Hammock camping questions

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
I do a pretty good Navy bean.

Matt

Use some Northern, Pinto, Large Lima, Blackeye , Kidney, Navy, White Kidney, Small White.

Add a couple of Smoked Ham Hocks, a good size Onion (diced up) some Louisiana Hot Sauce and more Cajun spices if you like them , lots more for me.
Cook all day on a simmering heat. Pull the Ham Hocks out, remove the meat and put it back in the pot. Cook some Corn Bread and get ready for a good meal.

Freeze the left overs in a zip lock ....They are good when out camping , just thaw and reheat. Trying to keep this post with the camping theme. :lol: We never talk about food. :roll:

Chuck.

Johnny Swank

Mar 6, 2006
www.sourcetosea.net
Hammock

Just got back yesterday and haven't thought about updating the website yet, but just have to say that I'm firmly in the hammock cult now. That thing was awesome once I got the kinks worked out, and a godsend when trying to figure out where I was going to sleep for the night. Campsites are rarer then hen's teeth on the Cape Fear, and I ended up dragging the kayak up 10' slopes more than once just to find a place to sleep.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
Hammock camping only needs two trees even if there are roots and boulders between them. No flat, even ground, dry ground, large spaces or anything else that sleeping in a tent requires.
In fact, I sneak out in the woods to plant just those types of obstacle under Chuck's hammock while he is asleep. He must be surprised every morning when he falls out (literally, not militarily) of his hammock.

John, I'm pleased to hear you like them. I've been promoting them for about 5 years now. How did the under-hammock pad or quilt work out for you?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
oldsparkey said:
Hammock camping only needs two trees even if there are roots and boulders between them. No flat, even ground, dry ground, large spaces or anything else that sleeping in a tent requires.

John, I'm pleased to hear you like them. I've been promoting them for about 5 years now.

Have you promoted any of the hammocks up from private ,
114.gif
if not then you need to get with the program.
077.gif

Chuck.
I really enjoy picking on Jack....... What a pleasure :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I live to serve you, Chuckie. Tomorrow night I plan to serve you with potatoes and gravy.

Tuesday night ..... Folks...... Come one, come all.... ( for Mary's birthday celebration , it really is her birthday :D )

We are having a Chuck Roast for supper, grit fed and Juicy. Unlike the Rack of Jack last Tuesday night ........... stringy and tough. (several folks had to get there dentures repaired). :lol:

Chuck.
Ya turn ... Jack.

A short comment on what I did with mine was to take a Krill light and hang it by a small biner from the overhead line for soft light, that I could turn off when I wanted. Also, I took and made a small loop in the upper (head) end and attached a short stringer to my sleeping bag head. I have another small biner on the end of it that I can clip to the loop. This way, I can slide out of the hammock or back in, without my bag getting all bunched up. All I have to do is pull slack, lay right down, and zip up. No more of all that squirming around, trying to keep everything straight to get back in the way I was. Also nice to keep a P-bottle on another little biner. Yes, you can Pee right onto the ground as someone else mentioned, but then your whole area smells that way.

I was working on an under-net to store my gear off the ground, but haven't perfected it yet. For now, I just clip my pack up on the tree by your feet.

Oh yea, I also got tired of trying to figure which side was supposed to be the "top" side of the sil tarp when setting up in the dark, so I laid it all out and put a small piece of orage para cord at the "head" end of both the tarp and the hammock. Not necessary, but I like it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A couple of the other hammock makers have a storage area on the underside of there hammocks for clothing and/or shoes.

I was entertaining the idea of a small net to put the stuff in since I hate to wear anything but the skivvy's at night in the sleeping bag. So far they are placed in the waterproof bag I keep the hammock in during the day. Then propped up or hung from the tree.

I have a place (door ) mat in the boat where the seat is and at night it is placed under the opening to the hammock , I can dress or undress and stand on the mat to keep clean feet. It sure cuts down on the trash that otherwise would be drug into the bag and hammock. :D

A min-Mag Lite in the overhead mesh storage bag makes a good night light , just be careful of where you put it , sit up just wrong and you will hit it with your head. :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
The sleeping bag "getting into and out of" was the most difficult for me to solve. My solution is to sit in the opening and put my feet into the bag. Stand up and, (this is the most important part) get the hood of the bag up onto my head. Straighten up the bag around me, and zip it part way, then lay back into the hammock.

Getting up to pee, I keep the hood on my head to (1) keep the bag straight, and (2) to keep it out of an overspray zone.

I bought one of those mesh bags like you use in the washing machine for delicate clothes. Mine's about 18" X 28". I put dirty clothes in there so they can air and dry. I clip this to the guy line up under the fly out of the WX.

Great minds think alike!

I frequently use a stuff sack to stand/dress on, as I quickly discovered the sand/foot trash problem as well.

I also use a clothes line made up of 3 braided pieces of bungee cord. It is about 6ft. long with paracord on each end to tie off with. I can hang stuff out in the open, or bring it under the fly in bad weather. To use, you just poke a piece of material/whatever inside a braid and it stays put. Clothes, coffee cup, whatever.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The standard rain fly covers the hammock and that is about all.

I don't know if you have one but the Hex Fly is the cat's meow , it offers a lot more covered area at the ends and out each side from the hammock. Plus it can be used as a tarp to sit under and relax or cook a meal if it is raining.

Joe's hammock in fount with the standard fly , mine behind it with the Hex Fly.
trip%20028.jpg

A better picture of the Hex Rain Fly....
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2013.jpg

I did find that when using the Hex Fly I needed to upgrade to a larger stuff sack for the outfit , the one Tom furnishes with the hammock just does not cut it with the upgrade. Anyway I didn't have a hydraulic press with me to get everything in the original stuff sack. :lol:

Your clothes line is a slick modification of the old idea , the original one was some line twisted tied off between some trees then stuff a piece of clothing in between the lines and it held them.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I had my standard rain fly modified with a three foot addition on only one side. I also added triangles on the off side at the ends. These are right triangles 1' wide at the base and 2' high at the perpendicular. Hypotenuse is WTH ever it figures out. Sew the hypotenuse along the edge of the rain flay at the end. The corner of the triangle that then hangs down should be fastened with a light line or bungee.

If you do not add a large addition to a standard rain fly, then put four of these triangles on, two at each end. This keeps out sideways rain.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Lazyriverguy said:
Dear Jack sir

What the h$%##$#ll does that big word hyponus mean. Please remember the caliber of us po readers. cplian it please.
Joe

Jack likes to confuse us with those $100.00 words .. unlike the rest of us that just seek our normal level of fun loving guys like you did in your post on the One Man River.... Camping section.

I really liked this idea , have done it with a Kelty Tarp ... $60.00 from Campmor. At that time I had a cot under the center of it , was as happy as a bug in a rug. Those Kelty tarps are GREAT.

Dam Computers ........... "O" Well it did not want to copy over after I posted it. If anyone is interested then like I said .... The Camping Section.... Post is ... One Man River.
The whole trip is in plan language anyone can understand and the pictures are darn nice.

Chuck.