"home-crafted' bows? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

"home-crafted' bows?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
About the second wood bow I built was out of a piece of ash. I had the bow bending evenly back to about 25". At that draw length it was about 60#. I decided to try coming all the way back to my 28" draw- probably went up to around 70#. The bow came apart right above the handle. The top limb went flying over my head and the bottom limb came back and smacked me across the ribs. The bruise turned black, blue, green, purple, yellow--- didn't think a body could produce those colors. :shock:

islandpiper

joey, "Always question authority" is your motto. You are the authority here, so, of course I will question you. Your assistance and expertise are beyond value to me. I may only build one bow, so i am trying to minimize the investment in STUFF, like heat boxes and things. If i go to the firehose air-pressure clamp i'll need an air compressor, hoses, etc....... see what i mean? I'm trying to be able to do this simply, or I can't do it.

piper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Piper
I am going to make a suggestion here. Since money is tight go to a self bow (all wood bow) they are not that hard to build and you can build one for just a few bucks less than twenty dollars and have a good shootable bow. Doing this you will learn how to make a bow and tiller and build a riser that fitts string grooves limb twist and what to do about it.
Build a bow longer than what you think you need, can always shorten it later, a bow that is low lbs, shortening it will jump this up, and back it. My first wood bow was backed with a piece of nylon from a tent rain fly.
My favorite wood is one you don't hear much about, mulberry,it has wide rings so they are easy to follow pretty straight grain, first cousin to your Osage orange and shoots hard and last but not least is easy to find, the next is elm , shoots pretty good is a bear to work but lets you get bye with a lot.
I have built longbows self bows recurves all out of wood and they shoot well, and you will learn so much that a glass wood bow later on will be a piece of cake.
Oh the stave does not have to be perfect, you will build to the wood .
My two cents
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Piper
Google Three rivers archery click on books and dvds then on bowbuilding
There are a lot of good books but one I recommend is the Bent Stick.
Then go to cutting wood.
Ron

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
That was good advice for free. 3Riv's has good stuff.
If ya want a recurve bow, I'll sell ya one at a fair price(cheap)
and you can play with a ready made. I have a really nice Grizz
you might like to learn with. I'll throw in a string, you get your
own arrows. Coogs

Kodiak004.jpg

It's #43. A good weight for a starter bow. New rest and refineshed
with lacquer. Rubbed out like glass. You will likee!

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Piper
I need to warn you it doesn't stop with the bow, then you build a string jig and make your strings and then you build a doweling jig and make your own wooden shafts, can make 120 shafts out of a good piece of birch
2 +4 8 ft long, then you make some flint and steel broadheads and learn how to weight 38 hulls for blunts, oh yea and a fletching jig and if you like shooting wood arrows a spline tester, then a set of leather tools to make your quiver.
Do I need to go on?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ron
Jd did I leave anything out

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
tx river rat said:
Piper
I need to warn you it doesn't stop with the bow, then you build a string jig and make your strings and then you build a doweling jig and make your own wooden shafts, can make 120 shafts out of a good piece of birch
2 +4 8 ft long, then you make some flint and steel broadheads and learn how to weight 38 hulls for blunts, oh yea and a fletching jig and if you like shooting wood arrows a spline tester, then a set of leather tools to make your quiver.
Do I need to go on?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ron
Jd did I leave anything out

Not much, Ron. Piper, while ya got the leather out, you can make an armguard and a shooting glove. If you're really adventurous, you can cut out the leather dealer and start with a fresh deer hide and make your own leather. Did that once and it's ..........it's ...............um .. an experience. :shock: :lol:

Joey

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
Don't forget all the trick arrow rests and string silencers.
Theres no end in sight. Theres all differnt fleches and arrows
and tips. Then theres spline. Uh huh! You see, the silly arrow
act's like a porpise in flight. Coogs

islandpiper

joey, i tanned deer hides in michigan. yes, it is an experience. i think they moved here with me someplace. It wasn't too bad pulling the hair up there, the weather ran cool in deer season.......here, i think they would just go over and stink.

But, with time and effort and a wee bit of know how a fellow can make good treated rawhide/leather.

I guess i sort of figure if every nomad in history had a bow and never shopped at BASS PRO SHOP that maybe i could have one too. Though, i'm not the nomad I used to be.

piper

islandpiper

dear big brother (jack)......i especially liked your offer, several posts back, in which you offered to come to Louisiana and put a knot on my head. What is family for? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't know that we shared that Scotch with an English bulldog......he was born and raised here in Louisiana and might be more French.

Piper

islandpiper

A friend here (yes, i have 2-3 friends here [ on this planet]).....came in and offered me a Bois d'arc stave to make a self bow. I think i'll fool around and make a Lowes lumberyard bow first and get into the more valuable wood later. dang........bearridge was right.....(as usual) when he predicted that one bow would not be enough. Here i have not started the first one yet, and i'm planning the second one..........

I will wait till after the storm , lots to do before then.

piper

islandpiper

Dear Mr Kayak, I just got those ruts filled. I'll soak the stave in the drainage ditch out front. There's snakes in there so none of my neighbors will reach in to steal it.

I have some nice straight Spanish Cedar.....might fool around with that a bit. Also, some nice maple that could do. Next would be to visit the lumberyard like jdupre' suggested. I'm pretty close to Acadia Cypress Hardwoods......and Mr. Bob will get me what i need. Can't wait to get started.

Does anybody here make the Flemish Twist strings?

piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Good idea to use the lumberyard wood first. I've read, but not experienced( who me? no way), the fact that a new bow maker will break or maim 6 or 8 selfbows before he gets one that lasts. Save the Bois d'arc for later when your skills improve. Bois d'arc is the equivalent of that $100.00 a sheet extra premium okoume plywood.