Hairy and Robin's 2009 Holliday | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairy and Robin's 2009 Holliday

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Mz Robin and I have just embarked upon a little holliday. Sort of, a second honeymoon - again. :D With the current financial problems, we decided that rather than just co somewhere and stay for a few weeks, the plan is to do a series of road and paddling trips around our beloved South East Queensland. Explore the place properly and visit our own back yard, going to close places that we have allways wanted to but never bothered with, just because they were so handy. In the process, we hope to combine our several great passions, paddling, bushwalking and discovering some really nice, out of the way places.

South East Queensland encompasses the tourist meccas of our Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast with al the usual B.S. high rise, theme parks and other associated crap but there are still plenty of places that remain relatively un-developed and still retain their rustic, rural charm. They are rarely visited by the jet setting mob and are more geared towards what we like to do - getting away from the crowds. :D.

If anybody here is interested, we would like to share with you some images and stories of our little adventure as we explore what we think of as being The Goddesses Country.

We just got back from a couple of days in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland - Blackall Ranges and Mary River Valley (two of our favourite places :D ) We have had a genuine wet season here this year, for the first time in decades and the way the country has sprung back to life, after so long being dry and brown just takes my breath away every time I look.

There are a couple of shots of our Glass House Mountains, taken from Mary Cairncross Park looking south east at the southern end of the Blackall Ranges.

Mount Beerwah

0b2a83ee.jpg

Mount Coonowrin

3c5a53bf.jpg

The Glasshouse Mountains are of great historical, cultural and geological significance. Standing just north of Caboolture these weird rock formations are like sentinels. They were named by Captain James Cook during his epic voyage up the east coast of Australia in 1770. Geologically they are massive hunks of trachyte left behind after the overlying softer rock was worn away by the forces of nature. Their names - Beerwah, Tibrogargan, Coonowrin, Tunbubudla, Beerburrum, Ngungun, Tibberoowuccum and Coochin - reflect the Aboriginal culture surrounding the mountains

The legend of the Glasshouse Mountains in Aborigine told Dreamtime stories runs: Now Tibrogargan was the father of all the tribes and Beerwah was his wife, and they had many children.
Coonowrin, the eldest; the twins, Tunbubudla; Miketeebumulgrai; Elimbah whose shoulders were bent because she carried many cares; the little one called Round because she was so fat and small; and the one called Wild Horse since he always strayed away from the others to paddle out to sea. (Ngungun, Beerburrum and Coochin do not seem to be mentioned in the legend).

One day when Tibrogargan was gazing out to sea, he perceived a great rising of the waters. He knew then that there was to be a very great flood and he became worried for Beerwah, who had borne him many children and was again pregnant and would not be able to reach the safety of the mountains in the west without assistance.

So he called to his eldest son, Coonowrin, and told him of the flood which was coming and said, "Take your mother, Beerwah, to the safety of the mountains while I gather your brothers and sisters who are at play and I will bring them along."

When Tibrogargan looked back to see how Coonowrin was tending to his mother he was dismayed to see him running off alone. Now this was a spiritless thing for Coonowrin to do, and as he had shown himself to be a coward he was to be despised.

Tibrogargan became very angry and he picked up his nulla nulla and chased Coonowrin and cracked him over the head with a mighty blow with such force that it dislocated Coonowrin's neck, and he has never been able to straighten it since.

By and by, the floods subsided and, when the plains dried out the family was able to return to the place where they lived before. Then, when the other children saw Coonowrin they teased him and called "How did you get your wry neck - How did you get your wry neck?" and this made Coonowrin feel ashamed.

So Coonowrin went to Tibrogargan and asked for forgiveness, but the law of the tribe would not permit this. And he wept, for his son had disgraced him. Now the shame of this was very great and Tibrogargan's tears were many and, as they trickled down they formed a stream which wended its way to the sea.

So Coonowrin went then to his mother, Beerwah, but she also cried, and her tears became a stream and flowed away to the sea. Then, one by one, he went to his brothers and sisters, but they all cried at their brother's shame.

Then Tibrogargan called to Coonowrin and asked why he had deserted his mother and Coonowrin replied, "She is the biggest of us all and should be able to take care of herself." But Coonowrin did not know that his mother was again with child, which was the reason for her grossness. Then Tibrogargan put his son behind him and vowed he would never look at him again.

Even to this day Tibrogargan gazes far, far out to sea and never looks at Coonowrin. Coonowrin hangs his head in shame and cries, and his tears run off to the sea, and his mother, Beerwah, is still pregnant, for, you see, it takes many years to give birth to a mountain."

91715a7a.jpg

:D :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Coming home yesterday, we opted to travel the Mary River Valley rather than up the main highway. it is much more scenic and with much less traffic and has lots of little roadside places to stop and just relax. This is one such, on the banks of Little Yabba Creek near the small town on Kenilworth. This is pretty much, the headwaters of the Mary River.

99566a05.jpg

0c13d501.jpg

A real nice place to sit in the shade of some very big trees, have lunch and a cuppa. :D

012d0b6d.jpg

Little Yabba Creek

3571f408.jpg

canon081800x600.jpg

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Thank you for sharing this, Mick. You have a beautiful country.

Sherri has been there twice chaperoning school kids, and enjoyed every minute. I would love to see it some day.

George

Steve

Mick, my friend, 1st things 1st. . . hello to you and Miz Robin, I have missed your posts and yer wit, my friend. . .

2nd. . . I am pouting that I have never gotten to see what, from your pics, seems to be a wonderfully gorgeous landscape. All of your posts make me dream of visiting Australia. . . well, one day, I say,. . .one day . . .

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys and thanks for the interest.

As some of you know, Robin and I were hoping to come over these hollidays and meet and spend some time with as many of you guys as we could - in the time we had. But things have got in the way, it was not to be - this year.

This last trip was to spend some time with Robin's Mum on her 82nd birthday. She lives at the foot of the Blackall Ranges. We took her to dinnerat a nice italian resteraunt that night. Another first for me - a great meal in a real flash Italian place. The meal and the wine :D were brilliant.

As some of you also know, the Blackall ranges and the Mary Valley are very special places to me. The soil is fertile, volcanic and is the heartland and foodbowl of this part of our state. Luckily, most of the tourists drive straight past it in their ruch to get to the beaches and that suits me just fine.

The river there is very paddleable :D , thour Robin and i have never paddled in that area yet. We plan of rectifying that very soon. We are heading back down there in the morning for another couple of days of bushwalking a gorge in the very headwaters of the system. Another first for us. We are told to expect steep country, heavily laden with old growth Cedar, Hoop pine and Bunya pine - several waterfalls and some real nice photographic opportunities and some pretty flash accommodation into the bargain. :D

Another non-paddling trip this time, I am afraid, but if anybody is interested, I will post a trip blogg with piccies (of course :p ) on the places we go in the coming weeks with a little of the history - both European and Aboriginal, of each area we visit. Paddling trips will start shortly 8) , but for now, Robin and I are really feeling the need for some bush time.

Steve, Welcome back mate. If you can EVER see your way clear to come over this way, Please know that there is a room here for you and you are welcome to stay as long you like. Likewise to you George. :D

Off to bed now, a big day ahead. 8)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Jack,

Thanks for the interest mate. We just got back from another magical couple of days down there again and will post a detailed trip report in the next 26 hours or so. In the meantime, this was the purpose of this trip.

While there, we did the walk from Lake Baroon to Kondallia Falls. A great rainforest walk with some spectacular scenery along the way.

This is a great walk for those so inclined, but it can be heavy going in places with steep climbs and descents. All we spoke to reckon it can be done in about 3.5 hours (10.1klms) but if you are like us - and stop to take lots of photos, (and there are lots of worthy places to do this), plan on it taking all day and take food and very good boots. We drank water straight from the creek.

We took a bunch of images and a lot of them turned out to be pretty crap but we learnt some stuff along the way and we are kinda happy with some of them.

Here are a couple of my creek shots.

This is at the base of the waterfall below Lake Baroon

canon033.jpg

Random creek shots.

canon071.jpg

canon097.jpg

Steve

hairymick said:
. . . Please know that there is a room here for you and you are welcome to stay as long you like. Likewise to you George. :D

Off to bed now, a big day ahead. 8)

What with all the great photo ops I've already seen with your pics, Mick,. . .you may wanna reconsider that "stay as long as you like" statement. . . I'd be out with one of my "get under the blanket" cameras so much that 2, 3 years down the line Robin will be sitting there tapping her foot hard against the floor, lookin' at you and glaring angrily as she says something like: "You just had to tell him he could stay as long as he likes, now, didn't you?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't worry. . . wouldn't really do that to ya. . . Might thinnk it, but would not do it. . . :lol:

But, oh, how I'd love to just have even just ONE week there . . .