Kayak Jacks Power Bars............... | SouthernPaddler.com

Kayak Jacks Power Bars...............

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack sent this to me and I wanted to pass it along to all of you , if you are like me and enjoy snacking on a power bar. :D

Power Bars
6 cups oatmeal;
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans or almonds;
1 cup sunflower seeds;
1 cup raisins;
1 cup dried cranberries or cherries (raisins, cherries, or cranberries are sticky, separate them and dust them with pre-measured milk powder before adding to the mix);
1 cup powdered milk;
1 cup unsweetened chocolate chips
1 cup applesauce;
1 cup + 4 Tbsp honey - (Warming the honey for about 30 seconds in the microwave helps).

Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Add applesauce and honey and mix again. Press firmly into 12" X 17" baking pan w/ raised edges, and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

These are a stand-by for me. Breakfast, lunch, extra day's food. Eat'em on the roll whilst sipping hot tea. Second best thing in the whole world to eat.

Chucks Notes............
Kayak Jack advises to eat them on the roll but did not say which type, Sour Dough, Kaiser, Potato , Regular, with or without sesame seeds ..... so I am thinking he meant while paddling or hiking and not the bread type of roll. :roll:

1.........By the way I suggested using all three type of nut's to make the cup full of the walnuts, pecans and almonds.
2.........For me I would like a sprinkling of cinnamon with the applesauce.
3....... 4 tablespoons of honey equals 1/4 cup.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Great recipe! Think I'll use grits instead of powdered milk, and scotch instead
of honey! Thanks Jack! :p

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Gree-itz are OK - but keep them away from open flame. They'd be handy for fighting off critters and patching boats too.

I thought, however, that you'd use some Dago red, not Scotch. but, then, maybe a combination of Dago red wine and gree-itz would be hypergolic (self-igniting, as in some rocket fuels). Then, we could stuff some into a hollow log and use them for artillery.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Today I made Kayak Jacks Power Bars and they are good. :D

I started with a large bowl and had to graduate to a really big bowl to mix everything in. It is a large recipe and you do get a lot of bars ( 26) from it which is really nice since they are darn good.

The nice thing is that you know what is in them and there are no preservatives ... it is all natural and tasty.

The 6 cups of oatmeal is one 18 oz container of the oatmeal, actually it is about 6 1/3 cups but I used all of it today. I also added some cinnamon to the recipe since I like cinnamon. It does kick it up a notch, anyway for me it does.

When you are patting the mixture down in the baking pan if you wet your hands then the mix will not stick to your hands , remember it has some stickey honey in it.

I also found that after you take the tray out of the oven then let it cool for a short time and then cut the bars to the size you want and transfer then (by using a spatula) to some tin foil to cool before packing (bagging) them.

Here is what my batch looks like ... minus one bar that was tasted for quality control while it was still warm , Yum..

power%20bars%20006.jpg

A close up of one of them........ 2nd one from the left on the front row in the above picture..... right above this picture. The cranberry's sure plumped up.
power%20bars.jpg

Almost time to pack them in snack size Zip Lock bags........

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Good job, Chuckie. Now you'll grow up big and strong (and handsome) like me. Don't forget to cleanup your plate and brush your teeth.

Seriously, I'm glad you like them. They don't seem to keep long at my house. Katie dog-robs them. She also gets into the jerky and smoked sausage. (Lately, she's been eyeing my seegars. Gonna have to watch her more closely, I guess.)

adminold

Aug 24, 2003
Toronto Canada
www.neilbank.com
The wife got home from work and then Mary pulled in at her place , then came over here.
After they tried one of the bars several of them went home with Mary so she can share them with her fellow workers tomorrow, the wife has claimed some for her work.

Then Mary reminded me she will be in Canada with Neil for the next two weeks, Leaving Friday morning , for some camping and having a good time so she placed an order for a batch of them so they along with there friends can enjoy them.

Yep ... Jack... They are NO GOOD ... :roll:
No one likes them. Thanks Buddy ... now I am spending all of my time in the kitchen cooking your Power Bars. If and when we ever paddle together get ready to do a lot of bailing when you are in your boat .... I have the hole saw here at the house and ready to travel.

Chuck.
PS. Even ole Pup's likes them , he wanted to eat the zip lock bag that one of them was in after having a small piece of the real McCoy. :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
From the SouthernPaddler Kitchen.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I made a few changes in the recipe for the power bars since I get hungry for fruits or veggies when out camping and paddling.
The change makes the power bars more of a fruit bar and kicks them up a notch.

The Raisins come in a cup and a half package and so do the Cranberries so I used the full packs ..... increasing the fruit amount by 1/2 cup for each.

Then I added some Nutmeg, Ground Cloves (1/2 teaspoon, each) and 1/2 Tablespoon of Ground Cinnamon to the mix, everything else remained the same.
Mixed the batch up really good then put it in the pan and baked it. The additional items did kick it up a notch and the extra fruit makes for one soft, sweet and chewy bar.

If you use the 12 x 17 pan that Jack recommends then when it comes out of the oven, let it cool for a short time and slice the batch down the center for the entire 17 inches, now go back and cut across that cut about 1 1/2 inches in from the edge, do this down the whole pan.
Those sections, after you take them out and let them cool will just fit in a snack size Zip Lock bag .... One per bag. :D

I have a sneaky feeling this batch will be with Mary and on an airplane going to Toronto in the morning. :roll:
Thinking about it .... When Jack and I ever get together for a paddling trip, I can make up a batch and put chopped up prunes in there in place of the cranberries, then sit back in camp and lock the door to the port potty.
It would give a whole new meaning to the term ... Power Bar , might even call it a Go Power Bar. :lol:
Heck I might even sell tickets to the show. :p

Happy paddling and snacking..................

Chuck.
PS. You can also be a southernpaddler Chief and impress all of your friends .... http://www.cafepress.com/southernpaddler.6187775

Biloxi Bacon

Jun 11, 2006
They're bound to be good even without the extra fruit. More should be better, though. :)
How 'bout those cherries? Are those usually found in the dried fruit section of the grocery?
I haven't seen them. But then, I don't go down that aisle very often.

I'm dangerous around food like this cuz if I'm feeling the hunger pangs,
I'll go for the quick fix (and sweets) every time. A batch of these wouldn't last long at my house.
Coffee and a Power Bar for breakfast. Milk and a Power Bar for lunch. You see how I think?

-Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Sam's Club had the dried cherries a while back, it is just a matter of being there when they have them. I have been using the cranberries, the tartness of them collides with the sweetness of the honey and really tastes good. Sort of like a sweet / sour chicken meal from the oriental resturant does ........ two different sensations at one time. :D

You start to get hungry and eat one of these bars you will not be hungry for quite a while , it is filling , especially if you have water , tea or coffee with it.
Plus with these you cut them to the size you like so you have a good size bar, not one of those prepacked wimpy ones.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldsparkey said:
From the SouthernPaddler Kitchen...Thanks to Kayak Jack . :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a sneaky feeling this batch will be with Mary and on an airplane going to Toronto in the morning. :roll:

I was right, hit the nail on the head, correct all the way, knew it was going to happen :D .......... Last night a large bag, very large bag of them (most of them) left the house with Mary (the youngest daughter) and went home with her.

This morning (Yawn , to early for me ..... 5:00 AM , Yawn) when I took her to the airport (so she did not have to pay there outrageous parking fees for 10 days) they went with her. She even had one in her handbag for snacking on while flying.

She told me that she likes the ones with the additional fruit and spices. My guess it is because the Nutmeg, Cloves and Cinnamon are the spices I use in the Christmas cookies I make and she likes so well. Not saying she does not like the other batch because it also went with her. :roll:

She and Neil along with there friends will have some good snacks or full meals, which ever you consider the power bars to be, while they are tromping thru the Canadian woods and camping.

Chuck.
PS. Don't tell Mary but that is why I did the 2nd batch , to be enjoyed out in the woods and to make sure they had plenty of them. I am thinking since they are engaged and haven't seen each other for about 6 months ... Neil might need that extra engery.... :wink:

Admin Warning to Chuck.....FAMILY FORUM ..... Chuck ..... Family forum , Little partners might be reading this .....keep it clean you dirty ole man , you know the rules , you made them. :oops: Sorry Admin ... I was thinking .... hiking , just hiking ...... nothing else :wink:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Batch in the oven as I babysit my Grandaughter 'Ally-Gator' this morning. Used sliced almonds for the nuts and dried blueberries instead of raisins. Oh, I used dark chocolate chips.
On a side note, had a large black bear run out in front of the vehicle near Fort Necessity yesterday after picking up my Ally-Gator. I'll give Jack's Power Bars the Grandkid test after they cool down. :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
These don't last to long since I found they make a good breakfast item if you are lazy in the morning, which I usually am.

Besides adding some Nutmeg, Ground Cloves and Cinnamon I also added some Dried Cherries with the Cranberries. Next batch I might try some Mango or Pineapple (diced up pieces) in with the Cranberries. Even thinking about using some Candied Lemon Peal that I use in Christmas cookies.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

Besides following your recipe I like to add.....

The Raisins come in a cup and a half package and so do the Cranberries so I used the full packs ..... increasing the fruit amount by 1/2 cup for each.

Then I added some Nutmeg, Ground Cloves (1/2 teaspoon, each) and 1/2 Tablespoon of Ground Cinnamon to the mix, everything else remained the same.

Now I am thinking that besides the above items to add a cup of dried cherries and about a half of a cup of some dried, candied, diced, lemon peel might give it a kick.

I need to make some more for a trip coming up and want the bars with me for some swamp paddling and camping. I will get a batch made for the trip and if you get sick it is not my fault. :lol:

Chuck.