Here comes the Judge | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Here comes the Judge

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The thing that is running around in my mind is the problem one camper had in snake territory.

Seams like Mother Nature called on his bodily functions or just kicked then into high gear for the fun of it. He located a convenient log and ..... In banking terms ( to keep this clean) ..... Made a large deposit but since he forgot the deposit slip the teller that was the recipient of his large deposit was not that happy. No Sir , Not happy at all. :wink:

Makes me think Ron could shoot more then his foot or the snake if he was in that situation........ :roll:

Seams to me the best thing is prevention and not getting into a tight spot where a cannon or 911 is needed.......... LOOK , LISTEN and TREAD LIGHTLY........After all it is there home , not ours.

Yes.... I do have a hand gun with me in the woods but my main fear is the two footed varmint , not the local ( wildlife ) residences of the area where I am.
A sad cometary on the way things are today , it sure was not like that when I was growing up.

Chuck.
PS. Not sure about any of the rest of you but I have had to dispose of some critters that had obvious signs of Rabies , that came into the area while camping.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Beside that I want one :lol:[/quote]

I've had coustomers looking at something to buy and can't make their mind up. In order to talk them selves our of buying it they will say ' I really don't need that. Then I tell them 'we don't buy what we need. We buy what we want'. That want is a powerful thing. :mrgreen:
Bob

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well you are going to think I am nutts, but after seeing several rattler bites and the damage they did I am not to sure I wouldnt trade a toe to keep from getting bit. That being said I hope I never have to make that choice.
A few years ago I was hunting out in West Texas , a friend and I were walking along out of the corner of my eye saw a movement ,about a 4 ft rattler a foot from my leg coiled and ready.I was pistol hunting deer that year and had a ruger 44 mag on my hip. I shot the snake and luckly hit him in the body so he could not hit me I backed up and finished him off.
My buddy swears that two rounds went off while I was still in the air :lol: :lol:
With the Judge it would have been a surer deal.
The next day I went to town and bought a set of snake chapps,I now wear them anywhere I cant see the ground when I am out hunting
I am careful but one mistake in rattler country can mess you up the rest of your life.
Darrel and I killed a 6 1/2 fter with bows on a hunt in south Texas this year ,if one of us had been bitten it would have been 4 hours to the nearest hospital that had ativenom.So we are careful.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ron.....

I know what you are saying..... During my younger days I was hunting (actually doing some scouting for hunting) in our scrub. Walking threw some briers and palmettos I heard a sound and then noticed the movement about a foot and a half from my right leg.
Looking closer I could see the diamonds moving threw a little open spot. Needless to say I froze and waited for what seamed like an eternity but in reality only a few minutes. Checking around I noticed the head and using a Colt Buntline managed to ventilate the head. Followed up with a 2nd shot and then , after making sure he was dead reached in and picked him up.

Getting to an open spot I held his head above mine ( I'm 6-1 ) and his tail ( rattles) were still on the ground. On the bright side , he did make a good hat band for my Stetson and I filleted some of the meat which I cooked later on.

That was the rattler I cooked with frog legs when the wife ( girl friend then ) came over for supper. She did not know what the long thin pieces of meat ( snake ) was and could not understand why the chicken ( frog ) legs had only one thin bone in them. I would not tell her what the meat was till two weeks later. Even then she turned a pretty shade of green but thought the stuff was delicious when she was eating it. Man , she has never forgiven me for that. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. I did purchase a pair of snake boots right after that ordeal.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Yeah, had a friend bitten once. It was horrible watching him curl up, thrash about and die. The snake, I mean. Alcohol poisoning.

Ok, I mighta been stretching things, there was no snake, no death, but lots of alcohol. Other than that, the facts is the facts.

dawallace45

Ron

Some time back a mate from another forum decided to buy a Judge , mainly because he hadn't had one before but after shooting it for some time he decided to go back to his Uberti .45C with 4 3/4" barrel and his home made shot shells for snakes , not sure how he made these particular shot shells but the guy was a obsessive experimenter and was at it all the time , last we talked he was talking of selling his Judge

But I've got to say that probably 3/4's of the firearms I've bought have been bought just because I've never had one before and want one and I have to say that is all the reason you ever need

Several years ago I made up some .45 shot shells for my Rossi lever gun , wanted some thing shorter than my under and over shotgun for snakes in the confined space of my chook house , so I put several grains of AS50 in a shell then pushed in a gas check and then a load of mixed 6 and 9 shot and then put a 160 gn cast bullet in on top and crimped it in the bottom lube groove , it worked fine at any where between 3 ft and 12 ft ,

David

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
tx river rat said:
Beside that I want one :lol:

Got no argument for that. You have a perfectly good reason there.

Been thinking about getting a 1911 .45 lately. With all the guns I have, I can think of lots of better ways to spend the money, and more practical guns to spend it on....

But I want one.

George

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Here is what I want to get..... Had one about a 100 years ago and it has the octagon barrel which they don't ofter today , darn it. Like a fool I sold it to a friend that wanted it for hunting.

The Thompson Contender , Single Shot.
In the 357 cal it offers a lot of choices , shoot 38's , 357's and even the shot shells in the same caliber.

2702.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ron...........

Just got the Fathers Day flier from Bass Pro in the mail today...........
Bass Pro has the Judge in Stainless Steel for 479.99... Your choice on the grips , Black or Pink. :wink: It is the 2 inch chamber and they are nick naming it the Public Defender.

Here is what the manufacture has to say about it.............
The newest version of the Judge might just revolutionize small frame revolvers. The Model 4510 Public Defender delivers the same devastating firepower in a new scaled-down size that can travel with you. Available in a carbon steel or stainless steel frame and with the option of a Titanium cylinder, the new Public Defender also features a reduced hammer that won't catch when it needs to come out quickly.

Chuck...........
Personally ... I think they should of named it ..... The Prosecutor.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
After several outings with the Judge ,I have to say I love that pistol. It fits me perfect with a natural point. I played with number 4s and had pretty good luck and the tripple o buck groups great out to twenty yards . I dont agree with most folks from what I have seen shooting this gun
I will kill a wild hog with it this fall and test the penetration of the 3 ought buck. If it will penetrate that hide winter cloths are not a problem.
Ron

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Ron
August's American Rifleman has an article about shot shells for The Judge.

beekeeper

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
seen a circuit judge at wally world the other day.it looks pretty wicked too.looks like it would give someone a fair trial too. :wink: :lol: would be bad on snakes too.