I built this boat for my grandson:
IMG_1218-1.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

Gave it to him the morning of the Rendezvous.
For me?:
IMG_1368.jpg

First paddle:
IMG_1375.jpg

Sister records the event:
IMG_1376.jpg

Paw Paw gets a thank you hug:
IMG_1373.jpg

No better reason to build one! Thanks to all who post on here, for all the information and inspiration. And as usual a special thanks to seedtick and Keith for their knowledge and tutoring.

beekeeper

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

Last edited:

lil'moe

Jan 8, 2009
Lapland, IA
A fine looking craft-and a great payment to PawPaw. Sometimes it just can't grt any better than this. Hope you both have a ball with this-its a lot more than just a boat! Well done PawPaw.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
oldsparkey said:
That is one good looking boat and the smile on his face say's it all. Looks like he will have to grow a little more to fit in the boat. :D

Chuck.

Chuck
We hope to try it for fit soon. It was made to nest inside his dad's boat, if I remembered the dimensions correctly. Kids grow fast and adapt. I could have made a smaller one but, I wanted it stable and not become too small any time soon. With a seat and a double paddle he should be OK. The outside chines reduced the floor and beam by almost two inches. That should help.

greybeard and TopWaterboy thanks for the compliments. You too, seedtick. I just hope your not telling me no more classes. :wink: If I can find a pencil, I will bring my new note book the next time and you want have to repeat so much. :lol:

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was about his age , or in that area , when my Dad taught me how to paddle a Old Town Wood and Canvas Canoe. Man it was fun and to make it better , I would take Dad fishing and paddle the canoe while he fished. It let him have fun and sharpened my paddling skills.
Later in life we would go fishing or duck hunting and Dad had the bow seat while I was the motor in the back , some great memories.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
The boat looks even better close up--great work. Ask anyone who saw it at the Rendezvous. I am available for adoption if you want to build another. :mrgreen:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Mr. Kayak and Mr Buddy

Y'all' offer to become related to me is a great compliment to the boat. Most folks won't admit to even knowing me. :lol:
"I know", You didn't say you would tell any one else. :lol:

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Delivered the boat 4/29/10. As we were putting it in the storage building an idea was revealed. Swimming pool, water, "hm" see if it will float. Developed into a fun time and a maiden voyage of sorts.

It floats: :D
IMG_1401.jpg

Grandson takes it on its first "trip": :roll:
IMG_1408.jpg

Reentry:
IMG_1432.jpg

Room, and stable enough for two:
IMG_1415.jpg

Sister goes solo:
IMG_1425.jpg

First fish:
IMG_1435.jpg

Don't try this at home: :wink:
IMG_1459.jpg

Looking forward to a real trip. Guess who wants her own boat now? Guess what Paw Paw will be building next?

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Then:

Now:

How fast and how much they grow. :D Where does the time go? :(
Something to consider when building a boat for a child. What fits today will soon be too small.

beekeeper