hunting season | SouthernPaddler.com

hunting season

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
since i havent seen any post on this lately i figured i would post one. so far i got a nice doe & a 5 pointer. seen some others couldn,t get a shot, seen lots of hogs havent got one yet. my son got a spike & nice doe. also one hog.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
chuck we ate some while camping out on the altamaha. you know we had to sample the tenderloins,back straps & even some of one ham to see if it was worth bringing home. :wink: yum as i believe jack or bear would say jarvas that was good . :D had some limas , cabbage &blackeyes too to go along with it. the rest is in freezer in hamburger meat.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
I'm doing ok this season. One big old doe and a little 6 point last night. :mrgreen:
0_0_92044f69265c2483feacc58504619f1a_1

0_0_0d86371fa7dd265762c2b21964f827da_1

This is my first year going totally stick and string. No wheels or gun. Been a trip for sure! I don't know how many I'd have in the freezer if I could take reliable shots at more than 20 yards. Not the the equiptment I'm using isn't capable of it. I'm the weak link in this equation. :?

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
hey swamp rat good on you. sure is some nice steaks there. :wink: gata ask why you wet in the first pic ,you either went swimming for they one or it was like it was around here some hot? :? :lol:

i kill most of my game with rifle or shotgun. i am trying to do some with crossbow. i don,t have time to really practice with regular bows. yea its a little different with the recurve. my boss is like you he has killed alot of deer over the years. he,s gave up the compounds & modern firearms to the recurve & mussle loaders. (flintlock)

he said the drenlin isn,t like it used to be so that is why he swapped. he probally want get as many but it will be challenging & exciting when he gets one.

thanks for sharing pics . (cat)

just something else forgot to mention he wanted not only swapping from compound to recurve he swapped from right hand to left hand. :eek:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
There's a lot to be said for simple bow. Lighter weight to carry and handle, more satisfying (to some) to shoot than a mechanically complex bow. More connection with the men who invented and developed bows a few hundred thousand years ago.

I've wondered if ancient man, who had to succeed hunting to eat, would have trusted a bow with so many moving parts. I wonder if, in combat, he would willingly give up a proven, reliable weapon for one that promised to shoot further. I think that, at first he would jump at the chance. I also think that, after a while, some would return to the simple, reliable bow. And, of course, some would stick with a wheel bow.

I have never handled a bow on horseback, but I think that at full gallop, bending in and around obstacles and other guys shooting back, I'd want something light and strong. The Mongol bow comes to mind. A heavy, complex bow seems more a sniper tool than one for stalking or actively moving in thick covers.

Just my thoughts. Others will think differently.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Thanks guys,
Catfish. You guessed correctly on both counts. I had to track that doe thru a nasty deep wet swamp and it was about 90 degrees that evening.
Jack. I'm back to the stick and string for a lot of those same reasons. The compounds today are just to dang complicated. I grew up hunting with a compound. Killed a lot of game with them. Before that, as a small child I shot a bunch of recurves in scouts and at home with my dad.
I quit hunting back in 92 because all the public land I grew up hunting had gotten way to crowded. Nothing like getting up at 3 am to hike 5 or 6 miles back in and see more people than critters.

Now we own our own little piece of paradise with 20 acres and I/we wanted to start supplementing our food with wild game. I started looking at todays modern compound and was dumbfounded, Totally put off. It just seemd so, inpersonal. I somehow found myself looking at recurves and longbows again. I found myself wanting to be able to hunt, and kill using my skills. The sights between my ears. My own muscles doing the drawing. Not some contraption with enough wheels and pulleys to make a watch out of.

I almost gave up several times this season. I'd practiced hard all summer long and was shooting pretty good out to 20 yards or so. Bow season opened and I managed to miss twice in the first 3 days! Managed to miss 3 more times in the next 3 weeks! The first deer of the season came the 3rd weekend and I am still counting that one as a miss. I shot badly and she just managed to put her neck in the way of the arrow as it passed by. heartbreaking feeling watching that deer run off with an arrow flapping around thru her neck.
As luck would have it the arrow picked up a big artery and she dropped after a couple of hundred yards thru a swamp in 90 degree weather. I wasn't happy at all. I knew I hadn't done it right. I just got lucky.

I kept hunting every chance I got from then until two weeks ago. I managed to miss a couple of hogs along the way. Then the little 6 point showed up one evening. I'd been practicing a bunch. I felt very confident of the shot. About all I remember is coming to full draw and seeing nothing but his right front elbow where it meets the body. Suddenly,somehow the fletching from my arrow was there as well! He took off but dropped within a 100 yards. Autopsy revealed I'd center punched the heart. I'd finally done it right........

Sorry for the longwinded post. Its been a real learning experience for me this season. I'd challenged myself and succeded. I'm hooked on the stick and string.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I should keep my mouth shut but this is a subject dear to my heart.
Bows are just like fishing ,there are purist that wouldnt think about fishing with anything but a fly rod and anybody else using anything else is not fishing. Ok wait let me finish :D
I have killed a lot of game with bows ,long bows recurves and compounds ,even a self bow and arrows and broadheads I made my self.
I can take a new compound and set it up in about an hour and in about the same length of time have it sighted in to hunt with. Plus the popularity of archery today can be traced right back to the compound,with less holding weight it was easier to teach new shooters the proper techniques and aiming procedures.
recurves long bows stick bows of anykind ,take more conditioning to pull hold and concentrate on the spot so it is harder to learn the basics and fewer stay with the sport. Folks like to hit what they are shooting at.
With a 5o lb compound you pull 50 lbs and then it relaxes to a lower weight,with a stick you still pull 50 lbs you can hold longer and aim better.with less holding weight but both take the same amount of skill to hit the target. Take the sights off a compound and shoot beside a stick and there is very little difference.
I own a bunch of bows of all kinds and love to shoot all of them ,but when I go hunting I use sights a range finder and a compound,why because my respect for the animals dictates a clean one shot kill that I know I can make everytime.
If you can do that with a stick thats great I cant, 90 percent of the time I can but I cant live with that other ten percent.
I have seen compounds shorter than Indian horse bows and stick bows 7 ft long .
What I am trying to say is what ever weapon you choose ,when you can put you projectile in a three inch circle everytime then at that distance you are ready to hunt ,if thats 10 yards are a hundred..
Ok I am not putting anyone down but just explaining how I feel.
Ron
142 whitales
19 muleys
foxes coons turkeys coyotes bobcats just about any critter that walks in Texas I have taken with a bow.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I think we have hit upon one of the hearts of our makeup here. We each choose our gear, experiment with variations of it, practice to learn how to use it, try to learn some of the history and development of the gear in our sport, and learn all along the way.

Each of us, with any piece of gear, no matter where we are in the track of selecting and re-selecting of models and types, will maybe be handling a different variation of today's gear next year. Because we are traveling an exploratory path and enjoy every step along the way.

I enjoy starting out with equipment of an older design, working my way forward through steps of development so I can work with and better understand how we got where we are today. Sometimes, though, I stay on one step a long time, or maybe step backwards in the chain. I prefer boats made of wood rather than Kevlar and carbon fiber, I prefer older planes rather than newer ones, and I still prefer Hershey bars rather than whatever is the newest candy. Ronnie has nailed a lot of deer, but I'm pretty sure I've eaten more Hershey bars than that.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
I think thats what makes the bow different ,normaly a newbe starts out with a compound then goes to a more primitive set up.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Interesting, Ron. If we stick with a pastime, we probably eventually travel through time as we try the various steps of development. And, a bow and arrow seem to fascinate men endlessly. So simple, yet so ingenious. And it's effective. As Piper San likes to say, "No continent was ever conquered with a compound bow."

I started with a stick, torn from a bush beside a fence row. Bit of kite string braided up, and another stick that pretended to be an arrow. That bow conquered several continents, as I remember it.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
That is true,but if the Indians would have owned the compound we wouldnt be here.
LOL
Ron
Back when you were a kid did they have the wheel yet.
I may have come off the wrong way on this, from running an archery pro shop and being in archery over 40 years ,the compound was the major thing in the growth of archery. Normaly there are two reasons to shot a stick bow ,you like the extra challange,or you have target panic and cant shot with sights.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Your not offending me at all Ron. Good stuff indeed and your thoughts paralell mine in a lot of ways. My respect for the animal has made the decision to stick with the recurve one of the hardest.
I am shooting that magical 3 inch circle, on paper. 100% of the time within my range. I've stuck to my range without exception. The hard part is the transition to game and the associated adrenaline. Luckily I haven't wounded anything. With this little 6 point I now know what it "feels" like to pick that spot and hit it. I'm confident I can do it again and again. Not that there won't be misses. I'm sure there will be but there will be misses with any weapon of choice. Stick bow up to shotgun or 30-06.
btw "My range" is about 20 yards on paper I haven't loosed an arrow on anything in the woods at more than 15 yards. The buck was 11 steps. I'll get better as I'm practicing every night, year round but for now. This close works for me and I'm not tempted to stretch it and risk wounding.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Swamprat
Sounds like your doing it just right,and congratulations on the buck,
I guess what I was trying to say is I have respect for all archers using what ever equipment they choose.
Its sort of like the boats there all good.
Ron
PS a little note, when I was shooting for golden eagle I meet the guy they sponsored that shot a stick,watched him shoot acorns and aspirin that were thrown in the air. With a compound are a stick I do alright on oil cans thrown in the air
but I wasnt in this guys class.
Soo the different strokes for differnet folks applies .

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Swamprat
Sounds like your doing it just right,and congratulations on the buck,
I guess what I was trying to say is I have respect for all archers using what ever equipment they choose.
Its sort of like the boats there all good.
Ron
PS a little note, when I was shooting for golden eagle I meet the guy they sponsored that shot a stick,watched him shoot acorns and aspirin that were thrown in the air. With a compound are a stick I do alright on oil cans thrown in the air
but I wasnt in this guys class.
Soo the different strokes for differnet folks applies .

The guy you were watching with the Long Bow could of been Byron Ferguson. He can hit anything with an arrow from his long bow. All he shoots with is a long bow.
He has hit aspirins tossed in the air , drops of water falling and anything else. :D

Chuck.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Its all good Ron. Any bow, compound or stick is a challenge for sure. One thing I forgot to comment on was your comment about flyfishing. I may be one of the few florida boys that have started out at daylight flyfishing for bream in Florida and by that night be up in Georgia setting limblines for flatheads, with the bream I caught on a flyrod that morning! :mrgreen: Won't see any elitism from me! LOL

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
It wasnt Fergusion, this guy was short and stuby a full blood indian and a preacher,he is also the one that help set up the point and shoot training for the military ,they were taught with a bb gun.
Ron
PS I think he is deceased now.
My kind of day Swamprat

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
swamprat said:
Its all good Ron. Any bow, compound or stick is a challenge for sure. One thing I forgot to comment on was your comment about flyfishing. I may be one of the few florida boys that have started out at daylight flyfishing for bream in Florida and by that night be up in Georgia setting limblines for flatheads, with the bream I caught on a flyrod that morning! :mrgreen: Won't see any elitism from me! LOL

Swamprat.....

Ya ain't the only one , I could work a fly Rod before I could use a casting rod and not one of these new flanged ones , the ones where your thumb controlled the line going out. Then when a good fish on it you better have a thumb sock on your thumb or you would be dipping the reel and your thumb in the water to stop any blisters. Sometimes even that did not work.

Spinning rods , Ha Ha Ha That was what the Yankees used from New York when they came down here .... Greenhorns to the fishing game. Fair game for any southern locals to take advantage of , back then.

These kids today have no idea of what I am saying but those were the days when the battle was between the fish and the fisherman. You did not drag the fish in , you fought it and with some luck won , not all the time , that is for sure.

Fishing was a sport back then , the odds were more of less even , not like the meat fishing done today where you hook them and drag them in. :twisted: That's not fishing it is working on a Tuna Boat.

Chuck.