Intro and new boat build | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Intro and new boat build

Kudzu

Dec 24, 2009
mike said:
maybe the camera just makes the wood look "fat".

LOL Maybe that is it. :mrgreen:

Is this better?

cast-away-153-5.jpg

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
oh yea
now thats my kind of work shop.
The frame looks fine.
Ron
Jack just had his funny glasses on ,they make everything look bigger

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
As a well scratched boat is a well loved boat, a well cluttered workshop is a well loved workshop. One time, on the Brazos, I had on my funny glasses. Ronnie looked like a handsome fellow. I knew right away something was wrong! :lol:

On that bifurcated bow of Kudzu's - they were discussed at length on another forum years ago. Some had ideas of improved hydrodynamics etc. I figured they actually came about from one of three possible sources:
1. Some religious dictate made up by a village medicine man.
2. To hook onto fish nets so a few boats could cruise a bay while easily dragging a large net.
3. Some guy tried it, attracted the attention of the prettiest gal in camp, and then all other paddlers tried it too.

Kudzu

Dec 24, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
I figured they actually came about from one of three possible sources:
1. Some religious dictate made up by a village medicine man.
2. To hook onto fish nets so a few boats could cruise a bay while easily dragging a large net.
3. Some guy tried it, attracted the attention of the prettiest gal in camp, and then all other paddlers tried it too.

:lol: :lol: Love it!

I am torn between #1 and #3. Granted there are different styles from different regions/tribes. But it always reminds me of the way the Salmon deform when they come back up river and spawn. Always wondered if there was some connection to that.

I don't own a Baidarka, I built that one for a client. I paddled it before I gave it to him and a couple of times since then. That is a boat I REALLY did not want to give up. One sweet paddling boat. Hard to describe the difference and I don't know if it the bow or not but I love to paddle it. Got to build one for myself soon.

One thing I did notice when designing it was that the resistance/speed potential is a little better than a boat with a standard pointed bow. Of course the bow shape increases the water line over a boat with a standard bow of the same length. The decrease in resistance is small but it is there. Otherwise I stay out of the debates. I think they look cool.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I remember seeing a picture of a Eskimo kayak with a protrousion on it but it was under the water. Kinda like the bulbus deal on the bow of ships. Probally served the same purpose.
Bob