Jerky Gun Recipes needed | SouthernPaddler.com

Jerky Gun Recipes needed

dawallace45

Guys , I've recently bought a LEM Jerky Gun and it's great , my only problem is a decent recipe for it , I used the seasoning packet that come with it and it was rather bland , I then tried a recipe I got off the net and while it was a little spicier it still wasn't all that great , any suggestions , tried and true recipes , bare in mind I like spicy

I've been a big fan of Jerky for years , back when I used to hunt deer several times a year I would turn the whole lot into Jerky , so I would probably turn about 4 or 5 deer a year into jerky a year and probably about another 20 to 30 kg of beef into Jerky as well , you could say I was hooked and so were most of my mates , but after cracking some of my chewing teeth and having some of them removed it got harder to eat it but with this jerky gun using minced beef I can eat jerky again , good one

David

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
David,
Nathan (my son) loves jerky. Here is one of his marinade mixes for beef. Sliced, not ground. He said that you could adjust this for ground beef. Just mix small batches and expeirment. He said that he would look for his shooter recipie.
Jerky
1 Tsp Rooster sauce(That is what we call Sriracha Hot Chili sauce. Clear bottle with green cap and a white rooster srounded by Gook writing.)
1 TBL brown sugar
2 TBL crushed red pepper
1 TSP Lea & Perrins Wostershire Sauce
1 TSP onion powder
1TSP Garlic powder
1 TSP soy sauce
1 LB (don't know kg)
marinade overnight.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
David,
Subsitute Tabasco sauce only if you are in love with the vinager taste.Rooster sauce is a chilie sauce with garlic in it and there is not that vinagar taste. Put a thin film of rooster sauce on the top of my omlette this morning.
Very good. Spicy with flavor. Motst of the Oriental resturants around here have Rooster Sauce on the table.
Bob

dawallace45

Bob

Thanks , will be on the lookout for it , will give my Chinese mate in Brisbane a call and see if he knows it , he used to have a restaurant and knows all the Chinese grocerys , as I said I'll be down in Brisbane in a few weeks and may be able to pick some up if it's available

Looks like a good recipe and should translate straight across to minced beef , it's actually a little dryer than the recipe I got off the net , a little spicier but more well rounded

David

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
David,
I just remembered a site in my favorites. It is a great site. Scroll down to the site topic menu and you should find a section on dehydrating. Very interesting. Be carefuf while scrolling down because you know how geezers are when we see something shiny, got to check it out. Lots of shiny stuff on the way to the dehydrating section. Have Fun.
http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/
Bob

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
David, islandpiper should be chiming in shortly. He makes some killer deer and beef jerky. Goes real good with grits and eggs. 8)

Joey

dawallace45

Bob , Joey

Thanks , have been experimenting a bit and turned a Blade roast that was starting to suffer from freezer burn into some jerky the other day , used the Blue Ribbon jerky recipe as a base and added a couple of Table spoons of hot Chili sauce and two table spoons of crushed Ginger , not bad , best one so far but still a little bland

Will try Nathans recipe next

Can't find the recipe I made up when I was living up at Clermont , it was just the best

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My take on jerky - and all other dehydrating of food - is that stone age folks did it. So, I figure I can too; it's not all that hard.

But we geezers tend to sometimes over gadgetize anything we do. So, I have some tools and implements that weren't available in most caves in days of yore.

dawallace45

Bob

Tried Nathans recipe for jerky yesterday but doubled up on the hot chili sauce and the crushed red peppers and Worcestershire sauce and also added crushed ginger , still come out a little bland for my taste will have to experiment

Also tried this recipe

Cajun Jerky

1 Pound Ground Beef
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
2 Teaspoons (or more) Spice Hunter Cajun Seasoning
1½ Teaspoons Salt
1 Teaspoon Coarse Ground Black Pepper

Although I doubled up on the hot sauce and used two tbs of Hot cajun seasoning , much too bland but the dog likes it

My wife reckons there is some thing wrong with my taste buds and has been complaining lately that I'm putting in too much chili and pepper in every thing I cook , will have to get some one else to try the jerky , she may be right , I tend to have a bad taste in my mouth a lot

David

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
David,
I have heard of a deal that will cure you and make you happy or kill you deader than a fritter. Gost Pepers. Read somewhere that they will keep wild elephants at bay. Good luck my friend. Tell your wife to let me know where to send the funeral flowers.
Like they say in Japan. Rotts a Ruck.
Bob