Just another Paddle | SouthernPaddler.com

Just another Paddle

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Been paddling with my homemade paddles and was wondering if a larger blade would make a big difference. I had some spare time on my hands and a brand new 6 by 48 inch sander I haven't used so I took a couple of day and put this together. One more coat of epoxy and then 3 coats of spar varnish and it's off to the river to try it out! :D

IMG_1532_1.jpg

I did add some river birch from the St. Mary's river on the blade for accents. May have to find a downed tree next trip and get enough to do a whole paddle.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
buckisland1950.....

That is one great looking paddle and I really enjoy the art work you did on it , that is OUTSTANDING. :D :D :D

Almost looks like the paddles I did for the gang when we paddled the Okefenokee. Later I did one for Kayak Jack since he paddled the Everglades , out areas and islands , Outhouse Key.

I call it my Crock-A-Gator. :lol: Just an simple sketch done with a wood burning tool.
paddles%20001.jpg

Personally my favorite is something along these lines .......Especially since you want to swat them all night long as you try to sleep and they try to raid your chow. :lol:

paddles%20004.jpg

Chuck.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Still learning to use the woodburner, just a cheap one but it seems to do the trick. I like making the paddle more personal. Some day I might get as good as Chuck, really like the racoons!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
buckisland1950 said:
Still learning to use the woodburner, just a cheap one but it seems to do the trick. I like making the paddle more personal. Some day I might get as good as Chuck, really like the racoons!

I thank you for that nice comment and mine are nothing but sketches compared to yours , now if I just could make a paddle as well as you do and I truly love that Gator you have on it . it is a work of art. :D

My wood burner is a cheepie also , it ain't the wood burning tool it is how and the way a person uses it , just like the brushes when doing a painting.

Did not have anything to do one day so I took a wally world paddle and decided to combine a few things I saw on one paddling trip. Not that good since they were burned in rather lightly. That or this is what made me decide on the one with the two coons ... Ma and Pa raiding the campsite like the did in the Okefenokee at Cravens Hammock. :lol: :lol: Plus they did not have to watch Junior because of the cat prowling around like on this past trip.

paddles%20002.jpg

By the way the moon is depicted as catching all the water since it :shock: :shock: :shock: did not rain on that trip . NOT A DROP. :lol:

Another trip ... The Bass were hitting and the fishing was great , the coons would stand outside camp looking at us and ready to duck in the brush at any fast movement on our part , the Owls were singing all night long so after being home for a short while it was time to record that.
paddles%20003.jpg

Paper gets destroyed , computers crash , pictures vanish but a good reminder of a trip is a wood paddle and you can even use it on another trip. Especially since the other side is blank just waiting for a trip report to be drawn on it. :D :D

They would be a lot better if I put the details in mine like you do with yours but I get lazy when burning in a trip report , just for my records and use.
Not even saying anything about the wife fussing at me because of the smoke and stink. Guess my hurry up is that she chases me out on the back porch to complete them ( when she catches me doing them in the house but what the heck , I find out if the smoke alarm is up to date) . :wink:

Chuck.
Never have been normal in all my life and to dam old to change my habits at this stage. :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I do carvings and from those come the drawings ..... here are a couple of them that make me think of the Texas guys.

These were from 87 before I meet those misfits and great guys with there welcome to anyone and with Frito Pies on a river bank , can't say much for there little rain storms but they almost equal the ones we have here in Florida , almost but not quite. Not as quite windy , anyway not up to the 175 mph winds. Thinking about it there were only two who live in the state of Texans there so that might of dropped the winds a lot. I keep my mouth shut about being hatched out in that area. :lol: Kicking the idea around there was a Mississippi Lawyer with us ..... OK... I see what caused the problem. :D

carvings%20002.jpg

carvings%20001.jpg

carvings%20004.jpg

carvings%20007.jpg

This one or one like it is in the Leningrad Museum over in some place called Russia. It's a long story. :lol: :lol:
carvings%20005.jpg

Never trust an X-Commercial Artist with a lot of free time , especially while working for the Government , Ya have to do something to save your sanity during the boring times.

Sorry about hijacking ya post Frankie..... Oldyaker will get even with me for doing that.... That i can rest assured on.

It just strikes a happy note with me when someone does some art work on there paddles or the boats , that's what the finishing touches should be to really personalize the project. Anyone can make a boat , to take it one step further and personalize the project to there desires is a true art form. Especially with modifications for there individual use :D That is something a lot have been doing and it is great.
We have progressed a lot over the years and what the future holds will be amassing for our boats and the accessories for our pleasure.
:D

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
WOW! 8) 8) 8)

Really nice work, both of you. Sure wish I had that kind of talent.

Mike

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
I went to finish the paddle and found my spar varnish skinned over in the can, as it was late I went to the local box store and got some Cabot's Spar Varnish. To make a long story short I applied a coat and 3 days later it was still tacky. Not wanting to strip the whole paddle I preceded to apply a coat of Petit Captain's Spar Varnish which I have had great results with no matter the humidity, or temperature. While it did dry things up after several more coats the results was less than desirable. Out comes the 80 grit paper and while I took off all of the varnish and only some of the epoxy, after 4 coats of varnish I have a smooth dry finish but spotted in places. Oh well, it's a tool you know!

Went to the river this past Thursday (Ogeechee) and spent the next 6 hours cruising downstream with the paddle and my Merlin II boat. I found it takes some getting use to as the blade is quite a bit larger than my others and slightly heavier. I think I built this one a little stouter than needed but should be good for rocky waters. All in all I like the new paddle and it should work well when I feel the need to keep up with Kayakers and the like. For my every day use I will still use one on my smaller blades and take my time as usual.

I do think that when it comes time for new varnish I will probably strip the whole paddle, lighten it up a bit and refinish it from bare wood. I just didn't want to replace the fiberglass blade guard and have to reburn the gator picture at this time. Or I can just build a new paddle and give this one to a close friend......