Hand Held Water Purifier... | SouthernPaddler.com

Hand Held Water Purifier...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
After entering my 6th decade on the 3rd planet from the insignificant star known a Sol of the Milky Way Galaxy.........a gift was presented to me.
It's called a SteriPEN Handheld Water Purifier. Many acclolade's accompany this high tech ultraviolet wonder.
Fast.0.5L(16 oz) in 48 seconds
Light under 8 oz
Easy Push button operation Effective UV light destroys viruses, bacteria and protozoa.

Time Magazine best invention.....2006 Outdoor writers guild product of the year.

My question is.....Has anyone ever used one of these? Do you trust it?
I have used filtration water systems and have some level of confidence in them as I can see a filter.
Placing the tube in a glass of water, pushing a button and watch the water glow violet doesn't instill confidence in it's performance. I guess I just need to get used to it.

http://www.steripen.com/

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Never used one but from what I have read the UV jobs are the new Cats Meow according to the reports the outdoor folks wright.

Personally if it was me I would filter the water threw something before using it , you don't want a minnow swimming in there unless you have a spare cracker to put it on. :lol:

Chuck.

nckayaker

Oct 23, 2008
oldyaker,
I have used the steripen kit with bottle and prefilter this year with no problems either from the pen or from drinking water purified with it..I like it because it is quick/easy to use.
I use hi amp rechargeable batteries and they have lasted for our 3-7 day trips. I do remove one battery and place in the case,,also do this for my headlamp just in case of accidental turn on..the only thing is you want relatively clear water..but the areas we camp in the mountains and rivers have good current so no problems..I still carry my Katadyn for a backup.
Doug... nckayaker

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yep - solid particulate matter, and dissolved chemicals may not be affected by UV. Living stuff is. (Best not carry that pen in you pants pocket, Yakus Impotenticus - no telling what all it could sterilize during casual moments.)

nckayaker

Oct 23, 2008
The Steri-pen kit comes with a bottle and pre filter screen to filter out any particles..it is a super fine mesh and does a bang up job..the bottle and pre filter can be purchased separately. The UV light scrambles everything up so it
can't do any harm... :shock:

Doug...nckayaker 8)