Hammock camping questions | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Hammock camping questions

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Sorry 'bout that! It's the longest side of a right triangle. Hypotenuse is the side opposite the right angle.

A right triangle has one 90 degree angle in it; the other two corner angles will total 90 degrees. The three angles included in every triangle (with all three corners in the same plane), will total 180 degrees.

Pythagoras wrote about it, the shouted "Eureka!"

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Help Chuck
Jack is now talkin about planes. I don't know too much o that fancy stuff. But if you try to paddle a plane down this here river I think the gastopo will have one of those homy land sacurity problems.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Lazyriverguy said:
Help Chuck
Jack is now talkin about planes. I don't know too much o that fancy stuff. But if you try to paddle a plane down this here river I think the gastopo will have one of those homy land sacurity problems.

Hits just Jack , Ya have to remember he lives up nawth in something called the rock shed area , he has trouble when it comes to sand bars , grass , trees and or mud. Man "O" Boy ... the mud puts him in a panic , he sees gators and old Mr. no shoulders (snakes) everywhere.

I was told that when camping in the areas we like he hangs his hammock so high it takes a step ladder to get in it. No one ever told him the critters without legs ( snakes) can climb trees. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck
I'm in a world of chit now......... I did stay with the topic , camping and hammocks. :wink:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Lazyriverguy said:
my 8 yrs of schoolin

Joe, With all that edjumahcation, your way too overqualified to be on this forum. We're looking for more people with a 3rd grade edjumahcation or less to shovel all the crap out here that Jack spreads around! :roll:

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
oldyaker said:
Lazyriverguy said:
my 8 yrs of schoolin

Joe, With all that edjumahcation, your way too overqualified to be on this forum. We're looking for more people with a 3rd grade edjumahcation or less to shovel all the crap out here that Jack spreads around! :roll:

He gitted two much edjimication fer usn's (lest it wuz 3 yerz inna furst an' 3 yerz inna secant an he drooped owt inna thert grate afer his secant try.)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not to get off the subject but to go back to the hammock camping. :p

Kayak Jack and I have been having some back channel chatter about it , I asked a question and he had the answer... YEP , Jack had the answer.

Ya know how it is when you get in the hammock and the mattress is under you , sometimes it is just right , most of the time it isn't. In my case when using the 3/4 length ridge rest I am flopping around like a worm in a hot skillet trying to get it positioned under me just right , if not then about 3 in the morning I feel like I am sleeping on a Ice Berg.

The sleeping bag is compressed under my weight and there is no insulation there , the mattress has moved to one side of me or the other side ... More flopping around and heaven help me if I need to get out of there and water a thirsty tree. Well anyway when I get back in there. :lol:

Jack has two , side by side ridge rests taped together so he does not have that problem , a wide area to hit for some insulation and good sleeping when you get back in half asleep.

I am going to get a couple of the U.S.Army rejected foam sleeping pads they furnish our troops and do the same thing for an upcoming trip.
Only different thing I will do is to trim them on the diagonal. They will fit in the hammock where I sleep and the edges of them will be against the material on the bottom of the hammock and not pushing on the screening.

This will give a large area to hit getting back in the hammock , with less aggravation and some insulation under my sleeping bag. Should be no more of the worm , squiggling around in the frying pan to warm up , for me.

The plus side is if you are out camping with the hammock and need to set it up as a tent ( which it can be used for) then you have a double mattress under you. One item , double uses.

The parts I cut off can be taped together as a door mat or anything else they can be used for.

Going to try it ... Will let you know after the next trip on how it works which should be really good. Might say I am making a nest in my hammock like Kayak Jack has been doing , the sly ole fart. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. I am really sick an tired of the tent makers who say the tent is for three guy's and it is really only good for one. At lease the hammock is made for one with a lot of comfort and that you can take to the bank.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
One other thing. Once you get it cut and situated diagonally in the hammock, note the part that is above the entry slit. Cut it so you can punch down through both the mattress and the Velcro to exit. To prevent further ripping up the mattress, put a 6" piece of duct tape across the mattress at the end of that slit. Do this on both sides of the foam.

This mattress has many uses:
1. Mattress to sleep on in the hammock
2. Easy chair around camp, leaned up against a tree, log, or rock and doubled up under your bum.
3. Sleeping pad for a nap under a shade tree or in the sun, as your little heart desires.
4. Kneeling pad next to your boat for loading/unloading operations.
5. Floatation device in a boat when rolled up and tied in a bundle and secured in the boat (under a deck or under lashing across the gunnels).
6. Bath mat. Place it on a slight incline so bath & rinse water will drain off. With a small pan of warm, soapy water wash. Rinse from a larger pan of war water. You can get dressed on the mat without having to step off into dirt, sand, pine needles, etc. (It's probably a good idea to put your clean clothes UP hill from the mat before pouring water.)
7. Kneeling pad in the bottom of your boat in rougher waters. MUST be prepositioned there before you hit the rough water.
8. Sitting pad at lunch stops.
9. Sitting pad on seats of picnic tables.

Other than that, these things are practically useless.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The wife was suppose to return home today and I was going to go get the stuff (Pads) to put in the hammock and fit them the way I want them.

Darn, She called this morning and is staying another day ( Today) at her brothers. :D so why should I leave and go someplace .. Pups and I have this joint all to our own and we have been having a good time. :lol:

It is like being out camping , do what you want , have a good sleeping arraignment and to top it all off a hot water shower and a flushing privy. A no nothing arrangement , do what you want , cook what you want , sleep where you want (some enjoyable camping has been in front of the fire place right here at home when pups and I had the place to our own ) , just like camping. I love it till someone ( a four legged critter ) sticks his cold nose , a very wet and very COLD nose on me wanting to go out in the morning before I do. Heck even that is part of the fun.

Now when she comes home tomorrow then we will take out and I called Al at the Army -Navy store , he has the pads and is open at 11in the morning. So then we can have some traveling time when she gets home. :wink: Plus it will be in the 80's so the top will be down and we will be rolling along the highways enjoying the breeze and sunlight. One of us will have his tongue flapping in the 60 mph wind.... Not saying who.

The pads are $9.95 each which is a good deal ... on the web they are from $16.00 to $9.95 but with that you have to include ( add ) postage. Lot's more fun shopping around in a place with all the goodies , Lord only knows what I will walk out of there with. A kid in a candy store and like Bear , Pup's likes the MRE's , Dogs ... no taste buds , MRE'S .. Yuck...Dog Food. :roll:

I guess any he piddles on will be the ones he wants. :wink: Thinking about it ....... I just might leave him home , might save me a lot of cash.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Got the two sleeping pads today. A nice trip to Sanford and back.

Right now they are hanging out on the clothes line trying to straighten out , I think they have been rolled up since the Spanish-American War.

Tomorrow it will be fitting them in the hammock and marking where to cut and trim them.
As far as fasting them together I'm thinking some Velcro tape and contact cement on each part. The hooks on one and the loops on the other. This way they can be pulled apart and rolled for transportation then just unrolled and fastened together for a good night sleep.

Any Suggestions..........

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I wouldn't overlap the edges of the pads. Seems like that would put a ridge down your back that would be uncomfortable? I'd have some material with the Velcro on.

Personally, I' think that Velcro is an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Just duct tape them together about 3/4" apart to facilitate folding.

I'm off to Walmart to get one pad. I think that just one, cut diagonally, will be enough. Try marking and folding on the line with just ONE pad first, Chuck. You may no need the second one?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not overlapping them , ( That would be really uncomfortable , the guy at the Army Surplus's store suggest groumits and stitching them together , Yep metal poking ya in the back) side by side with a small gap between the two of them.

Was thinking the Velcro as a hinge between them ( a slight gap between the two of them ) will let me take them apart and then roll them up so when they are put in the hammock , side by side , the curl on the ends would be down against the sides. This way as they formed there shape the ends would be helping to spread the middle part of the hammock apart , offering more room , especially when the camper gets in there for a good nights sleep.

The pads are 24 inches across , 3/8th thick and 72 inches long....... They will be reduced to about a 3/4 length pad but the 24 inches with each pad will give me a 48 inch , wide , mattress , something easy to hit and lay on , no scootching around to make sure you have some insulation under you. If I can't hit a 48 inch pad at night for some insulation under me then I have no business out there camping. Or need new glasses. :lol:

In the summer , plop down on it and with a sheet over you , some comfort and no skeeter will get a free supper.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I bought a Wal-Mart special. 72" X 24" X 1/2" (the 1/2" is laughable, more like 3/8") I'm going to try it with only one pad first; I think that will do it. Thanks for the idea of cutting it on the diagonal instead of symmetrically.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
So let me get this right take a 72 x24 piece of foam pad cut on the diagonal flip one over so now you have when attached together a piece 72 x 48. Now cut 1/4 of the length off and save for other features. Am I right so far? Do you use the split access Hennesey I've seen?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Ozark,

Chuck is doing his differently than I am doing mine. Whatever you do, I suggest that you try folding the pad first to see what you think before you cut. However, if you do cut and don't like it, merely duct tape the thing back together. Abut the pieces and tape on both sides. It'll last only about another 20 years.

I plan to cut some off of opposite (diagonal) corners. Say, 1' off the end, and 2' off the side on opposite corners. I'm very likely to cut the overall length to something shorter after I cut & try a bit.

Where the remaining pad straddles the entry/exit slit, I'll slice the pad to facilitate entry/exit. To stop the pad ripping any further up that slit, I'll put a 6" piece of duct tape across the pad at the end of the slit, one on each side of the pad.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Fur ... all of ya..... When I get this done I will post pictures so ya can understand what I'm doing. IF IT WORKS , Otherwise ..... Naw skip that term , family forum ya know , ya are just on ya own to come up with something better . :twisted:

I plan on having the pads above the slit in the hammock where you get in and out of it. This will stop the problem that one person had by twisting and turning in his hammock and getting evicted from it threw that entrance and exit. In his case the exit was a lot faster then the entering.:lol: :lol: :lol: ( Name withheld to protect the fast exiter)

Chuck.