Jambalaya | SouthernPaddler.com

Jambalaya

Waliczek

Jan 31, 2007
Kansas City, Kansas
Tomorrow is Shrove Tuesday, and time again to make my famous Jambalaya.(well, not really mine) Family alway threatens to be elsewhere, but they alway come over for a taste.

Yield: 4 servings
1 large Onion, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
½ cup Chopped celery
1 large Bell pepper, finely chopped
1 ½ pounds Sliced sausage (kielbasa or andouille)
2 pounds Cooked shrimp, chicken, crawfish, or any combination
2 tablespoon Olive, vegetable oil, or bacon drippings
1 cup Fresh, chopped tomatoes, optional
1 ½ cup Uncooked long grain rice
3 cup Chicken or seafood stock
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon Onion salt
1 teaspoon Black pepper*
1 teaspoon White pepper*
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper*
1 teaspoon Thyme
1 tablespoon File
1 teaspoon Oregano
2 Bay leaves Tabasco or Louisianna hot sauce to taste

*Wimps may use 1/2 teaspoon each of black, white and cayenne pepper; "Cajuns" may use 2 teaspoons each. In a large, heavy pot on medium to medium high temperature, saute sausage in oil until well browned; drain well. Add chopped onion, garlic, celery and bell pepper, saute until almost tender. Add seasonings and continue to saute for 1 minute. If desired add fresh, chopped tomatoes. If using chicken, add cooked chicken pieces to take up flavors. Add chicken or seafood stock and rice. Turn heat down to gentle simmer and cover for about 20 to 25 minutes. If using cooked shrimp or crawfish, add at the end of cooking time to prevent breaking down. Add hot sauce to individuals taste. Serve with favorite wine and french bread.

At Least I think it's good.
Tom

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Tom,

You 'n oldyaker done good today. The crockpot pork chops got my mouth waterin'. Yer Jambalaya kept it goin'. I am a big fan of mixin' black, white 'n cayene pepper with garlic powder 'n salt. I quit buyin' cayene 'n buy Zatarains Crawfish, Crab 'n Shrimp Boil by the quart. [Haz cayene, garlic, salt, etc....I even tote a shaker full with me when I go out ta eat.....'er on a geezer expedishun.]

I like bay leaves 'n file too. Celery iz more important than most folks know. This ole Jewish fella (who had a five star cafe) made liver pate' fer hiz pals. The first time I tried it, I wuz set ta gag, but it wuz good eatin'. He tole me that celery wuz the key ta hiz pate', hiz five stars 'n hiz good life. He always cooked with the celery leaves less they wuz droopy.

Funny how many good eats begin with onion, garlic, celery, cayene, olive oil.......

regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

If there be a principle that ought not to be questioned within the United States, it is that every man has a right to abolish an old government and establish a new one. This principle is not only recorded in every public archive, written in every American heart, and sealed with the blood of a host of American martyrs, but is the only lawful tenure by which the United States hold their existence as a nation. James Madison

dawallace45

Tom old mate this one looks like a winner , I'll be sure to try this one when I get the new kitchen finished , I just love southern cooking , need to get paddling again so I can loose some more weight , my wife has banned sweet cornbread from the place until I get my weight down to 200 lb , I'm at 210 lb at the moment

David

Slammer

Feb 16, 2006
South Texas
Though the jambalaya I make is a little different this one looks good. It reminded me of some spices I need to get and gave me some ideas.

When it is my turn to cook at work the #1 requested meal is Jambalaya, with sweet green beans, salad and Brocoli normandy.

Day before yesterday I cooked Gumbo with Andouille (2 lbs) and Shrimp (4lbs). Side was new potatoes with Corn on the Cab (boiled with crab boil) Corn Bread, German Chocolate Cake for dessert.

Breakfast was Biscuits and Gravy with Sausage.

Fed 10 guys for $47. 2 Meals all you can eat with dessert for 4.70 a man.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
You guys remind me of Patrick McManus' "whatch-ya-got stew". It's something best made and eaten after dark.

I just loaded the dehydrator with some niblet corn and sliced apples w/ cinnamon. Dried corn is tasty to much on, and in soups. Apples are just plain tasty camp fare - if I can keep Katie Bug out of'em.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Three and a half pounds of meat for a four serving jambalaya....

I like the way you cook. My son-in-law, on first trying my jambalaya, remarked that it had the most meat in it of any he had ever had.

Waliczek

Jan 31, 2007
Kansas City, Kansas
Seedtick, You have absolutley no idea how much my son can eat when he gets started. He does not live at home, but he comes here often to eat his mother's and my food. I told my wife that when he moves out, our food bill is going to take a dive. NOT TO BE.. :D
He apparently knows when something sprecial is going in the pot.
Tom

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Tom,

Don't be afraid to vary the recipe. Experimentation usually leads to better results. For example, if you're using a lighter tasting seafood like shrimp, try using popcorn rice. The taste of popcorn rice is usually washed out by the heavier flavor of smoked sausage.
Don't know if they sell Zatarain's parboiled long grain rice where you live but if you can get it, cook like regular rice and your jambalaya won't be sticky.
Game like squirrel, rabbit, etc. changes the flavor significantly over chicken. Swapping out some of the broth/water for the rice with beer or white wine also mixes things up. ALmost everyone I know here in south LA cooks a version or three of jambalaya and very few cook it the same way.

it's all good.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Hey Waliczek, Never met a BBQ I didn't like. You have any good rub recipes for smoking? Or are you gonna just brag about KC BBQ? :lol:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
yeah, c'mon Walz"

Give us the drum on the rub recipes mate.

A standard Aussies BBQ consists of all the blokes standing round the fire, drinking lots of beer and burning steak & talking important stuff like football or fishing while the girls are gathered somewhere else talking girly stuff. (what ever that is) :oops:

The pinicle of an Aussie barbie, is an untreated piece of meat burnt to a crisp while the fellers get pissed. We are havine one tomorrow night in fact and I would just love to dazzle em with something that was actually eddible. (Might even break out some dago red) instead of gallons of beer.

Nah, still have the gallons of beer but have some red too. :D 8)

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Some folks up here call cookin' on a grill barbecuin'. That aint what Tom iz talkin' bout. Kansas City does have fine barbecue, but not az fine az Memphis 'er Texas brisqet barbecue. :wink:

I never met a barbecue I didnt like. I nearly died 'n went ta heaven back when I wuz a judge.

I like ta cook a piece of meat on a grill like yer mates, but serius barbecue iz a whole nuther world.

regards
bearridge

There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued. Thomas H. Huxley

Waliczek

Jan 31, 2007
Kansas City, Kansas
Aw right, but if you tell where you got this, I am dead meat, and you will be responsible for the health and well being of my family, especially feeding my son.

Barbeque rub (kcbs)

2 cup Sugar
¼ cup Paprika
2 teaspoon Chili Powder
½ teaspoon Cayenne
½ cup Salt
2 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder

Combine all ingredients and use as a rub for any barbequed meat. Source: Kansas City Barbeque Society, The Passion of Barbeque

Enjoy-
Tom

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
oldsparkey.........

California rice????.........naw man, my popcorn rice is called popcorn rice and I think it's from Crowley, Louisiana.

It does have a popcorn smell and taste so it may be similar stuff

Next time i'm in the store I'll check it out

seedtick

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heys Tom,

Thanks mate, my lips are sealed. 8)

Your Honour, Judge Bear, :D

Some folks up here call cookin' on a grill barbecuin'

That is about the limit of an Aussie Barbeque. - A hot plate or grille, heated by gas, or woodfire with a bunch of meat and onions thrown on and a salad on the side.

We claim the backyard barby as an Aussie Icon when really all it is is an excuse to get pissed while standing round the fire. :D and burning meat. :D :D

mikkiespiccies036.jpg

Oh yeah, this is my work-mate "Elvis" at a camp out and barbeque last year.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
hairymick said:
Oh yeah, this is my work-mate "Elvis" at a camp out and barbeque last year.

Hells Bells Mick...........That don't look a whole lot different than a Geezer campout..........less the woman folk. And your friends are alot better looking than the "Over The Hill Farts" I paddle and camp with over here.
We had an ugly contest last Paddle/Camp trip we had, everyone took frist place. Except me of course..... :roll:

Tom....I'll be trying your "SECRET" :wink: :wink: in my smoker before too long.