hunting season | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

hunting season

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
dang ron i didn,t know but you are a real danial boone. :wink: :lol: swamprat i guess its like you guys have said the guy that set me up with a compound may have started me off to high poundage?
i kept it & tried to used it for a couple years ended up selling it. i had some back problems also during that time. i have been trying to use a crossbow some . yea i know it aint realy a bow ? :(

swamprat as far as missing or wounding an animal i don,t like to do that either. i dont take a shot unless i,m sure i can hit it. but if for some reason i do wound one i atleast make all out efforts to retrieve it . this way when i do this i don,t have no guilty concoise unless it was a 12 pointer. :evil: sometimes we all miss one or do wound one even with a rifle or scatter gun. so on your terms don,t feel bad if you do that with bow. your odds arent as good with the long bow.

ron i have an old 870 reminton pump shot gun . i put a notch on the stock when i kill a hog or deer . have 19 so far . i just wanted to see how many i can with it before i retire or i retire it. i believe i will have to put a new stock on it before i catch up with you. :(

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Catfish
That is a big problem with compounds,if the guy is not very knowledgeable about setting one up for a person ,you want ever be consistent with it. !/2 in draw length can make all the difference in the world and lbs you shoot ,a lot of guys get macho about that and ruin some starting shooters. The reason pro archery shops are around and wally world cant break into that market is the tuning of a bow to an individual.
When I first started bow hunting 45 lbs was considered the norm for animials up to elk size,and that was a recurve.
I have a lady I shoot with at times that takes a lot of deer each year ,she shoots from 32 to 37 lbs. Gets good clean kills because she is vey accurate and takes her shots inside 20 yards.
Folks make archery to hard,A bow needs to be tuned to fit you,and to shoot it accurately just do the same thing every time
It will hit the same spot every time.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
tx river rat said:
... Folks make archery to hard,A bow needs to be tuned to fit you,and to shoot it accurately just do the same thing every time. It will hit the same spot every time.
Well worded, Ron. There are similarities in all "weapons launching platforms", and consistency is one of them.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
No disagreement here about range and armament. If you can't hit the animal cleanly don't take the shot, whether its with a bow, crossbow, compound, shotgun, pistol or rifle. Its good to know others see it that way too.

basumarpo1610

Mar 24, 2010
I've wondered if ancient man, who had to succeed hunting to eat, would have trusted a bow with so many moving parts. I wonder if, in combat, he would willingly give up a proven, reliable weapon for one that promised to shoot further. I
think that, at first he would jump at the chance.

I also think that, after a while, some would return to the simple, reliable bow. And, of course, some would stick with a wheel bow.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Folks
I hate to burst your bubble ,but a good compound is just as reliable as a stick bow ,and a whole lot easier to tune correctly.
Sticks are very touchy about the spine of an arrow, knocking point height,brace height,string slap on the limbs,feathers are more trouble shooting off the shelf than plastic vanes,they wear faster,are noisier and get wet.
The sticks are longer so they are harder to handle in tight quarters. In my opion a stick is much harder to tune than a compound and fewer folks are really proficient at the tuning.
All that being said I just bout a new recurve a couple weeks ago :D
Ron

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Kayak Jack said:
I think you have a good point, Basomarpo1610.
Jack, You should think that it is a good point as it is a direct quote of part of your post from page 1 of this thread. Basomarpo1610 made 3 posts and 2 of them were quotes from you and the other was a quote from Joey. I think that he is really more interested in selling AC parts.
Jimmy