something different about it .

T rat sounds like Mick needs us to come over for a while. I believe we could help him thin out his goat & hog population alittle. :wink: :)

Oh yea where was I oh Rat nice looking fish , you throwed them in the pan yet. Rat you aint just now figured out that Jack isn,t right . :?

dawallace45

Ron

Yeah I actually prefer a 64" or longer recurve and used to shoot 70" and 72" longbows but the 62" recurves are a little easier to find here so it's all a compromise , I shot very well for quite a number of years with a 55# recurve 58" long , I used to be 6'2" and had a draw length of 31" and that bow stacked like a bastard and the finger pinch made a smooth release difficult , think I was drawing 65" from memory , that was about 25 years ago but over the years gravity has taken over and I'm now 6'1" and draw about 29" , I've had several shoulder injuries so a bow about 50# to 55# suits me fine , I used to shoot my compound at 70# but it's just too much for me now , the shoulder just gives up the ghost so I backed it off to 55#

One thing you may be able to help me with is what would be better for a kayak takedown , laminated limbs and riser or Aluminium alloy riser and compression moulded fibreglass limbs , not sure how the laminated limbs will go sitting in the sun in the kayak all day or even in the storage compartment of the kayak on a hot day , I had a takedown years ago that suffered irreversible limb twist just sitting in the boot of my car on a very hot day and the car was in the shade . So any ideas ?

Yep , know about Binghamprojects , always wanted to take a look at the their instructional DVD .

David

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
David
A laminated limb isn't as tough that's for sure but in my yak it will be taken apart until I am using it are fixing to. I have never had a limb delaminate when it was unstrung and we hunt in hot weather here in Texas a lot of the time bowfishing is done in 100dgree plus and I have never had a problem.
I might get in trouble for this so will try to word it right had a friend ask me why folks get into bowhunting just put there guns up and just bow hunt.
Told him it was like s-e-x with a prophylactic on or off same deal but a lot different sensation
Ron

dawallace45

Ron

I've never had one delaminate either but I've had one takedown suffer limb twist and one 1piece bow suffer limb twist both while un-strung , the take down in the boot of the car and the one piece in the back seat , that one was in the sun and it did get pretty hot in there that weekend , the one piece did come a little better with work but was never completely right but it still shot well enough and you had to look hard to see the twist , the takedown was a bear and I was able to get new limbs for it , was never able to fix the twist in the old limbs , a mate had a high end Yamaha bow takedown that took on a twist just from sitting on a table in a very hot room for a week [ western exposure in the middle of summer ] but on the other hand I had a 45# bear takedown with fibreglass limbs that I used for bow fishing for years and years and it just sat on the seat of the boat all day in the sun and it often got so hot that I couldn't hold the alloy riser and had to dip the whole thing in the water to cool it off and it never suffered any problem except that the plastic limb tips kept falling off or breaking and I had to keep replacing them ,

I'll never give up shooting and hunting with firearms , I love guns , don't really see much difference between hunting with rifle or bow , it's been many years since I've taken a shot over 100 metres with a rifle and 95% of the game I've taken over the last 20 years have been under 50 metres , but that said I prefer to use my bow in thicker wooded country and the places I hunt with a rifle tend to be a little more open , that's probably why I prefer a recurve over a compound for hunting as most of the places I've hunted with a bow the pigs would be breaking cover almost at your feet and the name of the game was snap shooting , can't snap shoot worth a dam with my compound

David