1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

Greenland paddle

Discussion in 'Making your Own paddles' started by dawallace45, Feb 18, 2010.

1. dawallace45

dawallace45 Well-Known Member

I've been making my own Greenland style paddle for a while now but having some strips of cut off timber from other projects gave me the idea of making a laminated paddle so here it is , Radiata pine and Salle wattle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Come out heavier than the paddles I usually make from pine studs but still lighter than the ones you buy

David

2. oldsparkey

oldsparkey Well-Known Member

That is one good looking paddle and should be a pleasure to use.

Chuck.

3. dawallace45

Chuck thanks , if it ever stops raining I will get a chance to get down to 1770 and try it out and if it keeps raining I may get a chance to try it out down the back yard

David

4. Kayak Jack

Kayak Jack Well-Known Member

Pretty work, Dave. Lotsa folks really like that style of paddle

5. islandpiper

islandpiper Well-Known Member

David, do you realize it is closer to Mars from your house than it is to Greenland? In order for this paddle to work right you will need some ice in the water. piper

6. dawallace45

Piper

Have found it works just fine with out the ice , don't tend to get a lot of ice here in the tropics any way , was about 92*F and 100% humidity here yesterday

David

7. beekeeper

beekeeper Well-Known Member

Would this type paddle be a good choice for me? Fishing, short day trips, heavy load (mostly me), in a 13', 35" beam skiff. It looks nice and might be fun to build.

beekeeper

8. woodman

woodman Well-Known Member

Revive this post to say I have used nothing but my Greenland paddles all year..weather fishing or paddling 5 miles..they are light and keep up with the euro paddlers...

[​IMG]