Honest[as you can get] opinions on tents | SouthernPaddler.com

Honest[as you can get] opinions on tents

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
My old tent has long been unusable and I have been using a canvas tarp.

It's time to get a tent. Now, I know that there is a "small" number of folks who think that a hammock is the way to go.

I might agree except, most of the camping around here during trips is done on sand bars. Hard to find two trees or stumps to tie off to.

SO, if you were buying, with all your experience. What tent would you buy.

One occupant and associated gear.

I thank you

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Tents

I've got an old (5 yrs) Coleman umbrella tent that sets itself up when you take it out of the stuff sack. I ordered it from a catalogue from my smoking days. (marlboro premiums) I've tried to find it from other sources, but I've never been able to find another one.
It's a little wieghty (11 lbs) but it's nice if you're setting up at night or in "weather".
I camp year round and use this thing exclusively. the over-all floor is 8x8 and heighth is 6 foot. (important for a 6'-4" camper)
The closest one I found to it was at Target, but it's not a coleman.
If you're going for ulta-lite, high-speed, low-drag, military-style camping, you may want to go with a bivy style tent from cabellas. I've got a bivy, but found that it didn't give my "old-fart" body much room for getting dressed in the mornings, or for my gear if the weather closes in.

Lee

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
Tents

I like Eureka tents. Advanced features at reasonable prices. I currently use a Eureka Timberlite., about 4 lbs with a sloping ridge. Full rainfly, self standing but has 2 pull outs on each side.

timberlite.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have found that a tent for two is good for one if you like cramped spaces , a 3 person tent is good for one person and there gear.

Tents like sleeping bags are over rated for there use a 40 degree bag is good for 60 degrees just like a 3 person tent is good for one person.

The style of tent is depended on the persons like or desires , a A frame will have less usable space then a dome tent. I have both the A frame and the dome tents , my preference are the dome tents because of there room in them.

( I have 4 different tents ,Eurekas , Moss and Go Lite along with two hammocks )
One that I use is the Apache Tent , It is shock corded and goes up like an umbrella , then toss the rain fly over it and you are set for the night , it takes about 3 minutes to put it up and it offers a lot of space. I have camped in storms with it where the wind actually had the tent pushed down on top of me as I layed in it. It popped right back up without any problems or water leakage.
www.apachetents.com

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The job of a tent is to simulate a good cave. It is, in effect, our portable cave. As such, it needs to have several characteristics. Few tents have all these characteristics. Many have glitz that would do a Barbie fan proud, but leave them cold and wet.

1. Shed precipitation - this means it must have OVERHANG. Awnings over windows MUST stick out way beyond the drip line so wind won't be able to blow drizzle and mist in through an open window. Awnings MUST hang out over a door so that entry and exit in a rain storm does not admit rain. Dapper Al has a Coleman tent to which he added two feet of overhang all the way around. It is now a good tent, before it wasn't. On the outside, the storm fly should be sufficiently sloped so that snow will slide off rather than sink in.

2. Provide ventilation - this means that air must be able to enter, pass through, and exit freely. Windows and doors should be available on all four sides. They should be screened, and open from the top downwards. Air should be able to flow without water coming along with it. Refer back to characteristic# 1. BTW, many attachable vestibules block ventilation. Sometimes, you can compare two similar tents, one larger than the4 other, that costs and weighs about the same as the smaller tent with vestibule. I give the nod to the larger tent.

3. Stay put - In strong wind, the tent should stay put. Most tents have tie downs, but not enough of them. Add tie downs to the frame before you add them to the fly. Stake out the fly for improved ventilation; stake down the frame to keep the tent. Have more guy lines than you think you need.

4. Stay dry inside - Every year, reapply sealant (deck sealant and a brush do an excellent job, you can waterproof your maps the same way) to the seams of the tent and fly - ALL of the seams. Add an additional liner. There is controversy here about whether to add it outside under the floor, or inside on top of the floor. It's according to what you are trying to protect. If you are protecting the floor, then outside in between the tent floor and rocks, will do that. If you re protecting yourself, then inside will do a better job. Measure the floor, add 12" to both the length and width. Get a piece of visqueen of that size (or larger and trim it to size). Fold and tape the corners so you have a bathtub with 6" sides. This will keep out water even when the floor leaks.

5. Light weight - This is a balancing act. It is much more important for backpacking than in a boat. In a kayak, bulk is more important a consideration than is weight. That kind of reverses in a canoe.

6. Convenient entry and exit - To me, this means two doors. If there are two people in a tent, the second door will be as handy as a pocket on a shirt or zipper in our pants.

7. Cost - This is the least important consideration. You can either pat yourself on the back once when buying a cheap tent, and kick yourself int he arse every time you use it - or, you can kick yourself once when shelling out extra bucks for the one you really want and pat yourself on the back several hundred times later. Your choice. (I suppose it's possible to find the best tent costing less, but I wouldn't hold my breath.)

When all's said and done, I'd start with a tent that has been around for a long time, and has proven itself. My thought line runs to the Eureka Timberline as a starting point. Compare all other candidates to it, and reject anything that cannot match it on any single criteria. If you find a tent that matches all criteria, don't reject it. If you find a tent that matches all, and exceeds some, use it as your new standard and keep on evaluating other tents.

I hope this helps.

TheOtherHank

Jan 27, 2007
Pacifica, CA
I second the Eureka Timberline endorsement. I used those for years when I was a (looks both ways, leans in, whispers) whitewater guide.

In Southwestern Oregon (not the driest place to camp out) I could stay comfortably dry in my Timberline while it was pouring buckets outside. It is not a 4 season tent, but then I'm not a 4 season camper.

- Hank

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The best tent I ever owned was bought from Herters long time ago it was a 7-7-7 Pyramid tent and was perfect for one person you could throw a rope over a limb drive four stacks and it was up or use one pole in the center had floor netting three windows and a vent in the top that was lapped . I have not been able to find another like it some that are close
two piece are no floor Have thought about building one myself.
Ron

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Baldy...the best tent is the one you like. Chuck gave good advice, go up one size over what you think you need. I can say this in purchasing tents. You only get what you pay for.......
Dome tents are my favorite after owning at least a half dozen tents or so after a lifetime.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
The best tent I ever owned was bought from Herters long time ago it was a 7-7-7 Pyramid tent and was perfect for one person you could throw a rope over a limb drive four stacks and it was up or use one pole in the center had floor netting three windows and a vent in the top that was lapped . I have not been able to find another like it some that are close
two piece are no floor Have thought about building one myself.
Ron

Go Lite has one close to it , it is called the Nest and the tent part is staked out and raised with a center pole or the top can be tied off to a branch getting rid of the center pole.
For bug protection there is an inner section you can add which has bug netting and a floor to it.

golite%20001.jpg

The rain fly or outside tent which can be use by itself.
golite%20003.jpg

There are extra stake loops that can be used for additional ground supprot.
golite%20004.jpg

( By the way they say this is a three person tent , after the Buck Lake trip I would say a one person tent , possibly two if friendly.)

The one tent I had from Herters that I really enjoyed was a A Frame with a center pole at each end.
The door way was netted for bugs and along each side about 5 inches above the ground there was a strip (about 12 inches high ) that was netted with a flap that protruded out from the side of the tent as rain protection for the screening. It also keep that section of the tents wall more or less vertical when set up and staked out. The flap could be set up horizontal with the ground which was nice.
That tent was easy to set up and offerer three way ventilation and visibility when in it. "O" It was canvas and had that wonderful canvas smell to it. No rain fly since there were unknown back then so you didn't touch the walls when it rained. :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I think this tee pee tent would withstand rough weather better than most. But if it were hot weather, and little breeze, it looks hotter than hell!

I had a parateepee made of 12 panels of a parachute. Loved it if I had a large, flat space under a tree branch form 12' - 20 feet above it. Otherwise, I use an exterior tripod.

BTW, Bald Cypress, what did you ever get?

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
The one I had wasn't hot i had three pretty goodsize windows and the door was also screened It had netting and the floor combined in one tent
there was also a flap in the top that you could open that would let the hot air escape That was really neat because if you had to you could crack the door and open the top vent and cook inside it had a natural draft so fumes were not a problem And I have ridden out some bad storms in it.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
In general, a teepee is impossible to beat for geometry in a tent. Natural chimney draw on the inside, and natural wind shedding on the outside. I have plans for the Sioux design teepee.

Now, I'm out looking for some semicircular buffaloes to skin out. I think they hang out up around the Circle River Canyon country, just south of the Big Rock Candy Mountain.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Some real nice tents there fellers. By comparison, my paddle camping seems pretty rough.

I mostly just take a tarp that I suspend over rope between a couple of trees and stake the side down. use another tarp as a ground sheet.

I really liked the look of this one though,

http://tinyurl.com/yrbrxh

and bought it a few weeks ago.

Haven't tried it yet - or even put it up in the back yard - but it packs real small about half the size of a sleeping bag and is light enough. Cabelas customer rating is not the best 3/5 ut for me, a tent is only something to keep the rain and dew off - and bugs out if necessary.

Will be trying it out in about 5 weeks time, will let you know what I think of it then. :D

(committment is planning a fishing trip 5 weeks in advance) :p

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
You are right about the tepees they are the ultimate tent, a few years ago hunted in Colo with a friend that had a tepee set up stayed in it for 5 days they are amazing
But dang you need three squaws to set one up and those 18 ft poles are hard to carry in a yak.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick.

PLEASE... Let us know how well you like it , it is a copy of the Whelen Lean To which I have always thought would be a good hot weather camping outfit.
I even have the pattern here to make one like the originals that Col Whelen designed and used.

Also I hope you don't mind but I shrunk your link down from 282 characters to only 25. :D

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Out riggers TRR one in the bow, one in the stern, the rest lashed to them. Or just let them float naturally down river be hind you till you find a suitable camp site then gather them up.

dawallace45

Well I've got a Southern cross Ultimate 9 http://www.southerncrosscanvas.com.au/tents.htm , good tent and fast to put up but not really enough ventilation for the middle of summer in places when it's still 100*f at midnight , but then there really isn't any thing suitable when it's that hot and with summer camping here it often is that hot , the best thing I've found for that sort of temp is a hammock , also the Ultimate 9 doesn't pack down to a size suitable for canoe camping ,

I still have some issues with my Hennessy hammock in that it's awkward to get into with a sleeping bag , Jack says to just get into your bag on the ground , put your hood up and step back into it , of course the problem with that is that at 6'1" and 240 lb I haven't been able to find a sleeping bag with a hood that will fit me and allow me to keep my arms inside the bag and do up the zip and for really hot humid nights the feel of the nylon on my bare skin is uncomfortable and the mosquitos and sand flies have found they can get to me through the nylon if all I'm wearing is a pair of jocks so on those sorts of nights I've gone back to using a tarp and a cotton Brazilian style hammock with mosquito net.

Of course there are those time where you really need a tent because there is no where to hang a hammock and I've sort of been looking at the Shimano's Speedy Tent http://shrinkster.com/u0j , this brings another problem , what to sleep on , around here swags are very popular and I used to use one years ago , basically it's a canvas bed roll with a thin foam mattress inside , and that was fine right up until I got arthritis [ pretty much every joint but especially spine ] and put on weight , now even a 4" thick foam mattress packs down to about a quarter of a inch thick after about 2 hours and then I wake up in pain , the best I've come across is a three inch self inflating camp mattress , it's not perfect but allows me to get about 4 hours sleep before I have to get up and have a rum and some codeine before I can get back to sleep , unfortunately it takes up the same room as about 3 large sleeping bags so if your canoe camping you will need a Southwind or bigger

David