Jambalaya | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Jambalaya

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Tom gave ya a good basic dry rub recipe. The holy grail dry rub quest iz never endin'. Some use dry rub, some use a wet sauce. Some like tomato based sauce, some dont. Some use needles ta inject sauce inta the meat.

The seasonin' iz jest part of barbecue. Some folks barbecue ribs, some like the big chunks of pork.....nobody (that I ever heard of) barbecues a good cut of beef. Barbecuin' iz slow cookin'......overnite, with the heat set off ta the side. Hickory, mesquite, pecan 'n apple wood are mixed in fer flavor....kinda like pipe tobacco mixtures.

Folks that cook at barbecue contests party fer days. IIRC the Kansas City contests are all blind judged.....the only way barbecue should be judged. All that Al Roker stuff iz show biz.

regards
bearridge

Always drink upstream from the herd. Will Rogers

Waliczek

Jan 31, 2007
Kansas City, Kansas
Bearridge,
My pork butt and ribs slow cook for 8-10 hours. Hickory and apple wood is my favorite, but I have used others. About 1/2 hour before taking out I brush on some K C Masterpiece sauce. Cold Bud Light ( sorry about that), lots of napkins. Peach cobbler out of the dutch oven finishes me off.
Well, got to get in the shower and get this epoxy smell off. Wife starting to get grumpy.
Take care
Tom

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Ya aint pullin' my leg, are ya? :wink: I recall pichurs of yer pals when ya'll git serius bout eatin', drinkin', tall tale tellin'......ya sho ya'll dont have barbecue cookin' downunder? I even figgered all our pals out in the Seychelles have barbecue contests. We got some folks round here who spend money on their cookin' rigs like the House of Saud does on gold faucets. I seen one fella who pulls a stainless steel trailer behind a big rig that opens out inta hiz cookin' area. He haz over $100,000 in it.

They have contests everwhere.....some givin' out purty big prize money...mainly in October. Memphis in May iz the big name in these parts 'n Memphis does have some of the finest barbecue in the world (the colored folks at Interstate Barbecue come ta mind), but most of the cookin' teams dont have a barbecue cafe....they jest like ta cook barbecue.

While ya kin cook barbecue on the grill rite over the fire, most of this contest cookin' iz really smokin' the meat, mainly pork. I reckon that keeps the muslim boys home. Most of these cookin' rigs have a fire box off ta the side of the main pit where the meat sets. Most of these cookers are welded onta trailers.....too dang big ta move any other way.

Round here we usually have some fellas who show up with a plain ole Weber grill 'n a cooler, but they aint out ta win nuthin'......jest ta have fun. These cookin' teams usually have 4-8 members 'n like a rock 'n roll band, they have groupies 'n road managers. Some show up with 20-30 folks'. They usually bring a few of those 50 gallon Gott coolers fulla cold drinks, but the whiskey flows like it does amongst my friends in low places. :wink:

Here iz the folks I had the fallin' out with over the showbiz side.
http://memphisinmay.org/home.html

regards
bearridge

That all men are created equal is a proposition to which, at ordinary times, no sane individual has ever given his assent. Aldous Huxley

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
heya bear,
y'all caught ne out. That piccieof Elvis was indeed taken on the morning ater a camp out and Cup Murrie where our meat and vegetable were cooked in theground. the maoris call em a Hungi and i think the hawians call em a Luou (spelling?)

We did have a standard Aussie barbie that morning with apiece of plat steel 3/4" think placed over the fire and various meats and eggs etc cooked for breakfast. :D

islandpiper

hey Wali.......in just a few weeks we will host the SMOKIN' BLUES AND BBQ FESTIVAL in Hammond, Louisiana....really big time with nearly 100 professional teams and more amateur teams than that turning a couple of tons of meat into hot, smoky bits of heaven.........

Call me anything, but don't call me late to dinner.

cheer, Piper

Waliczek

Jan 31, 2007
Kansas City, Kansas
Hey Piper,
you are lucky, I have to wait a couple of months before the smaller, local contest start.
Have an extra helping of pulled pork for me. I don't know what kind of sause you use in Louisiana, my in-laws in North Carolina, use a thin vingar base sause, and I don't favor it very much. I prefer a thick sause, with brown sugar, and some kick to it. To each their own.
Take care,
Tom

dawallace45

Tom

Got around to trying that Jambalaya last week and I enjoyed it , had to change it around a little , couldn't get the sausage called for so used Austrian Sausage , looked at the amount of cayenne pepper and thought well I'm not a wimp but I'm not a Cajun either so I just used 1 teaspoon each of Black pepper , White pepper and Cayenne pepper , couldn't get File so used a table spoon of Hot Cajun seasoning instead , wasn't sure how much Tabasco to use so just put in about a table spoon of it , when I tried it while it was cooking it seemed a little bland so I added another onion and another teaspoon of Black , white and Cayenne pepper and another tablespoon of Cajun seasoning , still needed a little more so I added another half a teaspoon of Black , white and cayenne and the rest of the bottle of Cajun and half the bottle of Tabasco , and threw in a couple of teaspoons of chilli powder and a couple of tablespoons of ground cumin to bring out the flavour , beautiful , but for some reason no one else would eat it so I had it all to my self , although my cat tried some and liked it but he's always liked spicy food as I've been feeding him my chilli for years ,

Made up some of the Barbeque rub yesterday but only put in half the sugar and salt , thought it was a bit light on for cayenne so used a full teaspoon , tried it last night , sprinkled it on a steak until couldn't see any colour of the meat and left it in the fridge for a couple of hours but when I cooked it was almost tasteless , so tonight I added three [ heaped ] teaspoons of chilli powder , two of cayenne , two of Black pepper and the same of white pepper , didn't have any more paprika but added another teaspoon of garlic powder and one of onion salt , tasted it and it seemed a little flat so added three table spoons of Vindaloo curry powder , it's a little better but still a little bland , what am I doing wrong with this stuff , should I be putting in on the meat and leaving it over night ?

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
hi Dave,

:shock: :shock: :shock:

You still have a tongue - right? :lol: :lol: :lol: Bloody hell, I like my tucker hot but that is insane! :lol: BTW I like that in a bloke. :lol:

dawallace45

Mick

Yeah , still got a tongue , I used to have my food very spicy but then my ulcer started having a reaction to it all and my doctor told me to tone it down with the Tabasco and such so for some time I only had the green Tabasco , actually I had it on every thing except ice cream and porridge , used to go through 3 bottles a week but haven't been able to get it for a few years so just use red Tabasco on every thing , I love spicy food but I can only have it for so long before the ulcer starts giving me hell and it's back to bland food for a few months then I pig out on spicy food again

On a different note , I checked on my Ryobi Battery saw and the laser light is adjustable

David

dawallace45

Tom

I turn 50 this year , Taste buds , I'm beginning to wonder , for some reason most things taste bland to me , every one tells me that my coffee and tea taste like soldering flux , lately when I make Chilli or Mexican corn bread I have to double up on the chilli so I can taste it , maybe it is me

David

Waliczek

Jan 31, 2007
Kansas City, Kansas
Well Dave, at least I have been warned..
Someday I hope to visit you beautiful country, along with N.Z., but you can bet your first born, I am NOT going to eat anything that you prepare.
Take care,
Tom

dawallace45

My wife eats my cooking but reckons the best time to eat it is when my ulcer has been playing up and the food is only moderately spicy

But you can blame my mate in Texas for it all , he sent me some Tex/Mex recipes and my cooking just got spicier and spicier , ulcer has been twinging lately so will have to back it on down for a few months soon , mate sent me one recipe that he called " Fire in the hole Chilli " bloody hell , the recipe seemed to consist of 7 different kinds of Chilli some beans and some meat , actually the recipe just said meat , I asked him what kind and he said it didn't matter as after the first mouth full I wouldn't be able to tell beef from chicken or hot coals from ice-cream , I actually did try the recipe after I tracked down all the different sorts of chilli and I really did find out why it was called " Fire in the hole "

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
About just a cup of water in the bottom of ya camp oven, bring it to a slo boil add as much chilli & garlic as ya like, stir in the cleaned and broken up crab pieces and replace the lid,

let it steam over the coals and about every 3 or 4 minutes or so, stir it again till cooked. When allmost done, take off the coals and let sit with the lid on for another 5 minutes. Remove the pieces and let them cool on a rack of some sort and eat when cool enough to hang onto.

Mmmm, hot chilli crab & cold beer :D :D :D