Here comes the Judge | SouthernPaddler.com

Here comes the Judge

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Does anyone own are have fired the Judge revolver,I sure like the way it looks and a 410 shotgun shell would be death on snakes and the 45 long colt isnt a slouch on the rest of the critters.
Ron

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
I have and did not buy it as the pattern was very thin in the middle due to the rifling spinning the shot load. The barrel is too short to get an effective pattern with small shot and I feel the buckshot out of a .410 is not an effective man stopper. You would be hard pressed to stop someone in heavy winter clothing with the .410 buck load. JMHO.

The 45 colt is a great round on the other hand and I have owned several.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Does the .410 shot load have a plastic, shot column protector? I load #7 shot in my .357 shells, with a shot column protector made of a piece of 3"X5" note card I cut to size. It had a nice pattern at about 8'-10'. And, it dug hell out of a board I shot at.

Can't remember the name of the Civil War era gun that had a shot gun in the middle, and (I think) a 9 shot cylinder. Must have weighed a lot, but it surely had firepower.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, that was a LeMatt revolver. Developed by a Louisiana officer. Heck of a weapon. I think the cylinder held 8 shots with the 9th being a shot shell in the center, as you said. Must have took a week to reload.

Joey

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I have a Judge in the gun safe. It was a gift a couple of years ago. It's still new in the box, I've never gotten around to firring it.

Mike

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
A bit off topic but,

Lately on the tube , there have been several commercials praising the “ home security “ type of system. This system sounds an alarm and sends a signal to a center where some bozo then calls you and asks if everything is ok. At that point the poor distraught woman tells him that someone just broke in the door.

Bozo in his efficent manner then states he is sending help. There is no indication of how long it will take the paperwork filler outer to show up. In the meantime, if the intruder was really serious, he has already stomped the woman and answers the phone saying everything is OK. This give him all the time he needs to do whatever he wants.

That is the way our duly elected law givers want us to handle crime.

The following statement has been around for some time but, time passing makes it no less true.

I FULLY SUPPORT the implied truth that explaining the dead butt head is the more correct ending.

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to one explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal wound.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
I hate those commercials. The one that gets me is "My ex-boyfriend just kicked down the door!". If he's kicked in the door, and you can identify him, do you really think he's going to run away just because the alarm went off? Or do you think the alarm company will call, not get an answer, and try again 'cause they might have the wrong number, then call the police? And do you think the police, 20 minutes later (at best) are going to find anything but an open door and an empty house?

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
graybeard said:
I hate those commercials. The one that gets me is "My ex-boyfriend just kicked down the door!". If he's kicked in the door, and you can identify him, do you really think he's going to run away just because the alarm went off? Or do you think the alarm company will call, not get an answer, and try again 'cause they might have the wrong number, then call the police? And do you think the police, 20 minutes later (at best) are going to find anything but an open door and an empty house?

i submit to you that they would find an unconcious woman . Possibly a dead woman.

At the very best outcome, a woman with severe bruises on her.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I fired the Judge Defender today and compared it to a bonds 410 45lc gun here is my report

I shot both guns today. the bond 410/45lc
and the judge stainless defender.
I am going to list some things good and bad.

Finish is better on the bond
Bond carries flatter and is more concealable
There isnt much difference in weight of the unloaded guns
Bond can chamber a 3 inch 410 the defender model 2 1/2" 410 shells
Groups from both guns were close using 4 6 and buck
Recoil was much easier to handle with the Judge (note here I have large hands and just couldnt get the right grip on the bond)
at 20 yards I held a little better group with the judge,about 4 1/2" shooting 2 handed standing
Judge won out on being a double or single action,if you need a second shot that really matters
more capacity for the Judge 2 rounds compared to 5
With all the 410 loads at room distances you dont want to get hit with any of the loads we fired

To sum it up both these pistols are to big to just drop in your pocket ,for me the better accuracy ,more rounds better handling of recoil double action ,the Judge fits me better
Thats what I will buy.
Ron

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Ron,

You're not limited to the 2.5" chamber, the Judge can also be had with at 3" chamber.

Mike

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mike
The weight and length of the 3 inch is what made my mind up to go with the 2 1/2 410
Plus I have a snake charmer type 410 that chambers the same round
Ron

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Yeah, they are big. Even the 2 1/2". Mine's the 2 1/2". Not something to try to carry conecaled, huh? :lol:
Mike

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Why not just carry a normal revolver with a couple of snake loads in the first two chambers and more potent ammo in the last three or four?

.38/.357 shot loads work decently on snakes. I would THINK that .44 loads would be ample. (don't know, though, since I don't have a .44)

The judge seems like a solution looking for a problem, to me. Just use commercial shot loads in a normal revolver and shoot twice if you have to. The first round might not kill a big rattler, but it will surely screw him up enough that you can take your time about the finish.

Personal experience was with a 5ft water moccasin. Took more than one shot with the .357, but that first shot had him balled up to the point where he was no longer an immediate threat.

George

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
gbinga
The Judge takes a little farther than the snake loads,way more options,and more uses.
The buck is a good self defense load at normal combat ranges. and the 45 long colt is a great round.
I have loaded the snake loads in 357 ,41,45,and 44 ,they just dont do the trick as well as the 6 and 4 in this gun
plus most are a whole lot bigger package.
Also heavier loads from the 410 that you can just buy over the counter.When I am in bad snake country the shotgun shell will be loaded in all five cylinders.
I can kill a snake with my other pistols from a 22 to a 454 or my bow ,but in a step on snake draw and fire situation I think the Judge will do what I want better than any other gun I own.
Ron

Beside that I want one :lol: