Help... my bottom's looking dodgy and my varnish won't dry! | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Help... my bottom's looking dodgy and my varnish won't dry!

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Mmmm.... guys I do wonder whether amine blush was the culprit :(

Scraping it down to the glass to start with and I'll look at that. If it looks dodgy I might as well strip it to the wood and start from scratch now before I lose my will to finish the project!

I just want to get on the water with the kids now.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If the glass is stuck to the wood then leave it and just sand , clean and put on the final coats of epoxy.

If the glass is OK... There is another way to go ....... I hate to use this word when it comes to wood boats but if the glass is there and OK............ Paint.

Chuck.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
kayak

Or, if the glass is adhered to the plywood,there is always epoxy and graphite for the final two coats on the bottom. This will of course make it black but, it will also hide any unsightly spots.

Pirogue

Seed tick may have nailed it with the amine blush.

When I did my first boat, both the varnish and paint would not dry up. And I remember i did not wash off the blush. On my second boat, I was sure to was the boat down before I varnished it, and it (the varnish) dried very well.

Now, everytime I varnish after epoxying, I am sure to wash off the blush.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend double steve,

How ya doin'? Did the high technikle talk help? How bout the Monty Python song? :(

regards
bearridge

The goal of all inanimate objects is to resist man and ultimately defeat him. Russell Baker

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Hi Bearidge,
I have taken the time to take stock and clear up in the workshop. I have built a pair of hangers to suspend the pirogue from the rafters.

My next step is to get in touch with my supplier so that I can get another pint or two of resin. I will then recoat the bottom after scraping the old resin off. Once that's done it may not be as cosmetically pretty as I had hoped. However, all is not lost in that respect as I will paint the outside red (which is what my young son always wanted anyway!). I will leave the inside and rails bright wood as this is looking good.

Then finally I can do what I really want... which is to get it wet :)

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend double steve,

Sounds like all iz well, long az it all ends well. :wink: I reckon ya wife gits the next one.....with beautiful wood. Gwine ta paddle the Gade 'er the Bulbourne?

regards
bearridge

Lawyer, n. One skilled in the circumvention of the law. Ambrose Bierce

ulav8r

Jan 25, 2022
From what I've read on the Woodenboat forum, seedtick had the answer. Scotchbrite and soapy water should be used to remove amine blush and then a clear water rinse. I have no idea on the timing for amine blush, but I am fairly sure it varies with the brand of epoxy and the temperature and humidity during installation.