Gotta question from a nooby builder | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Gotta question from a nooby builder

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
Well I have to agree with Chuck and Mick on this
I have built boats from Laun from home depot ,and Lowes, I cant tell the difference

I have built one from luan that is about 7 years old. The boat is stored outside and is fine. I was not trying to say that it would not hold up with a bit of luck in quality control but that boat was built from exterior luan. Building one now from the same kind of plywood. My concern was about using interior plywood where the glue is or at least can be water soluble.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
This article seems to be pointed mainly at power boat, and He seems to disagree with the composite theroy ,

Thus sheathings should be considered as basically cosmetic coverings; their intent is NOT to add strength. In fact, plywood is far stiffer than fiberglass. Hull strength comes from the plywood hull structure itself, and with proper design and construction, should prove more than adequate.

Boy now I dont agree with this at all.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
One factor no one has taken into consideration and that is how well the boat was made and how it is treated or mistreated.

One put together properly will last longer then one just slapped (hit and miss ) together. Plus one used in white water and abused or bruised would not last as long as a quiet water boat where it is taken care of. Talking about wood boats not the Tupperware jobs.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
The information I am getting from the plywood suppliers I use is that pretty much all ply made now is laminated using superior glues to what was once used even a couple of years ago.

I don't know the truth of this but about the only think I do to my boats to protect them is store them in out of the weather. oh yeah, I give them a lick of varnish every couple of years or that is the plan anyway.

The truth is I am not too concerned about the unlikely even of a ply panel eventually failing. It is only wood and can be cut out and replaced if necessary. - or it will give me an excuse (like I need one anyway) :p to build yet ANOTHER one of Matt's magnificent designs.

I guess, if one was panning on only building one boat ever, it would be a good idea to use the best ply available but who here fits into that category anyway. We build them for the joy of the build. 8)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
I guess, if one was panning on only building one boat ever, it would be a good idea to use the best ply available but who here fits into that category anyway. We build them for the joy of the build. 8)

If you are going only to build one and call it quits then get a kit from the designer for safety sake. No measuring , no guessing , just putting it together.

If you plan on building one to see if you can build it then experiment with the less costly wood , this way a mistake will not bankrupt you. I have made plenty of boats and sure as heck , the build before last I measured wrong and one sheet of wood became scrap , anyway the pieces I cut out which was that whole sheet.
Got three more at $9.95 a sheet in case I screwed up again and I still have two left over. Those two would build a/one pirogue from Uncle Johns. Lot better then the high priced stuff in the 4 digit price range per sheet. :evil:

All I can say is that the ones I have made from the $9.95 a sheet wood paddle just as well as the ones built with the $85.00 a sheet wood. Those poor boats don't know the difference. As Mick said... It is only wood.

Unlike a lot of you with money to burn , I like to make every penny count , a penny saved is a cold beer for me later and don't forget to recycle the empty can. :roll:

Chuck.

JEM

keith said:
if, if, if, epoxy can't fight "U V", so if they didn't paint or varnish, the epoxy would fail and then the plywood would fail. save a dime today and spend two dimes next time. later keith

The epoxy would cloud and slowly start to flake over the years. It would take quite some time for it to fail if properly applied in multi coats. Just like paint.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Do I get a prize for stirring up all this conversation?

Got the first coat of Kilz on the bottom yesterday. Plan to be in the water next weekend, provided we get a little global warming here in GA and my wife will let me out of the house.

gbinga

JEM

keith said:
matt used that " if " word. if everybody knew how to do it, they wouldn't need any help or opinion. later keith

Well I wanted to be sure folks knew that they still need to use epoxy as prescribed. One thin coat won't do it.

But even with one thin coat of unvarnished or unpainted epoxy, it's not like the boat will explode suddenly into a thousand splinters at one point. It will degrade slowly like a porch whose paint is slowly wearing down.

For longer lasting wooden hulls, epoxy is always the winner long term. But you still have to care of the boat.