Inexpensive ( Stainless Steel ) Cooking Set. | SouthernPaddler.com

Inexpensive ( Stainless Steel ) Cooking Set.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was sitting around the house and had a thought about putting together a inexpensive hiking or backpacking cooking set so I put one together. It is not super light weigh but it is not heavy either it's sort of middle of the road outfit. The nice thing is that everything fits together and makes it one compact unit.

#1 ,A Stanley Adventure Cook Camp System. The weight .....13.8 OZ. with the cups, 7.8 OZ. without the cups
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Camp-24o ... B00H3377W6
$15.00 from Amazon or $30.00 from Stanley's web site.

I removed the two cups , they weigh to much. As a solo outfit and you have to have a cup one of the cups would work quite well and still let everything be packed in the pot.

#2. A Trangia alcohol burner. The weight..... 4.2 ounces
https://www.amazon.com/Trangia-Spirit-B ... B000AR7970
$14.70 from Amazon and a ton of other dealers.

#3. A Evernew titanium Cross Stand. The weight....0.5 oz
https://www.amazon.com/Evernew-Titanium ... B003DKK7MA
$12,10 from , Yep you guessed it ...Amazon or a bunch of different dealers.
It fits over the top of the Trangia forming a X so the pot has a solid stand under it.

Total weight 11.15 oz. The Trangia and the Evernew Cross Stand I put in a zip lock and it fits in the bottom of the Stanley pot. Two benefits for the zip lock. It stops the rattling and it protects the inside of the pot from any alcohol spillage. Denatured alcohol has a poison in it and I do not think it is a good idea to have any spillage in the pot.

The top of the Trangia does screw down and become spill proof if you leave any alcohol in it but I just like to be safe.

The cross stand is needed with the pot because the bottom of the pot is narrow and other stands just don't work right with the pot.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I made some modifications to the kit.

I switched out the Evernew Titanium Cross Stand for the Gen2 Folding Firebox Nano Ultralight Backpacking 3" Stove. The stove when folded fits inside the Stanley Adventure Cook Camp System.
http://www.fireboxstove.com/3-inch-folding-firebox-nano
Weight 6 oz .

This way I can use it as a wood burner or drop in a Trangia alcohol burner and it has three different heights for the burner. then the Nano doubles as the windscreen for the Trangia.
https://www.amazon.com/Trangia-Spirit-B ... B000AR7970
Weight 4 oz.

I added a stainless steel cup and got rid of the plastic ones that came with the set. The Olicamp Space Saver Cup's which fits over the bottom of the Stanley Adventure Cook Camp System. Plus it can be used over a fire without any worries.
http://www.fireboxstove.com/space-saver-cup
Weight 3.2 oz

All of it together fits inside the main section of a Condor H2O Pouch (Multicam, 10 x 4Dia-Inch). Including the Trangia burner and 50 feet of para cord.
https://www.amazon.com/Condor-H2O-Pouch ... B0086UBPDM
Weight of only the condor pouch 7 oz

The outside pocket I have a Fero rod ( http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/pro ... el-20.aspx ) for fire starting or lighting the alcohol and a 8 ounce ( Flask shaped ) plastic bottle for the Trangia burner's alcohol.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
grandpa paddler said:
For stove I use this Trangia, not as fast to a boil as my pocket rocket but it simmers.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/spirit-stove.html

With the Evernew cross stand there was no way I could use the simmer ring on the Trangia. With the Gen2 Folding Firebox Nano and the Trangia in the suggested spot ( Upper one ) the simmering ring can be used. They even have a small heat shield that fits on one side of the stove to keep the handle of the pot from getting hot.

I do like that simmering ring. You get into camp and want something to eat but are not in a big hurry. Drop the simmering ring on the burner with the ring about 1/4 to 3/8 inch open at the widest. Yes it does take longer but out camping who gets in a hurry. I usually take that time to hang my hammock.

Stanley does have some good quality merchandise at a reasonable price.
The nice thing about stainless is if you want to you can use it over a fire or on hot coals. The way the bottom edges are with the curve to them and not a 90 degree bend is really easy to clean the inside.

The bottom and outside of mine has lost its shine. It's black from being used ( at times ) over a wood burning backpacking stove. It seams to help it warm up quicker when I use the Trangia.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I have a couple of stainless steel pots. Things burn onto them way too quickly. One, burnt on some oatmeal one morning whilst I was in a conversation longer than I should have been. No amount of scrubbing - even a rotary wire brush on an electric drill - ever recovered the pan. Now, on all pans with all stoves, I put the lid of a tin can over the flame, and set the pot onto that.

I use stoves that burn Coleman fuel. I don't think an alchol stove needs a flame spreader/heat shield? On wood burners, I've only boiled water. Once kn a while, about every 5-10 years, I cook steaks directly on the coals. That saves dishes!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I guess you have never used a wood burning backpacking stove. The flames at times will get rather high if you are not careful. If the wind blows the wrong direction they can go all the way up the side of a pot and really warm up the wire handle.
Same with a alcohol burner if the wind whips the flame up the side of the pot. For some reason it is always the side where the handles are folded out and together.

For better words the wood burner and the alcohol stoves use a open ( free ) flame like one from a campfire which is subject to the wind direction and velocity , not like a flame that's from a adjustable & controlled , pressurized , container.

A little heat shield is really welcome since it can keep you from cooking your hand when you forget to use the bandana and just use a bare hand to remove the pot.

You want to use a pot that will burn food just about every time , try a Titanium one. They are light weight and great for boiling water and that's about the list of the benefits.

Thar's :lol: a trick to cooking with Stainless Steel , use a lower heat setting and watch what you are doing. Some folks have even seasoned stainless frying pans making them non stick.

I wanted a frying pan that is a true Non Stick without all the chemicals. The Jetboil 10 inch is the one I found. It's 10 inches across and 2 inches deep with folding handles and a ceramic coating that makes it non stick while weighing 13.4 oz.
I got it to do pancakes in and it is the Cats Meow, the pancakes slide around in it like folks with ice skates on a frozen lake.
Only two things are cooked in it ...Bacon and/or Pancakes. :D I get the best results with a low heat setting when using it , 1 to 10 heat range , about a 4 is the best. I put a little dab of olive oil ( or cold Bacon drippings ) in it so I can tell when it is warmed up and ready to go.
https://www.rei.com/product/100026/jetboil-fry-pan

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I've used wood stoves with fair success. Alcohol stoves and me don't get along well. After using Coleman single burner (original ones, NOT dual fuel ones) and Svea, I quite frankly don't have the patience to sit around and wait for a diddly alcohol flame to get around to doing its job. I'd a lot rather use a wood burner. Just me; others find alcohol quite satisfying.

I'm curious, how does one go about "seasoning" a stainless steel pan? I never heard of that before - interesting. Do they build up a carbon coating like cast iron?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I'm curious, how does one go about "seasoning" a stainless steel pan? I never heard of that before - interesting. Do they build up a carbon coating like cast iron?

Go to YouTube and put in , seasoning a stainless steel pan.
Or just click here.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +steel+pan

Plus there is always Google for the information.
https://www.google.com/#q=seasonng+a+st ... +steel+pan

The 1st thing you will see on the google page is this.
5 Steps to Season Stainless Steel Cookware

1..Wash the Pan. Start by giving your pan a thorough washing. ...
2..Coat with Oil. Coat the interior of the pan with a layer of oil. ...
3..Heat the Oiled Pan. The pan can either be seasoned on the stove or in the oven. ...
4..Cool the Pan. ...
5..Cleaning a Seasoned Pan.

The web is full of good information and especially on southernpaddling.com. :roll: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Interesting, thanks.

I'm holding off till after the holidays to get a small , backpacking/camping , stainless pan with a folding handle to give the seasoning a try. Who knows , maybe Santa will bring me one but I am not holding my breath.

I located a really nice one but it was on back order. I left my name and web address back in September so they could contact me when they got them back in stock and never heard anything. Checking on it last week to see if it was back in stock , they do not have them anymore , deleted from there web site. :evil:

I have and know how to seasoned cast Iron pans but I have questions about the stainless. As you saw on the videos it worked for them.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
There was some conflicting information in the presentations. One said to add the fat to a cold pan. Others emphasized how important it is that the pan must be very hot before adding the fat. Some said that a single treatment was all that was needed. Another did six.

I'm not surprised at variations among them. It would seem to me that all of them work, just different. You're just baking on a layer of fat. I wonder if it wouldn't help, to scrub a pan with rough sandpaper before even beginning any of the procedures? Just like sanding old epoxy to provide tooth for the new layer. Seems it would allow a deeper layer of seasoning. Maybe sand 1/2 of a pan, leaving the other half smooth? Just a thought.

doc

Jul 14, 2011
Mississippi
Back from my Thanksgiving hunt; put two in the freezer and I'll leave it at that!

After going through many styles and permutations thereof, of solo cook kits, I've returned to my first romance. I' been using this kit now for a while and couldn't be happier. Starting at the top left, working down, then zigzagging: SS Grilltop stove from fleamarket (originally from canteenshop.com); Homemade SS fry pan (Leatherman serves as handle); SS Grill made from fridge shelf; SS GI cup with SS Rothco lid (lip pounded down to fit); Wallyworld foldable cup/bowl; 1943 GI SS canteen (later GI's were made from aluminum); Doc's patented camp spat; And a SS double grease cup from fleamarket, with steel wool inside for use as an alcohol burner to use if conditions preclude having a fire. All of it fits into the aftermarket canteen pouch.

I tried to upload a pic of everything but the site said the file was too big??? Anyway, I figure I have about $25.00 in the whole kit.

Doc

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Doc....
It's always a good thing when you manage to hit on a combination that works for you and you are happy with it. When that happens then the old saying of If it Ain't Broken Don't Fix It ... applies. :D

No need for a picture I'm sure most of us can visualize everything.

The old stainless steel items were something else , I managed ( a long time ago ) to locate one of the old GI Mess Kits in stainless and good condition that they issued back in the dark ages. It fit in the canoes food box like it was made for it. :)

Several of the guys on our canoe trips also had them as there cooking and eating dishes. One additional benefit is when you close them up there is a decent amount of storage space inside them. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
There was some conflicting information in the presentations. One said to add the fat to a cold pan. Others emphasized how important it is that the pan must be very hot before adding the fat. Some said that a single treatment was all that was needed. Another did six.

Jack......

I found nice stainless steel pan at Cabelas , not crazy about the cost of it so I decided to let Cabelas buy it for me as my ( Upcoming ) Birthday Present. :D
As a Cabelas Member I accrue points with every purchase for anything from anywhere. I was wondering when I would use some of them and this is as good of a time to do that as any.

s7_552752_imageset_04

It's a Primus Stainless Steel campfire frying pan. It is 8.25 inches wide and weighs 13.7 oz. The handle folds under the pan against the bottom and not into the open area of it. It should make a nice , indestructible , camp pan for frying things over a burner or a fire after it is seasoned.

While placing the order for it there was a pause on the other end of the phone line when I said the smaller of the two pans. Then I explained that I need the smaller pan so when I cook a fish in it the fish will appear to be larger then normal. :wink: The larger pan would make the fish appear a lot smaller then it would be. :roll:
I guess I was talking to a fisherman since it he agreed with me on the smaller pan or somehow he knows my fishing abilities , one or the other.

When it gets here I will find out about the seasoning of a stainless steel frying pan.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
None of the articles mentioned this, but it might be a good idea to not be putsing around with metal utensils on this? That could dig up or scrape off some of the crusted seasoning. Might even want to put a pad (a potholder would prove handy) between the folded handle and the inside of the pan.