"home-crafted' bows? | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

"home-crafted' bows?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Great quote from one of the Traditional Bowyers Bibles " How in the heck did you split up that 30" diameter Osage log(bois d'arc)? " " I beat on the wedges til I passed out , woke up , and beat some more." :lol:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I tore up 4 good dogwood guts trying to split a G. D. B.D. log. Had those guts for years with little wear on them and that one log ruined them. Did get the log open but was not worth the effort to split out any staves.Wern't nothing straight in it. Wasted sweat.
Bob

islandpiper

I'm not hooked yet.......still looking at the bait.

Today i need to prepare to move the working portions of the violin shop to the second floor in case the water comes up.

And, at home, i am peeling up three layers of flooring in the kitchen and the new ceramic tile is on the front porch waiting for me to install it.

And, my home shop needs some real work before I can really do anything creative in it.

So, I'll just look at the bait for a while.

Piper

islandpiper

OK, swung into postion today and began tasting the bait.....

I bought a stick of oak, after feeling all of them at Lowes. And a friend has lent me his copies of "THE TRADITIONAL BOWYERS BIBLE" Vol 1 & 2.

If it is still dead in the shop tomorrow I may either make a bow, or some really pretty chunks of oak to put on the smoker.

I spent a little down time today picking arrow size canes out of a local bamboo thicket......two kinds from two thickets. Now you know I'm nuts.

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I know a couple of archers here who think you can't shoot an arrwo that isn't metal or carbo fiber. Paraphrasing the Wizard, "Pay no attention to all those dead animals and men who were shot with arrows made from local materials."

islandpiper

Hey, this could be habit forming. Why didn't you guys warn me? :lol: :shock: :eek:

I made some fast pencil lines, some fast saw cuts and some fast plan work......and have a bow that draws in a nice curve. Not pretty, but functional. When I get a chance I'll sand and oil it. And, start looking for arrow materials.

Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll need more.

piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
islandpiper said:
Mr. Kayak, I think I detect a certain 'twang" when you make these pointed remarks. I won't suggest that anyone is being shafted here, but you do impart a certain spin to things and are right on target.
You're right, Li'l Brother. But these archers to whom I refer aren't on this forum.

Port Orford cedar arrows kill pretty good. So do arrows of other woods.

islandpiper

I really don't know much about tillering, except I just tried to make this one bend equally and "pretty". I think i will trace one limb on cardboard and then trace the other limb over it and see if they are alike.

I have been stringing it and pulling 27" and letting it down easy. It has taken a little bit of set. Is this "string follow"?

I'll lay the back on a flat surface and measure up to teh tips and report what that "set" is.

As soon as possible I'm going to the hardwood supplier and checking out what he has.

OK, i admit it, I'm hooked.

Piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Sounds good, Piper. White oak or hickory would be a little better than red oak for your next one. Any string follow less than about 2" is pretty good.

Two more weeks until we get cable and internet service. :cry: Bummer.
(Correction- Just found out it's 3 1/2 weeks)
Joey

islandpiper

joey, glad you are back online.

I laid that new bow out on it's back, belly up, on the glass top sales counter. one tip is flat to the glass and the other is just almost an inch high when unstrung.

I have to find some way to measure draw weight. I'm guessing it is pretty low. For me, the thrill is about te same no matter what the weight is......start with a board, end up wit a bow.

Strings are the issue now and i have only a double run of yellow seine twine on it. I got the Three-Rivers Archery catalog in the mail today. Now I'll have to raid the cookie jar.

( dang......you could'a warned me....hmm.....maybe you did)

piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
One inch of set is great. Higher poundage will likely cause more set.

Dirty trick!! Cable and internet came on for 35 minutes and went off again. :x :x :x A curse on them!

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Piper
Get you a roll of B50 dacron and a string server you can build a jig and make your own.
This is handy to know, I was in Colo on a mule deer hunt my son cut his bowstring half into 100 miles to the nearest bowshop and didn't know if they had the right one. I always carry a string server and some bowstring material, took four nails drove into a tree made up a new string . He killed his first muley that afternoon . So it is handy.
Ron

islandpiper

Here are a few pics of my latest bow. Addicted? who? Me?

DSCF0023_12.jpg

DSCF0024_9.jpg

side%20view_10.jpg

grip%20close%20up.jpg

top%20view_1.jpg

Jdupre' was right, as usual. Same for Bearridge, Jack, TRR and others.

And, I'm getting some really nice shavings for the smoker.

Piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Nice job, Piper. Looks like a keeper. I think you are ready for the holy grail-- Osage orange. You will notice it is a BIT harder than the red oak. Ron can probably tell you for sure, but I think you need to follow one growth ring on Osage.

Joey