Got paddlin'???? | SouthernPaddler.com

Got paddlin'????

A

Anonymous

Folks,

I reckon spring haz busted out dang near everwhere cept up on the tundra, so where iz all the trip reports? I seen Wayne went rowin'.....'n plum fergot hiz report. :wink:

A day trip report iz fine.

Somebody gotta be doin' some paddlin' in all this sunshine.....rite?

a curious,

bearridge

P.S. Speakin' bout trips, ya'll seen the new show on the tv where this big barefooted pigtailed wearin' fella with a nose ring takes four city folks out in the woods 'n tells 'em how they iz lost fer sho. Then the city folks git testy cuz they caint sleep good 'n plum fergot ta bring any useful stuff along. [He musta tole 'em they wuz gwine on a trip ta the shoppin' center.]

The pigtailed fella always finds a big can so the city folk kin boil water, but they still scairt.

I reckon its so city folk will learn ta stay in the city.....which would likely be purty good fer the woods. :wink:

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
I saw something late last night

I saw something late last night. They were in Arizona, hiking down a ravine in pouring rain. A flash flood came thru and the "guide' had to tell them to move to higher ground.

It was hilarious after 3-4 days in the desert one fellow (who thought he could still "hike out") was definetely losing his cool trying to signal a jet flying at 30,000 feet by shaking a bent pop can, waving his arms and screaming.

The irony is those are the people that will vote you off of "Survivor" while they cuddle in the lean to that you built!

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
I saw the comment in a different thread about the nice row boat I had and was puzzled. While my FL14 can be rowed, it is more of a power boat. Now this about me rowing. Finally, it dawned on me! You are talking about the picture Rick posted. That was last October and it was Rick's boat. Not much of a trip... I was just trying it out. It is a great row boat. Very fast.

A

Anonymous

Friend Wayne,

I reckon yer rite. I wonder bout yer rowin' boat. What kinda trips do ya take? What rivers? Lakes? Iz it jest fer keepin' fit? Fishin'?

Most a my grown up life when I seen a Colorado River show comin' on the tv, I wuz watchin'. I seen James Taylor 'n hiz boy, plain tourists, geology fellas, history fellas, the Paul Winter Consort (that wuz interestin'), but my favorites wuz two shows bout ole geezers.....one wuz a ole man 'n the other wuz bout a ole woman....both paddlin' a big rowin' boat....solo. They wuz old enuff ta paddle with the High Sheriff. :wink:

I took a oath ta quit pesterin' folks bout the Colorado, but ever now 'n then I slide off the wagon. [It warnt a sacred blood oath noway.]

When I went ta readin' bout Buzz Holstrom, I had a hard time with the parts tellin' how him 'n hiz Dad used ta make their own boats 'n how he built hiz own rowin' boats fer the Grand Canyon. It wuz a heap a pages tellin' bout wood 'n tools 'n such.....it wuz science fiction ta me.

I figger catchin' a eddy on the Colorado kin git hard at times. Its hard ta see how Buzz done it in a rowin' boat.

Well, thats enuff pesterin' fer a while.

regards,

bearridge

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
Bear: I don't row! At least not much. Perhaps Rick can chime in with why he wanted a row boat. I have to say though there is a BIG difference between rowing a boat not optimized for rowing versus a pure designed-for-rowing row boat. Rick's boat was quite pleasurable to row. I rowed it on a lake.

A

Anonymous

Friend Rick,

Reckon ya kin tell what ya do with yer rowin' boat? Reckon ya kin put it on the Cahaba? Way I see it bein' on a lake would be like a wet hell (kinda like Ole Dante wrote about)......jet skis, Evinrudes 'n such. :cry: :cry:

regards,

bearridge

P.S. We never had a tale bout a trip in a rowin' boat.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Cold Water

Brotha Bear, We have had a few day's in the 70's but the water is still ice cold. Have already seen a few reports of paddlers getting launched from a boat and expiring in the cold water from exposure. When I was a little younger I would don a farmer John type paddl'n suit but I don't do that anymore, kinda look like the Michelin tire guy with that suit on since my body changed from my younger days. I guess I'm a fair weather paddler in my second half century now. I hate to read about paddlers going out and leaving the planet expiring in the cold water. Guess 'ol yak will wait until the water temp is up a little. The shuttle on my favorite local river starts in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping it warms up. Yesterday was in the 60's, this morning I wake up to a light coating of snow and it may get up to 40, very windy too. Have to move further South when retirement comes so yak can paddle more during the year. Think I'll have to drive down and take that St. Marys trip next year to shorten up winter for myself. Regards, Warm Water Yak.

A

Anonymous

Friend oldyaker,

I figgered it wuz a mite cold fer a paddle trip up yer way, but its a heap a folks down this way who had some nice weather lately. I wuz jest wonderin' if anybody else had wet a paddle lately.

I know what ya mean bout the wet suit. :wink:

Thanks ta Pirogue showin' me how ta put some pichurs on my very own web spot, ya likely seen me in my wetsuit paddlin' in the foamy water up near Miz Jean.

Ya know how I keep tellin' ya'll bout how I kin look up 'n see this kinda bird 'er that rite out the big windows Miz Bear had 'em build? Even tho it dont seem like folks here cares that much fer 'em, I put up a pichur showin' the windows. Thats the view frum rite here....settin' at the computin' machine.....well, it wuz back then. Since then Miz Bear built a brick patio 'n a path out back 'n a heap more. Ya kin see her Japalized fig tree where them baby screechin' owls wuz settin'....jest watchin' us watchin' the tv.

Oh yeah, I put up a pichur a Roscoe Brown frum Arkansaw. He wuz jest a little pardner when I took that one. [Dang camera wuz so smart it figgered I wanted it ta focus on a garden hose.] :? That bird bath he iz settin' in iz the one them Cedar Wax Wings pile in fer bathin'. I had ta add water 4-5 times yesterday.

http://community.webshots.com/user/bearridge

SYOTW (see ya on the water),

brier bear

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
OK!

Thanks for the pix brier bear! Mighty fine pix of a noble and confident geezer navigating the whitewater. Hope it warms up here soon!

A

Anonymous

Friend oldyaker,

Thanks fer them mitey nice words. In my own way I figger I'm doin' the same az Harry, Ray, Van, Al, Swampy, Mac, Kayak Jack 'n even the High Sheriff ('n a few more on here).....showin' young folks how geezers kin do a heap a stuff. :wink:

I aint the oldest geezer that runs them falls, but I dont figger its a heap older'n me. I know its some folks up on the overlook that sez "hey, look at that ole guy.....this oughta be good". Sometimes they leave with a chuckle.......wonderin' if I broke out like the Chief done when he chunked that sink thru the window. :mrgreen:

Disclaimin' Time: Geezers beware! The ole guy in them pichurs iz a high trained Bull Goose Looney. :roll:

regards,

bearridge

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Bro Bar that waz sum mighty fine rapid shootin thar!
I recon I haz got to inflate me sum ballons and shoot the nathahalia wit ya... Sail and shootin rapids iz mah next adventure fer sure!
Got a white water canoe... now need a sailin skif.... swampy